U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 PM

7 posts, read 14,956 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am a young male professional (in my early 20's) recently blessed with a new full-time position in the Georgetown, D.C. area.

Arlington, VA is a desirable location -- a place near the metro would be great as well...but I don't know much about the area.

I'm just looking for a 2BR place (could be an APARTMENT, TOWNHOUSE, CONDO, etc.) under $2000/month, that is pretty safe with a short commute to Georgetown, D.C. (I will be living with my friend who will be working in the D.C. Metro Area as well).

Any suggestions or words of advice?

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:28 PM

132 posts, read 328,575 times
I hate to have to break this news to you but a two bedroom apartment anywhere near Georgetown or DC in a decent area is nonexistant. For that type of rent you would have to look way way out in the burbs, like Springfield VA or Herndon VA and these places are not going to be near a metro. I think you and your friend are going to have to move into a group house share arrangement with a few other people or increase your budget to a about $3,000. Sorry, but welcome to the DC Metro area which now trails New York city in sky high rent.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,647,622 times
If you drop the second bedroom you'll find exactly what you're looking for along the Orange line in Arlington (Clarendon, Courthouse, Ballston)

Old 07-26-2011, 07:20 AM

446 posts, read 1,560,629 times
Congrats on the new job and welcome to the area!

I think your best bet is to search for apartments along the Orange Line corridor in Arlington. Get the map of Metro's 38B bus as this is the "Orange Line with a View" as Metro calls it and will bring you right to Georgetown.

I'd stick with Arlington because you probably will pay slightly less than DC and you'll pay less in taxes generally as VA is a lower tax state, etc. Good luck in your move!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM

2,067 posts, read 3,291,211 times
Also consider Glover Park in DC. It has cheaper rent than many desirable neighborhoods in DC, but it's a nice area, and just about a mile north of Georgetown. No metro but lots of buses, and a good amount of restaurants and nightlife.
I'd say $2000 a month for a 2br is doable there, but it has a lot of group houses too.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 AM

220 posts, read 516,043 times
You might be able to get a 2-br "English basement" for $2,000 a month or slightly more, but I don't think you'd find something in a complex near a metro in your price range.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 PM

25 posts, read 61,400 times
You may also look around the Woodley/Clevland Park area in DC, it is a happening neighborhood and safe.
Now I'm not sure if you can get a 2 bedroom for under $2000, like the other posters mentioned you will have a better
luck with a one 1 bedroom.

If you are the type that likes to party and if you will be driving and want to live in Arlington, my advise to you is find a place
in DC so you have still enjoy the bar scene and if you drink you dont have to worry about those Arlington cops, they are the worse.

Moderator cut: signature removed, please read the tos

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2011 at 02:44 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,830 times
I didn't want to clutter up the board with another similar topic so I hope the OP doesn't mind that I'm kind of piggy-backing on his thread.

I'm actually in a similar situation. I've just secured an offer from a firm in downtown DC.

My max budget looks like $1300 (including utilities) and want to find a safe but fun area to live in, in a place that is either studio, 1 bedroom or shared with a bunch of other similar people (young professionals in their early-to-mid 20s)

Anyone have any particular suggestions of where to live, what to look for and if there's any other resources out there I could use? (Besides craigslist... becuase I've pretty much been combing through the listings there, but also because a lot of those listings are useless and really brief, I can't get a good sense of where or what is being offered)

I should also add, I'm currently based in Toronto, Ontario (went to University in Canada as well) so I'd be moving to DC with a visa and everything - If I were to try and find an apartment (studio or 1 bed) how would this affect my budget and what I could look for? (Especially if landlord does credit checks)

Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,687,577 times
I live in Arlington and its a great place to live but yeah as mentioned the cops are super strict. So living near where you party is certainly a good idea.

I disagree with the person that said one has to move as far out as Herndon for $2000 apartment. You can live in Arlington for $2000 but not near the main orange line stops. In places like Clarendon, Courthouse and Ballston that only gets a nice one bedroom not two. You're looking at starting prices of $2300-$2500 to live in those neighborhoods for a 2 bedroom.

The rest of Arlington would probably be in your price range if you don't mind taking the bus to the metro. Walking distance to the metro is going to cost a pretty penny.

Now one idea to consider would be living walking distance to a metro station further out like West Falls Church or Dunn Loring. That's if living near a metro is of utmost importance. Otherwise I'd look at places in VA that are on good bus lines versus walking distance to the metro.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,073,574 times
It depends on the level of "sexy" that you need. I was strongly considering this place when i moved. Virginia Management - Potomac Towers the location is great for the OP but it is not a new building. I know someone that used to live there and it checks out on the must have list (safety, no weird smells, no rats or roaches). The reason its cheap is because the immediate are consists of a 7-11, a bike trail and...well thats about it. Its a long (1/2 m) walk to the metro and mile walk to nightlife (1 mi) but it suits the NEEDS listed. Its about 2K for a 2BR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC