Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times

Advertisements

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six I say.

If I had a gun on me and some ****ers tried to rob my store and I knew they had guns, I would have no problem killing them. To hell with company "policy," my life and limb are more important to me than some fat cat's insurance deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I find it highly unlikely that a petty thief attempting to get a few dollars and some oxycodeine would be so careless as to add homicide to his rap sheet.
Generally speaking, I think you're giving armed robbers more credit than they deserve.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM

76 posts, read 147,547 times
The pharmacist is lucky to be alive, and if I were him, I'd praise the Higher Power of my choice, and accept the fact that I need to find a new job. If his workplace has a policy that prohibits weapons, and he brought a weapon, than he broke the rules and must deal with the consequence. Didn't we learn how to follow rules in Kindergarten? IMHO, if he or other employees don't like the company's policy on weapons, they are free to work elsewhere or start their own business.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Time to allow open carry.
Not even Dodge City allowed open carry. You carry in DC and you're going to jail.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six I say.

If I had a gun on me and some ****ers tried to rob my store and I knew they had guns, I would have no problem killing them. To hell with company "policy," my life and limb are more important to me than some fat cat's insurance deductible.
Unemployment line for you.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Unemployment line for you.
prolly

or a movie deal, judging from this line

"In Benton Township, Michigan, two armed robbers wearing masks burst into a near-deserted Walgreens at 4:30 a.m. To pharmacist Jeremy Hoven, it was a prescription for trouble. So he filled it with hot lead."

Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
What a sad nation we dwell within if we are unable to arm and defend ourselves from ghetto trash who enter our workplaces with guns blazing. While I'm often accused of being militantly liberal myself I must say the liberalism within this thread with so many condemning self-defense and promoting sanctions against anyone who would dare to fight back is alarming. Perhaps if more incidents like this were to occur some of this ghetto trash would think twice before committing such an act in the first place?

I, too, am sorry that the pharmacist didn't have better aim. I'm sorry, but if I'm armed and someone comes at me with a gun they're getting shot.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM

Completely agree. Now, I do support Walgreens' ability to set policy like this, but I completely disagree with the policy itself. They're really just trying to get employees to "take one for the team" so that their insurer doesn't get mad.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Completely agree. Now, I do support Walgreens' ability to set policy like this, but I completely disagree with the policy itself. They're really just trying to get employees to "take one for the team" so that their insurer doesn't get mad.
Actually it a purely business decision based upon getting the fewest of their employees and customers injured. As Johnny Cash sang in "The Devil's Right Hand",

"It can get you into trouble but it can't get you out"

Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Actually it a purely business decision based upon getting the fewest of their employees and customers injured.
Hmmm...call me cynical, but I don't think that's their motive. If it were, they would be taking steps such as installing protective glass, hiring security guards, providing things like mace and pepper spray to their employees, providing training on handling threatening situations, etc. This really does smack of a policy designed to lower their risk exposure and manage their liability.

That said, I don't think the answer is allowing employees to bring their own private firearms into the workplace. That strikes me as lunacy. I don't blame this guy for pulling his gun out since he had it with him (although he's lucky he wasn't shot), but the possibility for abuse or unintentional harm is far too great. What happens when the pharmacist pulls out his gun to pipe down two arguing customers, or waves it around at a 12 year old kid who shoplifted a pack of gum? No, having employees packing heat isn't the answer. It should be the employer's responsibility to provide a safe work environment for their employees; it appears as if Walgreens failed in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC