Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/ar...n.html?_r=1&hp

The NYT has basically panned the MLK memorial - not the idea of a tribute, but the actual memorial that has been built.

I will visit it and reach my own conclusions, but the photos make the memorial look like something you'd come across in Uzbekistan that celebrates the glorious achievements of long-time President (and dictator) Karimov.

Do people agree we could have done far better to honor Doctor King?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Funny, I've thought the same thing when I have seen images of the memorial: it looks quite eastern European-dictatorish.

I'll reserve judgment until i can actually go and see it in person. Pictures rarely do justice to memorials on this scope. but I'll state that I disagree with the Times critic regarding the WWII and Roosevelt memorials, both of which I enjoy tremendously.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM

246 posts, read 589,130 times
I have seen it several times, and I don't hate it. I think it would be too assuming if it were a monument to a president or a dictator, but it isn't. It is a monument to a strong man who created power in himself through peace and reason and used that power to make the country a better place. I think that it is okay that it accent that power.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/ar...n.html?_r=1&hp

The NYT has basically panned the MLK memorial - not the idea of a tribute, but the actual memorial that has been built.

I will visit it and reach my own conclusions, but the photos make the memorial look like something you'd come across in Uzbekistan that celebrates the glorious achievements of long-time President (and dictator) Karimov.

Do people agree we could have done far better to honor Doctor King?
Haha. Or better yet a monument to a 13th Century Mongol warlord. I wonder if the sculptor's East Asian background contributed to this. Or maybe I'm just seeing things. I saw it up close last night and it just looks very angular.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 PM

361 posts, read 854,286 times
Hated it...until I actually went to see it i person yesterday. Found it moving, complex and accessible in a way the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials aren't. Although similar to the Roosevelt in terms of its setting, it's a lot less convoluted; the statue (sculpture?) is the clear focal point and people moved about it with ease.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
LOL the same thing has happened to every other memorial, so why should MLK be different? You aren't an official memorial in DC until the critics pan you. Then, in 2-3 years people will be talking about how much they love it.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 PM

246 posts, read 589,130 times
I still really dislike the WWII memorial.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Funny, I've thought the same thing when I have seen images of the memorial: it looks quite eastern European-dictatorish.

I'll reserve judgment until i can actually go and see it in person. Pictures rarely do justice to memorials on this scope. but I'll state that I disagree with the Times critic regarding the WWII and Roosevelt memorials, both of which I enjoy tremendously.
Ditto.

MLK certainly deserves a memorial. The setting is nice, but the statue itself is unappealing. What is with that stern look? MLK was a gentle soul and a pretty handsome guy. The statue makes him look like one of my hs assistant principals.

I cannot believe they could not find an American sculptor to do the job.

I think we will learn to love it because we are stuck with it and we honestly love the idea.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL the same thing has happened to every other memorial, so why should MLK be different? You aren't an official memorial in DC until the critics pan you. Then, in 2-3 years people will be talking about how much they love it.
This is very true. It's fascinating to go back and read some of the criticisms of the Vietnam memorial, for instance. And when the Jefferson was built the reaction was quite negative.

And I've enjoyed the WWII memorial since it opened, but I know there are others who don't. C'est la vie.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
I think there might also be more criticism of the memorial because we all know what King actually looked like.

Anyone born after 1963 who attended school in the United States has seen the "I Have A Dream Speech" at least 10,291 times. You may have even had to remember part of it for a school assignment. We've see King's image in Coca-Cola commercials every February and on calendars in hallways. The only two images more easily identifiable are probably Barack Obama and Jesus Christ.

I have only a vague idea in my head of what FDR looked like. And no one really knows what Thomas Jefferson actually looked like. I agree that people have criticized (and always will) all of the monuments, but the chief thing I seem to be hearing is "that statue looks nothing like him."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC