Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:50 PM

35 posts, read 39,207 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I was recently offered an interview in D.C at a small non profit that says they will pay $29,000 annually. I know the D.C area can be expensive so I was just hoping someone could give me some idea of if this is a livable salary. I don't mind having roommates, but I don't not want to be in a bad neighborhood. I would be willing to commute up to 40 minutes. My school loans will run about 200-300 every month. Is it doable or will I be living off ramen noodles? Btw I am a recent grad so I'm not concerned about schools or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
No matter where you live, rather in the city or in the 'burbs, the only chance you have is by having a roommate. Find some friends or go on craiglist. That's your only option with a salary like that.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
Yeah man, craigslist it up and see if you can find a roomie, because on $29K, you won't be able to do much.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
LMaoooo...no you can't make it...do your 6 months - one year and bounce to higher paying opportunities....the dc payscale that employers toss at ppl is almost laughable.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
There are people here who would argue that you should "just do it!" and "you'll be fine!", but honestly, my advice would be: unless it's a dream job-type of opportunity, hold off until you're in a position to command a higher salary.

You seem to be aware that the cost of housing in DC is quite expensive. But with your current salary levels, you're looking at a monthly take-home somwhere in the neighborhood of $1800. From that $1800 you will need to pay your rent (an absolute minimum of $500 even with multiple roomates, for a crummy DC neighborhood or a far-flung one in the burbs), food, transportation costs (Metro/bus without a car, gas, insurance, parking and registration with), health insurance, cell phone/cable/internet, clothing, and incidentals (doctors visits, unanticipated expenses, travel, etc.) And that doesn't include any entertainment (restaurants, bars, shows, galleries, plays, etc.) or--perhaps most important--anything in your savings account or 401(k).

That's really, really tough. Now, I don't know what other means of support you might have in place, or what your specific situation is. So no one here can tell you whether you would be comfortable with this situation. But I can tell you that I *wouldn't* be comfortable, and would either look for a higher-paying job, or would wait until a better opportunity presented itself.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM

35 posts, read 39,207 times
Yeah, I used an online paycheck calculator and it said I would be in 1,700's after taxes each month. Like 14thandyou said, some people have been telling me it's a start and I should try it, but even with a ton of roommates I figured I'd be really struggling. Thanks for the input everyone, I'm thinking it's not worth the five hour trip to go interview...

Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Lots of bartending and serving opportunities to supplement some income.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM

161 posts, read 328,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy202 View Post
Hello everyone! I was recently offered an interview in D.C at a small non profit that says they will pay $29,000 annually. I know the D.C area can be expensive so I was just hoping someone could give me some idea of if this is a livable salary. I don't mind having roommates, but I don't not want to be in a bad neighborhood. I would be willing to commute up to 40 minutes. My school loans will run about 200-300 every month. Is it doable or will I be living off ramen noodles? Btw I am a recent grad so I'm not concerned about schools or anything like that.
That isn't going to work. Maybe $40,000 you could entertain the offer but $29,000 I wouldn't waste my time ...

Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
I started in DC at $28k in 2005. I made it work living with a bunch of roommates. Rents have gone up since then, despite the economy, so have a little bit saved up before you make this kind of plunge. You'll be walking a fine financial line.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy202 View Post
Yeah, I used an online paycheck calculator and it said I would be in 1,700's after taxes each month. Like 14thandyou said, some people have been telling me it's a start and I should try it, but even with a ton of roommates I figured I'd be really struggling. Thanks for the input everyone, I'm thinking it's not worth the five hour trip to go interview...
Think about it like this, is this job worth it? Is your salary going to increase or is this job going to give you the experience you need to get a higher paying job? If it can't do either of those things, then you would be taking a big risk. You have to think long term as well as right now. It's definitely possible to live here with roommates but then roommates can move to different areas, then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC