Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM

33 posts, read 82,703 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking for a new apartment in the DMV area, and I'm having limited success using the craigslist option. It seems that the person renting the room has an all the power to select the roommate. Over the past several weeks, I've gone to multiple open houses where people will stream into a place and the current tenant enjoys the luxury of selecting the future roommate. Frankly it kind of sucks to run

Now, I was curious if there are alternatives to this. Namely, outside of craigslist, what other options do people have to find a place in DC? Oftentimes I'll see a nice deal, but the place was found "through friends" or "...I knew the landlord because of..." type of situations. I am curious to hear if there are ways to find a place. Outside of the large management companies like Meridian, Archstone etc., how do I find smaller, local landlords? More generally, how do you go about find an apartment here in DC?

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 PM

227 posts, read 398,994 times
Zillow

Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
if someone's renting a room, no matter where it's listed, that person is going to have ultimate say in who is going to be living in their space.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
If you are new to the area, sometimes the larger complexes are a good idea. While that wasn't an option for me, I could see how the "roommate interview process" could be stressful and irritating. I am unaware of a better listing source than Craigslist but there are smaller classified sites like through Washington City Paper's website and backpage.com.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:31 AM

656 posts, read 648,345 times
The best thing to do is swap. For example, if your coming from Baltimore, find someone in the DC who needs to live in Baltimore for a year. Since rents are much higher in DC than in Baltimore, you will pay the other person the difference between the cost of the two rents. Then you are even. There are websites set up to arrange this.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,759 times
I've been on both sides of the roommate search and neither is all that fun. I though trying to find a roommate who's a good match is equally as stressful. When responding to Craigslist ads, I'd suggest asking if it's ok to visit before the open house....I always got nervous when there were a # of ppl coming to look at the room for rent at the same time and having so many ppl around makes it more difficult to get to know your potential roommates.
Does your alma mater have an alumni group or listserv for other alums in the area? If so, that's a great place to look. My alumni group has a facebook page and some ppl have found rentals there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC