Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 AM

21 posts, read 27,955 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I may be spending four days in DC over the summer. We will be staying near downtown, and will need to get around on Metro. But now we have been hearing about youth gangs wilding on the subway, attacking passengers. Will we be safe during day trips to the museums? Is this happening at all Metro stations? What stations should we avoid?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,091,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyAmbrosia View Post
My girlfriend and I may be spending four days in DC over the summer. We will be staying near downtown, and will need to get around on Metro. But now we have been hearing about youth gangs wilding on the subway, attacking passengers. Will we be safe during day trips to the museums? Is this happening at all Metro stations? What stations should we avoid?
Be afraid!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,440,913 times
Quote:
Downtown should be reasonably uneventful, albeit crowded.

I've been riding for 6 years and never run into serious problems. We definitely have some behavior and criminal problems on the Metro, but the likelihood that you'll run into trouble in 4 days is very low.

If you really want to reduce the possibility of an unpleasant experience further, I would avoid the Metro around when school lets out (3:00?) and not really linger too long at the Chinatown or L'enfant Plaza metro stops. Be wary of your belongings.

All problems aside, we have an excellent metro system, and I think it's very tourist friendly. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM

4,370 posts, read 7,004,138 times
I agree with KStreetQB's comments. Also keep your phones, cameras, and electronic devices hidden where they cannot be snatched.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,633,393 times
It's not like there are violent gangs just swarming the Metro. A few incidents happened at one or maybe two stations, but hundreds of thousands of people ride the system day and night. The incidents make headlines but don't represent the daily experience. I ride it almost every day and have never seen any problems. Certainly no need to change your itinerary.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,194,871 times
Yeah I second the above. If you're just downtown or nightspots like Dupont Circle or U street then you'll be fine. The incidents are one of out a thousand. So just ride and be smart. Have a fun vacation.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM

21 posts, read 27,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's not like there are violent gangs just swarming the Metro. A few incidents happened at one or maybe two stations, but hundreds of thousands of people ride the system day and night. The incidents make headlines but don't represent the daily experience. I ride it almost every day and have never seen any problems. Certainly no need to change your itinerary.
OK. My girlfriend told me it's very dangerous there.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,935,143 times
Quote:
Get a new girlfriend.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,626,863 times
Quote:
Compared to a lot of places, statistically it is.

But that being said, it's not like you'll be in the Anbar Province of Iraq. Even I (a rather outspoken critic of Metro safety) don't usually feel unsafe on the Metro. If you keep aware of your surroundings and don't flash around any expensive items, you should be fine. All of the bad neighborhoods are not exactly tourist destinations, so barring some anomaly (e.g. that stabbing at the zoo on Monday) you should be fine.

These events make headlines largely because they do bring in ratings, but personally I make threads on them to bring attention to crime. Not because it's necessarily a "problem," but because I don't want it to become a problem. And if people are taking a firm stand against crime, it won't.

e: The troublemakers are usually incredibly easy to spot by the way.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM

583 posts, read 1,247,090 times
I haven't actually been aware the DC metro is such a dangerous place. Used to live in DC a few years ago and took the metro quite often. always felt safe to me and I didn't even bother taking off my jewelry. There are tons of tourists riding the metro, at least this was my impression. I am not aware things have changed, has it really gone downhill in a few years that much?

DC metro seemed always more sterile to me than let's say NYC subway, maybe some lines are better than others... I used to take Orange/Blue/Red lines and mostly to the museums or the shopping centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC