Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,177 times

Advertisements

My family is getting ready to PCS to Bolling and I am trying to decided whether to live at Bolling or Ft Blevoir? Does anyone know how long the commute is from Ft. Blevoir to Bolling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,035,938 times
That's a complicated question - it depends on the time of day. The DC area overall consistently has the nation's second-worst traffic congestion, according to annual Amer. Autom. Assoc. rankings for the last several years. The enormous Woodrow Wilson Bridge (beltway crossing of the Potomac River) moves MUCH faster now since it was rebuilt and greatly widened in 2008 at a cost of $2.5 billion. However, you will have to still fight traffic on I-95 north in VA and then I-295 north in DC. Also, BRAC is bringing 12,400 more employees to Fort Belvoir and South Springfield later this year, which will greatly worsen traffic going INTO those areas from all directions.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the information. My husband would be working 7-4 at bolling. The housing and schools are much better in the Ft. Belvoir area but I'm concerned that if we live at Ft. Belvoir he may be faced with a horrible commute

Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,502,148 times
Former Bolling resident here.
DONT LIVE ON BOLLING unless you absolutely have too. If you have school-aged children, you'll either have to bus them to a private school or homeschool them. Public schools is not an option since you are in the worst school district in the country in one of the most crime- and drug-plagued parts of the city. The commute off Bolling to anywhere is usually a 50+ minute ordeal. The housing on Bolling is atrocious; we lived in a newer townhome, built in 2006, that literally started falling apart in 2007. Lastly you are 1/2 mile to the local sewer treatment facility; you'll know it when the wind shifts.
If your husband needs to be at work by 0700, the commute is usually light in the early morning.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the information....it's awful that Bolling and the surrounding areas are so bad...we will stay away from that area! thanks!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM

36 posts, read 109,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
DONT LIVE ON BOLLING unless you absolutely have too. If you have school-aged children, you'll either have to bus them to a private school or homeschool them. Public schools is not an option since you are in the worst school district in the country in one of the most crime- and drug-plagued parts of the city. The commute off Bolling to anywhere is usually a 50+ minute ordeal. The housing on Bolling is atrocious; we lived in a newer townhome, built in 2006, that literally started falling apart in 2007. Lastly you are 1/2 mile to the local sewer treatment facility; you'll know it when the wind shifts.
If your husband needs to be at work by 0700, the commute is usually light in the early morning.
Trying to break the lease on bolling now..

Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM

300 posts, read 604,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
LOL! I'm a former Bolling resident, too, and your post just took me back! They've been remodeling the homes there; they started a few years ago and about 3/4 of the base is done, and the new houses don't appear to be too bad...but the comment about the schools, I couldn't agree more! I had to go to those schools and I just HATED it!

Prior to Bolling, I lived on Ft. Belvoir and in the early 90s, a 30-40 minute drive was about right. I would probably tack on another 10 minutes for volume; in traffic, an additional 10-15 minutes might be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC