Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Yep, fill the halls of government with elected officials who have taken a sworn oath to de-fund and decimate government, give them a few decades of control during which time they pursue everything within their power to accomplish precisely that, then nod in agreement when they point to their handiwork as evidence of government's inability to function. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Seems to me the declining popularity of the Federal Government is due to anger at the Bush administration's foreign wars and ineptitude after Katrina, followed by the Obama administration's failure to live up to its lofty campaign rhetoric and the recent Congressional impasse, and surely aggravated by the sense (rightly or wrongly) that DC-area residents are largely immune from the economic challenges people in other parts of the country face. Suggesting that the current unpopularity is due to some agenda orchestrated by Grover Norquist and his pledgees is perhaps a bit simplistic, though I'm sure it plays well in certain quarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Suggesting that the current unpopularity is due to some agenda orchestrated by Grover Norquist and his pledgees is perhaps a bit simplistic, though I'm sure it plays well in certain quarters.
I disagree. In fact, I'd argue the opposite: that assigning the root of anti-government resentment to specific events and issues such as the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and recent debt ceiling impasse is assigning blame to the symptoms, not the cause. One of the nation's two major political parties has based their entire platform on preaching of the evils and threat of government, and has behaved and voted in a correspondingly reckless fashion. The recent debt ceiling debacle is but the latest example of the results of the rabidly anti-"Washington" fervor that the likes of Gorver Norquist, the Tea Party and their ilk have sewn. So after decades spent telling the American public that the government is a fundamentally inept and suspicious institution that must be "contained", a la a disease, we are surprised that the message sinks in and reflects itself in polls such as these? I'm not.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
I agree with both of you.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I agree with both of you.
Not possible! EVERYONE MUST PICK A SIDE!

j/k

Actually, the more I thought about it, I'm probably not as much in disagreement with what JEB wrote above as my response probably sounds. There's certainly a great deal of resentment of Washington coming from both sides of the political spectrum, for various reasons--wars, rights/civil liberties infringements, repeated budget impasses, etc. There seems to be an undercurrent of resentment of "Washington" across the country for its perceived dysfunction and general incompetence.

But what I find irksome is the inability of some to distinguish between elected officials and the federal workforce. I find myself frequently exasperated at our elected officials, but I retain a generally positive view of the federal workforce, largely stemming from my own friends and family members who have worked in the government, or my personal interactions with government employees. But I also think there is a sizeable portion of the population for whom that distinction is immaterial, with everyone who works for or in "Washington" getting lumped together as inept, incompetent, distrustful, corrupt, etc. That's what bothers me.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
So wait - another poster's policy prescription to burn down Logan Circle and U Street (again) because some mid-level federal workers live there will not, actually, alter the way government operates? That, sir, is crazy talk. Next you're going to say a gunman shooting up an island of people isn't going to change multiculturalism.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
San Francisco and NYC are the only booming metros. They have real economies unlike DC, which produces nothing but put money in special interests' pockets,

Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
San Francisco and NYC are the only booming metros. They have real economies unlike DC, which produces nothing but put money in special interests' pockets,
It's the seat of the government for the most powerful country in the history of the world. It does slightly more than simply put money in special interests' pockets. Thanks for playing though.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
It's the seat of the government for the most powerful country in the history of the world. It does slightly more than simply put money in special interests' pockets. Thanks for playing though.
Yeah, like producing military weapons, passing legislation to start wars, using tax payers' dollars for wasteful spending, and increasing the deficit.

As much as you wouldn't like to admit it, federal money fuels the DC economy. All industries in the region may not be directly tied to the government, but most industries are connected to the government some how.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Yeah, like producing military weapons, passing legislation to start wars, using tax payers' dollars for wasteful spending, and increasing the deficit.

As much as you wouldn't like to admit it, federal money fuels the DC economy. All industries in the region may not be directly tied to the government, but most industries are connected to the government some how.
So you're saying that the city built for the sole purpose of housing and running a federal government has an economy that is fueled by ... federal money?!?

This is truly a brilliant insight. You've altered my entire view of the world. Here I thought we had an underground textile sweatshop industry that kept us afloat.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So you're saying that the city built for the sole purpose of housing and running a federal government has an economy that is fueled by ... federal money?!?
And never mind that hundreds of billions of dollars of that money went to bail out the economy of NYC. Damn federal money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC