U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,640,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
Alright, right now we're paying $1100 a month for a small basement apartment (albeit in a great location in NW DC close to U St/ Mt Pleasant, etc).

I just found a 4 bedroom house with a 2 car garage and 2,000 sq ft of space for rent for $1100 a month, BUT it's 28 miles away (it's in Fairfax/Chantilly).

I LOVE living in the District. Love, love, love it. I always said I never would ever dream of living outside DC in MD, or VA, BUT knowing what I could have is sort of driving me nuts.

I drive to and from Alexandria often for school but it's against rush hour traffic, and while I've dealt with my fair share of delays on 395, I've not dealt with it daily. I also don't know what it's like to live in NOVA.

Someone please weigh in with some opinions, pros, cons, etc.

Have a small decent place in the heart of the city, or get an huge comfortable dream home 15-40 miles outside of the city?

I can certainly relate. I know for a fact that if I were to move out to Manassas I could get way more space for my money AND still have a reasonable commute. If anything I'd save a few bucks because of my office location. However, that's not how I want to live. I've learned that there's more to life than money and the size of one's house.

It sounds like you should hang around the city for a little while longer. Or at the very least consider a close-in spot like Alexandria or Arlington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think it depends on what else is going on in your life.

If you are single, and not into accumulating a ton of consumer items. Than it makes sense to live in city. Spending all your time shopping at malls and wal-marts to fill up a big place doesn't sound like much fun to me at all.
Speak for yourself. Shopping is the fun part. Dealing with that statement next month is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I wish you could find small but pretty homes in the burbs. Preferably near water. I don't want a giant house, I just like the solitude and tranquility of the suburbs.
Hurricane you can buy a small house in the suburbs just as well as a big house. No one requires you to own a McMansion once you live outside the Beltway. You can also just get a nice condo in Oakton. It was very quiet when I lived out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I would be skeptical of that amount of house at that price in that location. $1100 is the price of a average (possibly below-average) one bedroom apartment in Fairfax or Chantilly, so I'm not sure how you could get a four bedroom house with a two car carage for that little. Most places like that would be $2000/month or more.
Stephen makes a good point. Maybe the house is actually in Centreville or Manasass and the ad says something like "convenient to Chantilly and Fairfax" or something. I've seen bare bones houses listed for that much in Prince William county. So yeah I'm skeptical too. Chantilly is kinda expensive when you consider how far removed from the city you are. However, you still get more for your money because homes tend to be newer out that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM

9,396 posts, read 14,770,160 times
No condos for me, and I know... they just seem harder to find.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,169,776 times
It all depends on how much you make. That would drive your decision.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,615,493 times
You should know that if you move out to the burbs, none of your friends from the city will ever hang out with you at your place. Even if you have a big TV, nice pool, a wine bottle refrigerator or keg fridge, and a nice grill. That's just how it works.

Well, unless you're throwing a party.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,770,160 times
make friends with neighbors, meet your city-slicking friends halfway (e.g. if you live in FFX and they live in DC, meet in Arlington)

Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,043,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
You should know that if you move out to the burbs, none of your friends from the city will ever hang out with you at your place. Even if you have a big TV, nice pool, a wine bottle refrigerator or keg fridge, and a nice grill. That's just how it works.

Well, unless you're throwing a party.
SO TRUE !!! There seems to be some sort of invisible barrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC