Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmalbert View Post
I live in Fairfax, and what I usually say to people is "I live in VA right outside of DC".

Gets the point across without misrepresenting where you are from
But this is the equivalent of someone from Australia saying they live in "New South Wales." It makes you pause and scratch your head.

Then they qualify it with "right outside of Sydney." And you're like, "Oh yeah! I know where that is. Why didn't you say that in the first place?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I either say DC area or Northern Virginia, which most people seem to know about.
Really? Before moving up here I'd never heard anyone use the term "Northern Virginia" before.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
It really depends. If its someone from down home in Georgia I will say Virgnia right outside of DC. Sometimes I'll brag and say I'm a 15 minute drive from the White House. Generally I will just say DC.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
If I lived in Australia I would not dumb down my answer and claim I lived in Sydney (if I did not) just because I thought I might be talking to a person who doesn't know any other areas in Australia. Using that logic, a person living in Perth should also say he lived in Sydney because some people might not know where Perth is and they're in the same country.

I've traveled a lot in other countries, and I've never met someone who was offended if I said I lived in VA, and they didn't happen to know where that was. Here's what I've discovered over the years:

1. Most people I've met have heard of Virginia.

2. Even if they haven't, most person are just making polite conversation, they're not going to care if they know exactly where Virginia is.

2. If they DO care, they can ask.

3. Or, they can go home later and look it up.

If you want permission to claim you live in DC, go ahead. Why should I care? As far as trying to convince the rest of us that we should do the same.... Nope. Not gonna do it.

If people are really that unaware then I am doing them a favor by teaching them that other places besides DC exist.

Last edited by Caladium; 08-24-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If I lived in Australia I would not dumb down my answer and claim I lived in Sydney (if I did not) just because I thought I might be talking to a person who doesn't know any other areas in Australia. Using that logic, a person living in Perth should also say he lived in Sydney because some people might not know where Perth is and they're in the same country.

I've traveled a lot in other countries, and I've never met someone who was offended if I said I lived in VA, and they didn't happen to know where that was.

1. Most people I've met have heard of Virginia.

2. Even if they haven't, most person are just making polite conversation, they're not going to care if they know exactly where Virginia is.

2. If they DO care, they can ask.

3. Or, they can go home later and look it up.

If you want permission to claim you live in DC, go ahead. Why should I care? But now you want to tell other people that they should do the same, lest we possibly offend someone who is just sooooo uninformed he hasn't ever heard of Virginia or Maryland.

Nope. Not gonna do it. If people are really that unaware then I am doing them a favor by teaching them that other places besides DC exist.
It's not about offending anyone. It's about people's familiarity with place names and geographical accuracy, to an extent. BTW, your example of Perth doesn't work because people are familiar enough with that city.

Even if someone has heard of Virginia, the state covers a large region. Richmond, Roanoke and Hampton Roads are all in Virginia. Yet, they're pretty far from where you live. But Washington, D.C. is not. So, it is arguable that saying Washington, D.C. is more precise than saying Virginia.

Plus, it is unreasonable to expect people around the world to be familiar with all the states or provinces of countries. If someone from India told you they're from Maharashtra, would you likely know where that is? No, you would not. But if they said Mumbai or Bombay, then yes, you almost certainly have heard of that.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-24-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
No, it wouldn't--you're stretching this example beyond the bounds of credulity. It would be akin to living in Mosman, a suburb just outside of Sydney, and saying you lived in Sydney. I don't see a problem with that, because very few people will know where "Mosman" is located. It's just simpler. Who cares whether it's precisely correct when you're talking to an individual who is only vaguely familiar with the region?

Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
No one is so busy that they don't have time to say "outside DC" or "outside Sydney" instead of "DC" or "Sydney."

Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
i'm gonna start saying I'm from DC just to **** off the people who think only those who live in DC proper can 'claim' it (bet you a beer that half the people who think that way didn't even grow up here or have been here less than 5 years)

Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
No one is so busy that they don't have time to say "outside DC" or "outside Sydney" instead of "DC" or "Sydney."
Why bother? If somebody wants more details, let them ask.

Anyway, there isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer. I just wanted to see how people would respond.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-24-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
i'm gonna start saying I'm from DC just to **** off the people who think only those who live in DC proper can 'claim' it (bet you a beer that half the people who think that way didn't even grow up here or have been here less than 5 years)
Yes. And while they're at it, don't be surprised if they make you change your handle to HurricaneCollegeParkMD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: