Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 PM

207 posts, read 537,608 times

Advertisements

I'm single and living off of much less than you stated. Its a struggle and its just me. DC is a great city but if you dont make a high salary, you'll live suburban and commute in or not live here at all.

Go to NC, you'll get more bang for your buck and have more space for a decent price.

P.S. I'm moving away from DC in a year, I just cant wrap my mind around the high rental prices. Its like paying for a BENZ but your driving a HONDA.

Again great city, very diverse alot to offer in other ways but with two kids finances are a big concern. Dont do it. Go somewhere where your dollar can go further.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 04:03 PM

132 posts, read 355,410 times
On a salary of $60,000 with two kids you will certainly have a struggle in this area. You most likely will have to find a second job and then move to a "not so nice" part of town for cheap rent. Certainly not worth moving for a $10,000 increase. Stick with NC until you get a higher salary (ie $85,000 at least) Good luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
If you're living in Gaithersburg and working in Anacostia, that commute is going to be hell.

Honestly, I'd take the job in Raleigh, your money will last longer. At $60K w/2 kids...its going to be difficult...very difficult...unless you think you can struggle for a year and you know for sure your salary is going to increase after that.
I do the reverse commute (SE to Columbia, MD) and it kills me. I can only imagine how horrible that ride would be going the opposite direction in the thick of rush hour.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM

373 posts, read 821,305 times
I agree that in your situation, NC is probably the better choice. However, you could make DC work with a little creativity. For example, look into living cooperative-style. The DC area has many single mothers, and you might be able to find someone willing to rent a house with you. Half the rent of a 4br house in a nice neighborhood would be less than the rent of a 2br apartment in Arlington. You would also save money if you go halvies on a nanny instead of putting two kids in daycare.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM

153 posts, read 526,526 times
If you dont mind a commute, northern PG county(Laurel, Greenbelt) is not bad and very affordable and is close enough to SE DC. The area is descent and Im sure you could find a 2br for $1200 easily and some nicely priced daycares in the area as well. If the DC area gives you the most oppurtunities in your field, I suggest you find a way to make it work becuase many people have similar and even worse situations as you and live here everyday because we all dont have 6 figure salaries.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 PM

330 posts, read 599,230 times
yes with two kids 60k is lower in the DC metro area. BUT Alexandria and Arlington VA are fantastic places to live both for YOU and the kids.. they will grow and have much more opportunities. Go for DC, you will have much more opportunities professionally and socially. Take the metro to work (you DONT want to live in that area). You will have a great life there. p.s. try to get a security clearance and your salary will go way up!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
Hello All,

I am a 30 year old, soon to be divorced, mother of two (6) (2). I am weighing a job offer in SE DC and one in Raleigh, NC. I know that NC would be best for the kids, but DC has more opportunities in my field (FED).

I would get a raise if I go to DC, but I hear that actually living in DC (for the average worker) is unaffordable and undesirable. I would like to live in Arlington or close in and rent a 2 bedroom apartment. I make ~50,000 and would probably get ~60,000 if I moved there. I would commute because transit is subsidized and I hear traffic stinks.

Would I drown in that are financially? I would need daycare for one and after school for the other. I was thinking about continuing to use the YMCA if possible.

The whole thing is making me nervous and I don't know quite what to ask. I do know the move would have to happen relatively quickly so...any advice or suggestions?

I thought of questions:

Best environment for kids? Diverse, parks, other kids, schools
Best area to commute from?
Affordable areas?

Actually you can get granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances for $900 in Montgomery County and DC. People don't really understand workforce housing in this area and most just don't know about it. To keep the area affordable, almost every building in the area by law are required to set aside a certain amount of reduced priced dwelling units. Many of the places in Montgomery County are $900-$1000 for $1600 units. Montgomery Counties is called MPDU. DC's is called ADU. People don't even realize this exists really. It was created for teachers or policemen etc. that can't afford to live here off their salaries. It's the law now.
Montgomery County, MD - Departments and Agencies

Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 AM

207 posts, read 537,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually you can get granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances for $900 in Montgomery County and DC. People don't really understand workforce housing in this area and most just don't know about it. To keep the area affordable, almost every building in the area by law are required to set aside a certain amount of reduced priced dwelling units. Many of the places in Montgomery County are $900-$1000 for $1600 units. Montgomery Counties is called MPDU. DC's is called ADU. People don't even realize this exists really. It was created for teachers or policemen etc. that can't afford to live here off their salaries. It's the law now.
Montgomery County, MD - Departments and Agencies
Yes many people do know about it, however the waiting lists on these places can be long and you need alot of documentation to prove it. You need at least 6 months of bank statements, you tax return and a letter from your job stating your salary, plus whatever else they may require. Start looking into now and also have you thought about going with a private landlord. Many people have nice income suites that they have made over just for this purpose, so you never know. Check into it. Craigslist is a place to start, not saying you'll find anything but you never know. Good luck. And I stand by my original statement, with two kids, if you want more money in your pocket in the long run, GO TO NC.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
I looked the schools in PG and I see they leave much to be desired.

I see affordable places in Gaithersburg and some of those schools are highly rated. It seems like it's only 30 miles or so away from DC. How bad is that commute on public transit?

Meatkins, I don't have a lot of debt other than my car, but I don't want to spend every dime on living expenses either.
I think I agree with the majority. NC is a better fit, but if you decide have to move to this area, I think you will have to choose between PG, some parts of Montgomery County, Charles County and Prince William County. All of these places have big red marks for them. I think the only advice I can honestly give you is to way out what is the most important factor right now. Do you really think your children's lives will be much better in this area? Do you see a better potential to move ahead up here? How much are you willing to sacrifice in order to eventually get to where you want to be living-wise and career-wise?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 PM

57 posts, read 66,848 times
Thanks for your responses.
I think DC is my better short term move. It boosts my salary immediately and my salary will stay with me even if I move a year later. I don't think my children's lives will be much worse in that area depending, of course, on where I go. There is soooo much more potential to move up there. Put it this way, my office has two people who recently returned to Chicago. They left making what I make and 2-4 years later they returned and make 2x what I make. They both agree that DC is where you go to get ahead.

I am willing to sacrifice my personal comfort for a year or 2. I do not want to sacrifice my children's childhoods or educational opportunities, but I don't feel like I would be doing that.

I know it won't be a cakewalk, but I think the temporary sacrifice is worth the struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC