Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:31 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,647,987 times

Advertisements

First of all I'm speaking from a 20 something black man's perspective. So maybe my impression might be different from somebody of another ethnicity. Hopefully this won't be too much of a problem since I know how taboo that is to mention you're color on this forum sometimes. Anyway back on topic I visited D.C. for the first time 2 weeks ago and I definitely must say I love Chocolate City. The whole experience exceeded my expectations. First of all whenever I go out of town I try not to hit up just the tourist spots. Being that D.C. is full of them you still find non tourist spots within walking distance from the tourist spots. So while I enjoyed going to some of the museums at the Smithsonian I could walk or ride the subway to Georgetown or Dupont Circle without missing a beat. The commute was refreshing and smooth and not that hectic as I've seen people on here type about. When you're driving in Houston during rush hour with a 100 different personalities on the road it's alot more stressful then bumping into someone in a subway station. And getting to you're destination is so much faster then what i'm use to in Houston. The architecture in D.C. was on point even in Southeast a part of D.C. alot of tourist and even gentrifies like to avoid, I loved the architecture of the old homes and scenery which some parts shockingly reminded me of my birthplace of Marshall,East Texas. I've seen people complain about the women of D.C. or how hard it is to get a sista. I was only there for 3 days so I can't really understand where you all are coming from. Yet I hear the same argument in cities all across America when it comes to black on black relationships, sadly. However I can say D.C. has some of the most beautiful women in the states. I think Houston has a ton of beautiful sista's however it came off to me that D.C. had more women that had a natural look and vibe about them. Not to mention a brotha was getting some attention from some of the ladies that I encounter oh and the D.C. accent on the ladies was a plus. I don't know if it's because I have dreds and being that alot of men in D.C. have dreds maybe that's why I got the eye a couple of times. I just know the women alone will make me come back to D.C. The neighborhoods in D.C. are interesting. Alot of people down south tend to think people on the eastcoast are *******s and rude and obnoxious however while in D.C. I ran into alot of cool friendly and helpful people. More of a welcoming attitude then I experienced when I first moved to Houston. All and all I enjoyed my visit so much I wouldn't mind moving to D.C. or atleast the area surrounding D.C. in a year or two once my money is more correct. I love Houston but D.C. seems more on my speed and mentality to a greater extent then the majority of the black Houston scene. Not to mention I love the fact it's an eastcoast city with a southern feel to it. It might be southern to people north of D.C. but being south of D.C. we consider it more closer to eastcoast then other southern cities. And it's location is perfect being hours away from Baltimore, Philly,NYC,New Jersey, Boston. Just wanted to share my D.C. experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 AM

336 posts, read 769,984 times
Glad you like the city

Old 09-03-2011, 06:22 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,012,411 times
Glad you like dc. I hope that your experience doesn't paint a broad brush. THere are parts that make you feel like you're in the south but imo dc has a very northern cultural feel to it these days. It can be a really nice city though it just depends on where you live and what make out of it.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,456,636 times
Glad you liked DC.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:52 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,647,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Glad you like dc. I hope that your experience doesn't paint a broad brush. THere are parts that make you feel like you're in the south but imo dc has a very northern cultural feel to it these days. It can be a really nice city though it just depends on where you live and what make out of it.
Oh yeah DC is a very eastcoast city I was just saying parts and I mean small parts of southeast D.C. reminded me of the south. But I'll be back in D.C. spring of next year. If I keep having good experiences when I visit D.C. I'm telling you I'll be moving up there. I look around this forum and see alot of ppl underestimate or speak negative about there own hometown. I really don't understand guess I have to live there to understand but I do know I loved and miss D.C. already.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 AM

708 posts, read 1,207,287 times
Hey, visitors always like something new. Glad you like the city, but I can make a post about houston just like yours. :-)

Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,097,469 times
Yes, and the crime rate is down to just a fraction of what it was 20 years or so ago. Just make sure before you commit to moving, that you understand DC's very high cost of living. Most people get sticker shock. Look on-line at ad's for apartments to get an idea of the rental rates you'll be facing. As for the traffic issue, the DC area overall has the nation's second-worst traffic, according to annual Amer Auto Assoc rankings for the past several years. It's especially bad on any of the Potomac River bridges to and from VA. If you plan to live in the city, that will be less of a problem. The city streets recently got a lot more bicycle lanes, and many bicycle rental stations.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,721,278 times
Welcome, I am a 20 something year old brother from the South as well. Been here 3 years now and I love it.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,012,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes, and the crime rate is down to just a fraction of what it was 20 years or so ago. Just make sure before you commit to moving, that you understand DC's very high cost of living. Most people get sticker shock. Look on-line at ad's for apartments to get an idea of the rental rates you'll be facing. As for the traffic issue, the DC area overall has the nation's second-worst traffic, according to annual Amer Auto Assoc rankings for the past several years. It's especially bad on any of the Potomac River bridges to and from VA. If you plan to live in the city, that will be less of a problem. The city streets recently got a lot more bicycle lanes, and many bicycle rental stations.
The Wilson Bridge really isn't that bad anymore. Occasionally things get a little tough, but it's nothing like it used to be and they are also about to add more lanes on the VA side.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,482,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
First of all I'm speaking from a 20 something black man's perspective. So maybe my impression might be different from somebody of another ethnicity. Hopefully this won't be too much of a problem since I know how taboo that is to mention you're color on this forum sometimes. Anyway back on topic I visited D.C. for the first time 2 weeks ago and I definitely must say I love Chocolate City. The whole experience exceeded my expectations. First of all whenever I go out of town I try not to hit up just the tourist spots. Being that D.C. is full of them you still find non tourist spots within walking distance from the tourist spots. So while I enjoyed going to some of the museums at the Smithsonian I could walk or ride the subway to Georgetown or Dupont Circle without missing a beat. The commute was refreshing and smooth and not that hectic as I've seen people on here type about. When you're driving in Houston during rush hour with a 100 different personalities on the road it's alot more stressful then bumping into someone in a subway station. And getting to you're destination is so much faster then what i'm use to in Houston. The architecture in D.C. was on point even in Southeast a part of D.C. alot of tourist and even gentrifies like to avoid, I loved the architecture of the old homes and scenery which some parts shockingly reminded me of my birthplace of Marshall,East Texas. I've seen people complain about the women of D.C. or how hard it is to get a sista. I was only there for 3 days so I can't really understand where you all are coming from. Yet I hear the same argument in cities all across America when it comes to black on black relationships, sadly. However I can say D.C. has some of the most beautiful women in the states. I think Houston has a ton of beautiful sista's however it came off to me that D.C. had more women that had a natural look and vibe about them. Not to mention a brotha was getting some attention from some of the ladies that I encounter oh and the D.C. accent on the ladies was a plus. I don't know if it's because I have dreds and being that alot of men in D.C. have dreds maybe that's why I got the eye a couple of times. I just know the women alone will make me come back to D.C. The neighborhoods in D.C. are interesting. Alot of people down south tend to think people on the eastcoast are *******s and rude and obnoxious however while in D.C. I ran into alot of cool friendly and helpful people. More of a welcoming attitude then I experienced when I first moved to Houston. All and all I enjoyed my visit so much I wouldn't mind moving to D.C. or atleast the area surrounding D.C. in a year or two once my money is more correct. I love Houston but D.C. seems more on my speed and mentality to a greater extent then the majority of the black Houston scene. Not to mention I love the fact it's an eastcoast city with a southern feel to it. It might be southern to people north of D.C. but being south of D.C. we consider it more closer to eastcoast then other southern cities. And it's location is perfect being hours away from Baltimore, Philly,NYC,New Jersey, Boston. Just wanted to share my D.C. experience.
Thank you! Someone who finally speaks the truth about the women (black) in DC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC