Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,547,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
If they think you are just there for a cheap place to live, and taking advantage of that community, you will be mugged and stabbed.
The crews will mug and stab you if they don't feel you're positively contributing to the neighborhood?

Where does this stuff come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM

31,990 posts, read 34,542,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'm not saying that Bloomingdale is a bad neighborhood, only that I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has never livedi n an urban environment before. It borders some sketchy, transitional areas and isn't particularly transit-friendly. Plus, in spite of places like Big Bear and Rustik, it's still lacking in the amenities that one finds in other hoods. It's a nice neighborhood, but I wouldn't consider it "ideal".
It's not an ideal place to live if you can afford to live in one of the more posh sections of town. Of course, there are "better" places to live in DC, but those neighborhoods aren't cheap and they come with their own inconveniences.

I mean, he could live around Logan (I think you live near Logan, if I'm not mistaken), but it's hard to find parking around there. I could not imagine living near Logan or U Street without off street parking, and for someone from the suburbs who's accustomed to driving everywhere, they might want to keep a car. In Bloomingdale, parking is almost always available. If worse comes to worst, you have to park around the corner and walk home. But it's never a situation where you're circling the block like a vulture hoping to beat out the Jetta full of college kids looking for a parking space close to their favorite bar.

Bloomingdale, I think, is a good "starter" neighborhood. Is it as safe as Cleveland Park? No, but it's cheaper and more diverse. Is it as fun as U Street or Adams-Morgan? No, but it's not loud and you don't have to worry about drunk kids peeing all over your stairs and throwing their Jumbo Slice plates down in front of your house.

And honestly, Bloomingdale is not that far from Metro. My girlfriend used to live on 16th Street and she walked to the U Street Metro. While 3 blocks does not sound far, anybody who knows DC knows that the stretch from Crescent to 16th is not that short, and then the walk from 16th to 13th is loooooooong. In comparison, it takes me less than 10 minutes to walk to the Shaw-Howard stop. The walk from 1st and Thomas to the Shaw-Howard Metro is approximately 10 minutes. It's not that bad, really.

For the price, location, architecture, ease of parking and relative tranquility of the neighborhood, I think Bloomingdale is "ideal" for someone who's never lived in the city before.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:03 AM

465 posts, read 926,981 times
Quote:
The crews will mug and stab you if they don't feel you're positively contributing to the neighborhood?

Where does this stuff come from?
Juju is a troll. And even if he isn't, based on his history of posts he clearly has a big bone to pick with gentrification.

Finding affordable housing = taking advantage of a community. HA. How did this guy's genetic lineage last so long, anyways?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM

Re the parking thing - One of the things I hate, hate, hate about living in the city is driving home, getting stuck behind a car with VA tags, and then seeing the white "reverse" lights come on to take the last parking space on the street. It's also bad when the car has MD tags, but seeing VA tags takes my rage to a whole new level. Then when you go out to those apartment complexes in VA, they have those strict parking rules. I think DC should start ticketing people without DC tags after one hour unless they have a visitor's pass.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
If you volunteer and give back to that community, you will be accepted. If they think you are just there for a cheap place to live, and taking advantage of that community, you will be mugged and stabbed.
LOL you can't be serious.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,547,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not an ideal place to live if you can afford to live in one of the more posh sections of town. Of course, there are "better" places to live in DC, but those neighborhoods aren't cheap and they come with their own inconveniences.
Yeah, I dunno. I think Columbia Heights and H Street/Atlas District offer more at a commensurate price and safety point--Bloomingdale might not be Dupont/Logan expensive, but it's not a cheap place to live, and the amenities have some catching up to do. I do prefer the Bloomingdale arechitecture, though. The houses along First, R and S streets are nothing short of stunning.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I dunno. I think Columbia Heights and H Street/Atlas District offer more at a commensurate price and safety point--Bloomingdale might not be Dupont/Logan expensive, but it's not a cheap place to live, and the amenities have some catching up to do. I do prefer the Bloomingdale arechitecture, though. The houses along First, R and S streets are nothing short of stunning.
That's true, but then parking becomes an issue again.

I'm obviously bringing my personal biases into this as I live in Ledroit Park/Bloomingdale. I'm not really a fan of living in the crowded, hip neighborhoods. I don't want people coming into my neighborhood from other places. I value privacy and tranquility. And the way I see it, U Street is only a 10 or 15 minute walk from my house, so if I want "action," it's there to be had. I don't want to be able to walk out of my door and see the city buzzing in front of me. I actually want to hear crickets at night when sitting on my stoop.

I just think that the public nature of an area like Columbia Heights might be too much for someone who's never lived in an urban area.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:46 PM

46 posts, read 94,537 times
Sketchy area with few amenities. I would not recommend it AT ALL!!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,929 times
Quote:
The Big Bear Cafe has a farmer's market there every Sunday. The Rustik Tavern's also right there on T. Then there's the art festival on First Street every year, so Bloomingdale has become a yuppie nirvana. Plus, it's cheaper than other yuppie enclaves like Logan, U Street and Dupont. What's not "ideal" about that?

And yes, that area changes DRAMATICALLY after just one block. R Street is hipsters, organic berries and chai tea. Q Street is heroin, homelessness, and hollow points.

I think I need to go check out Bloomingdale, have only driven by on Florida or N Cap.

How would you compare it to A. Brookland B. Anacostia C. Petworth D. The cheaper areas of Hill East, SE of Eastern Market (like toward Penn and Potomac, Barney Circle, whatever)

Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,929 times
Quote:
Re the parking thing - One of the things I hate, hate, hate about living in the city is driving home, getting stuck behind a car with VA tags, and then seeing the white "reverse" lights come on to take the last parking space on the street. It's also bad when the car has MD tags, but seeing VA tags takes my rage to a whole new level. Then when you go out to those apartment complexes in VA, they have those strict parking rules. I think DC should start ticketing people without DC tags after one hour unless they have a visitor's pass.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC