Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Well, they can BAN me if they don't like my posts. I don't care!
I suspect that they have before, and since you've been trolling hard from the moment you began this account, I suspect they will again.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Diversity is still not the norm. Maybe city-data just attracts more people outside the norm.
Diversity is talked about a lot on C-D because pretty much all of the top U.S. cities and metropolitan areas are pretty diverse. This includes the D.C. area of course.

I remember reading a graph of cities that showed a strong correlation between the size of their metro areas and their diversity.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-21-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Seems the OP is projecting their views onto others. "Well this is how I feel so this must be how everyone else feels too!"

I can only speak for myself and people I've talked to about this. I think it comes down to excitement...places with culture and diversity are exciting. Places lacking them are boring. It's really fun to talk and befriend people with very different experiences than you and experience different foods, music, and things you've never even considered before. The old adage variety is the spice of life rings very true to me and probably a lot of other people too. I am going to guess these reasons are more in line with what goes on in others heads rather than "Well I don't really like this - but I better conform to what society thinks!"

Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I suspect that they have before, and since you've been trolling hard from the moment you began this account, I suspect they will again.
Yeah, this guy ended up on my 'Ignore' list pretty soon after he started posting here.

What I want to know is: why does City-Data attract so many people who seem to be working through their issues with race/class/diversity/whatever? This forum is like a therapist's couch sometimes.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
why does City-Data attract so many people who seem to be working through their issues with race/class/diversity/whatever?
Well it certainly attracts a lot of different usernames working through their issues... actual different people, I'm not so sure.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I don't think comments about trolling are helpful at all. Maybe they should be reported - I really hate attempts at censorship by claiming that someone is a troll, that's a personal attack unless the person is being exceptionally rude or continually distracting to a conversation.

Whether one should link to elsewhere on the forum is a rules issue best decided by mods. I've done it, and am not aware of any rules against it.

Now with that out of the way, I'd like to say that I love diversity when I'm traveling, but I'm not very comfortable living inside it in my immediate neighborhood, depending on the groups involved and whether they have a reputation for criminality. I like diversity in a city or even village, as long as the other ethnic groups are at a bit of a distance.

I think young, well-educated people honestly want to live in ethnically diverse areas, but sometimes they lose that desire when they come up against hard realities. That's why it seems (at least to me) that middle-aged and older people tend to move to communities full of people like them. It's more comfortable, not that the person is being consciously or actually racist.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM

656 posts, read 648,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I don't think comments about trolling are helpful at all. Maybe they should be reported - I really hate attempts at censorship by claiming that someone is a troll, that's a personal attack unless the person is being exceptionally rude or continually distracting to a conversation.

And it's also against the TOS to label someone a troll.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:24 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
What is so inherently good about "the norm"? If we all lived by what has been the norm for most people throughout history, we would all be living in conditions of abject poverty by todays standards.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
I've noticed people on these city data forums now require this in any prospective place they live. It's like they've been trained to say this or or to believe they want this, by someone--the media, or the group conformity of these forums. I have the feeling they don't even believe this, it's just something they say because everyone else says it too.
Love the 'I want the best schools in the nation, money is no object, must be super safe, with all my favorite high-end organic stores AND I want a lot of diversity too!'

Kind of like a special order at McDonalds...'I want the super size fries, the bypass burger with extra mayo, the super large ice cream with a ton of fudge, AND a super sized diet coke because I'm healthy too!'

That being said, I like 'diversity' as well....but I do agree that there is misuse of the word at times.

But, I think that people who actually do live in diverse areas, and know what it means exactly, do value it.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
When I was growing up in Toronto in the 50's our idea of exotic ethnic food was a pizza,LOL.
Diverse? Not.

Our idea of being a little less discriminatory was to let the Roman Catholics have a few good jobs. I kid you not. What a different and better place TO is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC