Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM

336 posts, read 768,321 times

Advertisements

You can tell the officer is from the hood lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
This video starts with the situation well advanced. The cops are already outnumbered and surrounded and the guy in the white shirt is mobile and aggressive. We cannot tell what actions the cops have already taken, but it is evident they did not work towards calming the situation.

It appeared to me that White Shirt was working himself up and enjoying the attention from the crowd. The longer the cops allowed this to continue, the greater their danger became. I agree that he showed poor judgment in allowing a physical engagement when other means of subduing White Shirt may have been available, but time was not on the side of the cops and a taser may not have been on hand. For a crowd of this size and given the unruly nature of the scene, backup seems advisable. IF backup was not available soon, IF no taser was available, then the cop did what he had to do to control the scene. He saw an opportunity to grab control and took it, albeit in a somewhat risky manner given the crowd and how quickly others can become participants.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
You can tell the officer is from the hood lol

Yeah, he wasn't scared at all. Ole buddy was dumb. I could see if the officer was fugging with him first (which does happen) and it pissed him off.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,364 times
Obviously the guy squaring off with the cops is an idiot, but the officer did a terrible job of trying to diffuse and contain the situation. He acted inappropriately, and could have put other people in danger by playing a part in escalating the situation instead of ending it. The inaction of his fellow officers is also disappointing.

I don't think that this necessarily warrants a severe reprimand, but the officers (all involved) should be required to complete additional training in crowd control tactics.

If a guy raised his fists to an officer on Bourbon Street (18th in Adams Mo is about the closest equivalent we have), that guy would have been sitting on the curb with cuffs on before anyone had time to record a thing on their phone.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That could have turned real ugly with that kind of crowd cheering stuff on, having cellphone cameras on it all, etc.

Notes:
-everyone probably saw the police as losing control of how to handle the situation properly, and went down many notches to idiot territory. The officer allowed self-pride to take over.
-the idiot guy in the white shirt lost the 'fight', but gained in the fact he was able to get an officer to react in such an unprofessional way. Ideal for stories.
Cops are only human, I think some folks think they are some superhuman species.

I long ago stopped judging cops since they deal with people I choose to have nothing to do with it on a daily basis. Sure they signed up for it but such prolonged contact with the dredges of society would have a perverse impact on even the strongest of minds.

So did the cop behave questionably? Yup. Do I care? Nope.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
This video starts with the situation well advanced. The cops are already outnumbered and surrounded and the guy in the white shirt is mobile and aggressive. We cannot tell what actions the cops have already taken, but it is evident they did not work towards calming the situation.

It appeared to me that White Shirt was working himself up and enjoying the attention from the crowd. The longer the cops allowed this to continue, the greater their danger became. I agree that he showed poor judgment in allowing a physical engagement when other means of subduing White Shirt may have been available, but time was not on the side of the cops and a taser may not have been on hand. For a crowd of this size and given the unruly nature of the scene, backup seems advisable. IF backup was not available soon, IF no taser was available, then the cop did what he had to do to control the scene. He saw an opportunity to grab control and took it, albeit in a somewhat risky manner given the crowd and how quickly others can become participants.
Actually, this is a pretty good assessment.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times
Default boredatwork

They both acted foolish but some1 armed with a gun, a baton, mace, but then decides to just throw them thangs....thats goin hard........anywhere else dude woulda been killed or beat off the break by the police...this coulda gone terribly wrong earlier than it did

Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,540 times
He lucky he not in the south.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:09 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
The cop or the crazy guy?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:52 PM

336 posts, read 768,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
or Boston, NYC, or Philly.
Police up there look for reasons to f**k someone up... especially an out of control young black male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC