Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 AM

23 posts, read 54,928 times

Advertisements

Has anyone travelled down Rhode Island Avenue NE lately and noticed the excessive amount of storefront churches? It seems that these properties would be better suited for businesses (not liquor stores or chinese carryouts) rather than churches to help revitalize the economy in this area.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Shoulder shrug. Well if other businesses besides Chinese carryout and liquor aren't coming to that part of town then a storefront church is better than nothing.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Churches are taking up store fronts because many have a difficult time getting permits to get their own standalone buildings. Many jurisdiction frown upon churches and make it difficult for them, as a result they have become creative by rent out storefronts, movie theatres, hotels, etc.

Technically a church is considered a business by the way.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
Some churches start in storefronts, save, and then later build a standalone church. Others have taken over whole strip malls. They open church run day cares, schools, and beauty/barber shops. It's easier than finding vacant land to build on. The infrastructure is already there.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 PM

361 posts, read 854,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Churches are taking up store fronts because many have a difficult time getting permits to get their own standalone buildings. Many jurisdiction frown upon churches and make it difficult for them, as a result they have become creative by rent out storefronts, movie theatres, hotels, etc.

Can't churches apply for property tax exemption?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:

This is just flat wrong. Churches in the District are exempt from zoning laws and endure very little oversight from a building permit standpoint. There have always been a large number of storefront churches in the District because it's a cheap alternative for small congregations.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This is just flat wrong. Churches in the District are exempt from zoning laws and endure very little oversight from a building permit standpoint. There have always been a large number of storefront churches in the District because it's a cheap alternative for small congregations.
I wasn't speaking specifically to DC and I was not aware of the building exemption, however I know in many surrounding districts in this region, it is extremely difficult to get a building to be built for a church.

They are often frowned upon because of their tax exempt status.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
I wasn't speaking specifically to DC and I was not aware of the building exemption, however I know in many surrounding districts in this region, it is extremely difficult to get a building to be built for a church.

They are often frowned upon because of their tax exempt status.
This is the Washington DC message board. Perhaps you're lost.

BTW, it would be a violation of their constitutional protection to deny a church a building permit due to their tax exempt status.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This is the Washington DC message board. Perhaps you're lost.

BTW, it would be a violation of their constitutional protection to deny a church a building permit due to their tax exempt status.
Why are you being so snarky? Is your life really that sad?

Anyways they do it to churches all the time. I've been to many churches in this region that have struggled to get permits. What often happens, is some jurisdictions will nit-pick at the smallest of details like the type of door knobs you have or having certain types of door in certain location. There is really not a lot that can be gain by most local governments to have churches so they make it very difficult for them given that they can make money off of other organizations/businesses. I was at a church one time that spent months upon months trying to get approved but the inspector kept finding new things each time they came.

My whole purpose was to give some general perspective as to why some churches choose to go this route. Of course everybody situation is different depending on where you live and what your finances are like. I'm sorry I wasted your time. Perhaps you would benefit from going to one of those store front churches.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:
Why are you being so snarky? Is your life really that sad?

Anyways they do it to churches all the time. I've been to many churches in this region that have struggled to get permits. What often happens, is some jurisdictions will nit-pick at the smallest of details like the type of door knobs you have or having certain types of door in certain location. There is really not a lot that can be gain by most local governments to have churches so they make it very difficult for them given that they can make money off of other organizations/businesses. I was at a church one time that spent months upon months trying to get approved but the inspector kept finding new things each time they came.

My whole purpose was to give some general perspective as to why some churches choose to go this route. Of course everybody situation is different depending on where you live and what your finances are like. I'm sorry I wasted your time. Perhaps you would benefit from going to one of those store front churches.
i actually agree. i have seen this happen. i had two churches want to lease a storefront from me in N.E. dc and it pretty much went as you stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: