Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 AM

677 posts, read 933,604 times

Advertisements

What hurricane? Pardon the pun but here in Delaware it was a breeze. It is far from the norm for us to get CAt 2 or 3 storms up north period! But this wasn't even a Cat 1, at best just a big rain & wind storm. The shore areas received miminual to no damage. Glad I didn't fall for all the hype, folks cleaning out the supermarkets, buying stuff like they're going to be housebound for weeks, some even went to shelters (totally unnecessary), they chased everyone away from the beaches, boarding up everything, clogging the hwys for miles & miles of traffice jams. Bridges closed along with the majority of business's all the way inland. What a farce. This is why so many refused to leave their beach homes, they've listened to weather channels cry wolf time & time before, & as usual they're wrong. The remnants of Hurricane Floyd was much more intensive than this "rain storm".

Oh, the loss of power, sorry but the storm was entirely too weak to have caused that, it was done intentionally by the power companies to either conserve energy or some other miscellanous reasons, all under the cloak of Hurricane Irene. Please, don't make me laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
yes I'm sure there is a big conspiracy to just cut off power

Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
CF,
Want to combine our BBQ? I got excess coals right now.
Sorry, buddy. I lost power, but it came back about 45 minutes after. No "Q" needed.

I'll tell you what tho. I have a leak, if you're a roofer, then come over.

Not talking about a handyman
Not your cousin Pookie working for beer and trying to get some azz
Not your uncle knowing a little of this and that

Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
yes I'm sure there is a big conspiracy to just cut off power
Hurricane don't you know. All the power companies combined and shot a capsule into the sky. Irene was produced. Some more praying and the hurricane turned to the eastcoast.

An evil laugh from all the companies. Our plan worked as expected.

HEY FRANK CUT THE POWER! OKAY BOSS!

Hurricane, you know some people are so ignorant. I mean really.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Sorry, buddy. I lost power, but it came back about 45 minutes after. No "Q" needed.

I'll tell you what tho. I have a leak, if you're a roofer, then come over.

Not talking about a handyman
Not your cousin Pookie working for beer and trying to get some azz
Not your uncle knowing a little of this and that

I got a few tools I can use.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Oh, the loss of power, sorry but the storm was entirely too weak to have caused that, it was done intentionally by the power companies to either conserve energy or some other miscellanous reasons, all under the cloak of Hurricane Irene. Please, don't make me laugh.
I don't think you have a firm grasp of how power companies make money. Here's a hint: It isn't by not selling you electricity.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM

She may have a point in that they could have been diverting electricity to other parts of the grid, but that's about the only plausible explanation.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:09 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
What an overrated storm and after this past weekend, the Weather Channel is Fox News when it comes to weather. They had Jim Cantore out in Battery Park talking about how they might have 8 foot storm surges and I don't think that even happened. I can't remember the last time I've read about a hurricane, an actual hurricane making its way up the east coast. Tropical Storm yes, actual Hurricane no. They had Bob Williams or whatever his name is from NBC camped out somewhere on the Jersey Shore and they're like "this will be the worse nor'easter imaginable" and nothing happened. NYC didn't have to shut public transit down at noon. DC didn't and we were fine.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:16 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
What the hell am I supposed to do with all this water and beef jerky?

Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 PM

We have three cases of water. Three! Better safe than sorry I suppose but damn I feel like I got taken for a ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC