Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

There's been a lot of talk on this board lately about people moving back into the city and transforming neighborhoods. Clearly, neighborhoods like Columbia Heights and Bloomingdale, with their beautiful housing stock, are preferred by gentrifiers. But what about Ivy City? Or Deanwood? Or Congress Heights? Which neighborhoods are so poorly located, so crime infested, or so far away from the city's core that they stand virtually zero chance of being gentrified in our lifetime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,109 times
Upper Upper NE.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 PM

290 posts, read 633,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's been a lot of talk on this board lately about people moving back into the city and transforming neighborhoods. Clearly, neighborhoods like Columbia Heights and Bloomingdale, with their beautiful housing stock, are preferred by gentrifiers. But what about Ivy City? Or Deanwood? Or Congress Heights? Which neighborhoods are so poorly located, so crime infested, or so far away from the city's core that they stand virtually zero chance of being gentrified in our lifetime?
Interesting question. Obviously such things are completely driven by market forces so as long as there are more people who want to locate in DC than there is housing supply there will continually be housing pressures. Still, despite all of the hand-wringing over "gentrification" it's still a pretty good "problem" to have. If you don't believe me check out the hollowed out remains of Buffalo, Cleveland, or Detroit. Certainly plenty of cheap housing there.

That said, perhaps the LEAST likely neighborhoods to be gentrified, or become unaffordable, anytime soon (and of course "gentrification" is a relative, amorphous term) are probably the outer fringes of southern Southeast near Southern Avenue and the PG line (Washington Highlands, Shipley Terrace, Congress Heights which are also near the aromatic Blue Plains treatment plant), areas of outer Northeast like Deanwood and Woodridge, neighborhoods near the eastern edge of East Capitol Street and maybe even more westernly areas like Takoma and Lamont Riggs which seem stubbornly stuck in poverty and crime despite the nearby resurgence of downtown Silver Spring and Takoma Park. Given the booming population and changing perception of the city, however, there's probably nowhere that's "safe" from gentrification. Housing pressures and rising prices will continue throughout the city for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM

336 posts, read 768,135 times
Any neighborhood along or near southern ave or lower eastern ave, Deanwood-Kenilworth, Lincoln Heights, Bellevue, Buena Vista, Naylor Gardens, Woodland, Shipley Terrace, Marshall Heights, Benning Heights, Hillbrook.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:18 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,214 times
Probably Swampoodle, also known as "the Anbar Province of the East Coast."

Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
Once people realize what a beautiful rec center Deanwood has, that mixed-used development goes up at Minn and Benning (Ray's the Steaks has already become a broad attraction), and redevelopment moves east, I don't see why the Deanwood / Minnesota Ave area would be overlooked.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Honestly I really hope Deanwood never goes though gentrification.
Maybe its because thats where I was raised, but it has a certain charm that you can't in any other part of DC.
Its nicknamed as Mayberry for a reason.
Deanwood is the "country" to put it simple.
It still has its southern roots and the people are friendly.
People speak to you on the street, if you walk pass a group of old timers or church members and don't speak thats considered rude. Deanwood has something special to it, I love it.
But that rec center alone isn't gonna do anything spectacular because theres always police presence and the kids/teens don't know how to act. Plus Deanwood is too far from anything, its out of the way, might as well be apart of MD. Yeah it has a metro station and its off a highway with another nearby. But its surrounded by no retail except carryouts, gas stations, corner stores, liquor stores, and thats it. Also that area is pretty industrial with all the car body shops and scrapyards nearby. Deanwood has a blue collar feel to it and thats rare for DC. I think DC is fine the way it is. Minnesota ave can change all it wants it to lol.
Even though I have fond childhood memories of how it used to be.
First there used to be a giant food store where the chartered health clinic is now.
Second that building where the downtown locker room and rainbow is now wasn't there.
Third the Senator theater didn't have any storefronts it was just abandoned.
Fourth, the yellow house on the corner of Benning and Minnesota has been there FOREVER lol
its even in this old music video right here:
YouTube - ‪Nonchalant - 5 o clock‬‏

oh yea and Woolworth nickel and dime used to be where the Murray's is at.
and the X2 bus used to run all the way to Capitol Heights instead of ending at Minnesota ave.
the U8 and U9 bus used to turn on Dix street and go by the safeway going towards Benning Heights.
before the V7 bus it used to be the V6.
now nobody can't ever challenge my DC-ness.
Born and raised here and I plan on dying here in the far future.

Got some more stuff to tell yah,
Did you know the Kenilworth Housing Projects where the first in the country to be bought by its residents?
Joe Lapp - Kenilworth History Booklet

Whenever y'all get the chance read the history booklet.
Just trying to spread some knowledge around on this forum because a lot of people are ignorant about this city and its history or just paint it with a broad brush.

Last edited by Yac; 05-30-2011 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
Yeah - it'd be nice if Deanwood could find that sweet spot of decreasing crime. Improving retail options, but not altering the fundamental nature / population of the community.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:03 PM

I mean I don't mind Deanwood "getting better".
But I just don't won't it losing that charm it has.

Deanwood used to have a Safeway grocery store before the MLK riots.
There even used to be Amish population.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:28 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
Deanwood may be loved by some of its residents, but I don't see much about it - other than location - that might cause it to "gentrify." There's little about the housing stock to appeal to the yuppie eye, compared to places like Takoma, Bloomingdale, or Columbia Heights.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC