Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 PM

25 posts, read 67,067 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Most of the 1BR apartments in my price range ($1000-1200) are listed in this area and many nice places I saw were on Longfellow St. This particular place I'm interested in is on Longfellow in between 7th and 5th St NW.

I havent had a chance to visit yet but just wondering if this spot/area is hood. I work downtown so the commute appears to be reasonable. I'm mid 20's black male (if that matters) and I know I will be heading home late on the weekends.

Is this a transitional neighborhood or somewhere to avoid? I'd really rather not get a studio downtown, so pls help me out. Any suggestions appreciated, Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 07:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
It's pretty hood and that stretch in particular tends to have a rough reputation (especially on Kennedy Street). But, there's a lot of middle and working class black families mixed in and it's next to one of the longest standing wealthier black neighborhoods in the city (16th Street Heights) and pretty close to the rapidly gentrifying areas just to the south.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 PM

Appreciate the feedback...Its just such a good deal and a renovated apt that I'm thinking about just dealing with it. But if its really as bad as Ive heard about Kennedy St area might have to pass.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
When I was looking for housing, kennedy and Longfellow were two of the areas that got the most hits. Its a bit shady for me, and metro was too far away. If you can deal with it, go for it.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Be afraid of that 9th, 7th, and First KDY!

That's a go-go joint that gives a shout out to Kennedy Street. Longfellow is the hood.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarry85 View Post
Hello All,

Most of the 1BR apartments in my price range ($1000-1200) are listed in this area and many nice places I saw were on Longfellow St. This particular place I'm interested in is on Longfellow in between 7th and 5th St NW.

I havent had a chance to visit yet but just wondering if this spot/area is hood. I work downtown so the commute appears to be reasonable. I'm mid 20's black male (if that matters) and I know I will be heading home late on the weekends.

Is this a transitional neighborhood or somewhere to avoid? I'd really rather not get a studio downtown, so pls help me out. Any suggestions appreciated, Thanks
Well, if price were my main concern, I definitely would not mind living there. Metro's not close, but the 70 and other bus lines run down the Ave, so you should be okay.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 PM

361 posts, read 853,891 times
A friend looked at a condo on that street. A pretty nice redo of a old building selling at half the price of a comparable unit would sell for in say, DuPont or U St:
738 Longfellow Street Northwest #304, Washington DC | MLS# DC7679090 - Trulia

The neighborhood looks fine. There even seems to be a sprinkling of young Hispanic families in the nearby houses. In the end though, the amenities aren't there. If you're young and mobile, that shouldn't mater that much.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarry85 View Post
Appreciate the feedback...Its just such a good deal and a renovated apt that I'm thinking about just dealing with it. But if its really as bad as Ive heard about Kennedy St area might have to pass.

my young brother, the question you MUST ask yourself is...but what will the ladies think? (if you're into ladies)

no point in having a nicely renovated 1 bdrm apartment if you can't convince any women to come over late night lol

Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM

^ Excellent point ... I got a call back from the realtor but since a few days have passed I've reconsidered. The place is far from the closest metro and I don't think its going to fit with my lifestyle. Smaller apartment walking distance to my job sounds better ... thanks for the input !!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
A friend looked at a condo on that street. A pretty nice redo of a old building selling at half the price of a comparable unit would sell for in say, DuPont or U St:
738 Longfellow Street Northwest #304, Washington DC | MLS# DC7679090 - Trulia

The neighborhood looks fine. There even seems to be a sprinkling of young Hispanic families in the nearby houses. In the end though, the amenities aren't there. If you're young and mobile, that shouldn't mater that much.
Yeah, that's the same building I was looking at when I did my search. Great price, but again, it's far from everything. I don't have qualms about taking the bus, but I prefer not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: