Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times

Advertisements

I don't think any neighborhood is "immune" to gentrification. However, I would say that areas east of the Anacostia are least likely to get gentrified anytime soon with the possible exception of Anacostia itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't think any neighborhood is "immune" to gentrification. However, I would say that areas east of the Anacostia are least likely to get gentrified anytime soon with the possible exception of Anacostia itself.
There are a number of neighborhoods east of the river that are amongst the city's premier locales. I sometimes think people just assume everything eotr is one big ghetto. Not true at all.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There are a number of neighborhoods east of the river that are amongst the city's premier locales. I sometimes think people just assume everything eotr is one big ghetto. Not true at all.
I never said or implied that every neighborhood east of the Anacostia was bad. I'm aware that Hillcrest for example is nice. I just don't think much will happen in that area until other parts of the city west of the river are gentrified. Trinidad and Eckington come to mind. They'll be gentrified first.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I never said or implied that every neighborhood east of the Anacostia was bad. I'm aware that Hillcrest for example is nice. I just don't think much will happen in that area until other parts of the city west of the river are gentrified. Trinidad and Eckington come to mind. They'll be gentrified first.
Eckington looks like a beautiful area. I've long been impressed just viewing via google maps.

I think what surprises me most is how beautiful some of these 'sketch' areas are....many parts of Maryland PG County as well - Hyattsville and Mount Ranier come to mind.

I think what's not attractive is those garden style apartments that occupy places...I don't think those would gentrify anytime as long as they're standing.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Such as what, Hillcrest? I mean it's nice over there but I wouldn't call it premier by any strectch of the imagination.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:23 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Such as what, Hillcrest? I mean it's nice over there but I wouldn't call it premier by any strectch of the imagination.
Yeah, I don't think there are any neighborhoods EOTR that could be considered "premier," if we're using premier as a synonym for "sought-after" "high-end" or "exclusive".

There are certainly nice neighborhoods EOTR. Hillcrest is one, Dupont Park is another, and Anacostia itself is continuing to transition. But "premier" denotes some level of exclusivity or uniqueness, and I don't really see that for any neighborhoods in wards 7 and 8.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
That said, perhaps the LEAST likely neighborhoods to be gentrified, or become unaffordable, anytime soon (and of course "gentrification" is a relative, amorphous term) are probably the outer fringes of southern Southeast near Southern Avenue and the PG line (Washington Highlands, Shipley Terrace, Congress Heights which are also near the aromatic Blue Plains treatment plant), areas of outer Northeast like Deanwood and Woodridge, neighborhoods near the eastern edge of East Capitol Street and maybe even more westernly areas like Takoma and Lamont Riggs which seem stubbornly stuck in poverty and crime despite the nearby resurgence of downtown Silver Spring and Takoma Park. Given the booming population and changing perception of the city, however, there's probably nowhere that's "safe" from gentrification. Housing pressures and rising prices will continue throughout the city for the foreseeable future.
I have friends who bought condos in Congress Heights and near the SE Tennis Center. They're banking on the Metro stop raising the value of their property. The biggest problem I see with buying in that area is that it borders parts of Maryland that won't be nice for a very long time. Georgia Avenue, on the other hand, leads out to Silver Spring. Rhode Island leads out to Mt. Rainier/Hyattsville, which may not be the best of areas, but it's not Iverson Mall either. As long as Suitland, Temple Hills, Capitol Heights, etc remain the same, I don't see too many people trying to move over there. Plus, as someone said, the housing stock over there is not very attractive.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Yeah, I don't think there are any neighborhoods EOTR that could be considered "premier," if we're using premier as a synonym for "sought-after" "high-end" or "exclusive".

There are certainly nice neighborhoods EOTR. Hillcrest is one, Dupont Park is another, and Anacostia itself is continuing to transition. But "premier" denotes some level of exclusivity or uniqueness, and I don't really see that for any neighborhoods in wards 7 and 8.
You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between several of the neighborhoods EOTR and several west of the park. I'm not saying their property values are the same, but in terms of livability, quality housing, safety, and just overall nice areas, they more than hold their own.

My broader point was that there are many parts EOTR more gentrified than the gentrifying areas west of it. So, it just seemed odd to say gentrification would never come to a place gentrification has already come.

I agree with bajan above that places like Suitland / Temple Hills / Capitol Heights will probably be the long-term holdouts. Those ugly garden-style apartments get torn down when development comes through - usually replaced by townhouses or maybe highrises.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
I know a good number of people who bought in Anacostia, too. Everybody keeps saying it's going to be the next hot thing, but I don't see anything attractive about it right now. The river development might make it more interesting, but other than that, what's the appeal? If I were going to buy in the middle of the hardcore ghetto, I'd move to Trinidad before Anacostia.

By the way, do you think the Trinidad name will stick as gentrification progresses, or will it be named something more delectable like "Blueberry Hill," "Independence Heights," or "Southern Liberties?"

Old 06-02-2011, 02:49 PM

I too think Trinidad will gentrify before Anacostia which was my previous point. It just makes sense geographically due to being closer to already gentrified areas. With H street transitioning I'm sure Trinidad is soon to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC