Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM

76 posts, read 147,547 times

Advertisements

My husband works very close to the new Capitol Quarter EYA re-development that was once the Carrollsburg-Capper public housing. He would like to enter us in the lottery for the workforce housing. We are new to the area, and expecting a child in January. It is likely that we would choose to send our child to a private, parochial school when he/she is of school-age. What do you think about the area for a young family, given that there are 700 public housing units and 50 section 8 ownership units planned? I have been told that in DC and NoVa, crime tends to stay in the public housing areas and near by residents are unaffected. Does anyone have experience living close to a public housing development, or this particular development in the SE? Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM

227 posts, read 399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeAloha View Post
My husband works very close to the new Capitol Quarter EYA re-development that was once the Carrollsburg-Capper public housing. He would like to enter us in the lottery for the workforce housing. We are new to the area, and expecting a child in January. It is likely that we would choose to send our child to a private, parochial school when he/she is of school-age. What do you think about the area for a young family, given that there are 700 public housing units and 50 section 8 ownership units planned? I have been told that in DC and NoVa, crime tends to stay in the public housing areas and near by residents are unaffected. Does anyone have experience living close to a public housing development, or this particular development in the SE? Thanks for your feedback!
Question is - what is there to do with a child? Besides the metro, the new stadium and tons of new condos.

Is there a nice park or a playground where you can go for a walk with your child? Or do you have to get in the car and drive for miles to do that...

We got all those things in NoVA, but are their available in SE DC?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
What is workforce housing?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSDC View Post
Question is - what is there to do with a child? Besides the metro, the new stadium and tons of new condos.

Is there a nice park or a playground where you can go for a walk with your child? Or do you have to get in the car and drive for miles to do that...

We got all those things in NoVA, but are their available in SE DC?
Rus, thanks so much for your thought provoking questions. Open space and parks to play in are important to developing motor skills, and having fun for children. I drove through the area, but will have to look into it more closely. I guess I was thinking of the close proximity to the Nation's Capitol as a huge advantage, but our child will need to be older to really value and appreciate those experiences. Thank you for your reply.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
EYA is having a lottery for affordable "workforce housing" for families within certain income ranges. More details here:

Capitol Quarter: An EYA Townhome Neighborhood in Washington, D.C.

Essentially, a housing program for the middle class.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM

227 posts, read 399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeAloha View Post
Rus, thanks so much for your thought provoking questions. Open space and parks to play in are important to developing motor skills, and having fun for children. I drove through the area, but will have to look into it more closely. I guess I was thinking of the close proximity to the Nation's Capitol as a huge advantage, but our child will need to be older to really value and appreciate those experiences. Thank you for your reply.
Kids love museums, but not until they are like 3+

Until that time and even after 3 yo, a good backyard, a safe playground is a must in my book.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
there is an absolutely delightful waterfront park on the Anacostia, behind the USDOT building. When I walk there I almost always see kids, often strollers etc. Go there and check it out before the weather gets cold.

In addition to that, canal park is under construction, but Im not sure when it will be done.

The limited income housing will be a small portion of the total housing in the area. There is already a lot of new market rate high rise housing in the area, and more high rise and mid rise is coming.

I can't guarantee no crime, but I dont think Ive ever seen anything sketchy. OTOH Im not here really late at night. If you want to take your kid out in a stroller at midnight (and yeah, babies sometimes keep odd hours, and need that walk to deal with crying) there MIGHT be an issue.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSDC View Post
Kids love museums, but not until they are like 3+

Until that time and even after 3 yo, a good backyard, a safe playground is a must in my book.
I was brought up without a backyard, as was my daughter. In both cases apartment building common areas (outdoors and indoors) were an adequate substitute.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
You can't make more than $120,000 median family income to qualify for workforce housing. Almost ever development around the DC area has it. Center City DC has about 15% reserved for workforce housing.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
there is an absolutely delightful waterfront park on the Anacostia, behind the USDOT building. When I walk there I almost always see kids, often strollers etc. Go there and check it out before the weather gets cold.

In addition to that, canal park is under construction, but Im not sure when it will be done.

The limited income housing will be a small portion of the total housing in the area. There is already a lot of new market rate high rise housing in the area, and more high rise and mid rise is coming.

I can't guarantee no crime, but I dont think Ive ever seen anything sketchy. OTOH Im not here really late at night. If you want to take your kid out in a stroller at midnight (and yeah, babies sometimes keep odd hours, and need that walk to deal with crying) there MIGHT be an issue.
BKbornDad,

Thanks for your reply. I just posted a comment on one of your "nabes" reviews, which are enjoyable and I appreciate. Are you talking about the Kenilworth (I think that is the spelling) Aquatic Garden? I have been wanting to check that out, but they just changed their hours and close at 4:30 p.m. I will have to try to visit on the weekend. I grew up in Morningside Heights on the UWS of Manhattan, and Long Island, so it's nice to have some feedback from a fellow Ny'er. I dont leave my house late at night anyways, no matter where I live because I feel that it is unsafe as a woman, but who knows I might get desperate with a crying baby. Sleep deprivation does weird things to people.

One more thing, good point about the proportion of low income housing to the other housing options in the area. Thanks again for your thoughtful feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC