Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Are the four to six Walmart stores that were supposed to be built in DC still in development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Are the four to six Walmart stores that were supposed to be built in DC still in development?
Yes, those are ongoing. I think each of the four store locations arei n the development stage.

Walmart shows conceptual renderings for Ward 7 store - Greater Greater Washington

Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
No idea, last I checked Mayor Gray wanted Wal-Mart to open one on Good Hope Road which is an area in need of development. He was basically giving them an ultimatum, build one there or risk not having 1 Wal Mart in the city.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
No idea, last I checked Mayor Gray wanted Wal-Mart to open one on Good Hope Road which is an area in need of development. He was basically giving them an ultimatum, build one there or risk not having 1 Wal Mart in the city.
Yes, and that "ultimatum" was complete BS and legally unenforceable. Basically, he was strongly implying that there might be "problems" with Wal-Mart's building permits if they didn't agree to put a store where he wanted one. Problem is, Wal-Mart is legally entitled to obtain those building permits, and Gray was in no position to prevent it (barring some problems on Wal-Mart's end, of course). And of course, Wal-Mart knows this, and Gray didn't really have a leg to stand on.

In other words, more of the same garbage that I've come to expect from this administration.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
The Georgia Avenue site in Brightwood is moving forward. They began demo there. I think this is the furthest along (and the smallest). Beyond that the other 3 (maybe 4) are still in a holding pattern.

Wal-Mart coughed up $3 million for a DC jobs training pilot program. I think that was a compromise for the Mayor's Skyland Mall ultimatum so that they can move forward on the other 4 stores while 'considering' Skyland as a 5th.

Outside of DC they were planning on one in the Dulles Expo Center and one in Tyson's corner. More recently they were looking at National Harbor in PG and Shirlington.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 PM

Residents vow to stop Wal-Mart on Georgia Ave. | Liz Farmer | DC | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/08/residents-vow-stop-wal-mart-georgia-ave - broken link)

So they plan on trying to open all 4 next year? I've never been in a Wal-Mart before, and I think the closest one to me is 50 miles from here. I for one don't see a problem with it? It means more jobs for the area, is it unionized?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Residents vow to stop Wal-Mart on Georgia Ave. | Liz Farmer | DC | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/08/residents-vow-stop-wal-mart-georgia-ave - broken link)

So they plan on trying to open all 4 next year? I've never been in a Wal-Mart before, and I think the closest one to me is 50 miles from here. I for one don't see a problem with it? It means more jobs for the area, is it unionized?
They aren't unionized, which caused some concern around the issue of whether or not Wal-Mart would pay its DC employees a "living wage". After all, we don't really need any more McJobs in this city.

But as far as Wal-Mart itself, I don't have a problem with them coming in either. Many of the neighborhoods they're looking to move into are retail-starved, and their price points make them accessible to most everyone.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
They aren't unionized, which caused some concern around the issue of whether or not Wal-Mart would pay its DC employees a "living wage". After all, we don't really need any more McJobs in this city.

But as far as Wal-Mart itself, I don't have a problem with them coming in either. Many of the neighborhoods they're looking to move into are retail-starved, and their price points make them accessible to most everyone.
Walmart doesn't pay anyone at the bottom a living wage, at least here in America anyway. Are there jobs in these neighborhoods Walmart is trying to locate in, or do people have to go into other areas to find work? It will be interesting to see just how many people from these neighborhoods actually end up working there.

Walmart usually tries to locate in suburban areas, but it would seem as though they have this new strategy of creating these "urban" destinations in the inner city and try to blend in like some chameleon.

One thing I have noticed is that if the suburbs themselves are ghetto, the Walmart ends up being the same; poorly mismanaged, horrific customer service. I noticed that a lot in Ohio and even in some of the Walmarts here in some of the suburban areas within the independent cities in Virginia. It is like putting lipstick on a pig; it will be interesting to see just how well Walmart, who usually flees for that nice part of town, will do in a working class, inner city neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Well, DC seems to be turning into an area where they want to put retail in urban areas. Look at the mall in Columbia Heights, there's going to be a friggin Panera there in like 3 weeks. 5 years ago, who would have called that?

So I think these Wal-Marts are probably going to be a bit more "posh" i.e. the look of it will be upscale. Just my two cents. It's DC, not Iowa.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Well, DC seems to be turning into an area where they want to put retail in urban areas. Look at the mall in Columbia Heights, there's going to be a friggin Panera there in like 3 weeks. 5 years ago, who would have called that?

So I think these Wal-Marts are probably going to be a bit more "posh" i.e. the look of it will be upscale. Just my two cents. It's DC, not Iowa.
True. I actually like Panera though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC