Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,680 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting DC for the first time over Thanksgiving - any suggestions?

What is the easiest/cheapest way to get around? For about 3.5 days of riding the metro approximately 10 miles out of the city, would it be cheaper to just buy a 7 day pass?

Any advice/tips are appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,852 times
In my opinion, you should just buy a Smartrip card, put $25 on it and then add more if needed. You can use a Smartrip card on the metro and the bus. The paper farecard passes can only be used on the metro and if the strip gets deactivated (which happens to me a lot), there are only a few stations that can fix them. I think most tourists stick to the metro, but the Circulator buses run along popular routes and it's sometimes more convenient than waiting for a metro on the weekends or holidays, when the trains don't come as often. DC Circulator

Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
My first stop would be the Trip Advisor DC site--there are lots of good suggestions from people there.

But secondly, many of us would be happy to provide some suggestions if you give us some ideas of what you're looking to do. Museums? Neighborhood strolls? Monuments and Memorials? Art galleries?

Also, are you visiting on your own, or are you travelling with children?

Finally, anything that you feel you *must* see?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
3.5 days should be enough time to see a lot but not all.

You got the zoo, Arlington Cemetery, Holocaust museum, museums on the mall, Capital building, Monument. The memorials like WW II, Vietnam and Korean.

No matter what you do just try and find a place and relax and soak in all that's around you. I think sometimes people are so busy during there vacations that they forget to just look around and see everything that's around them.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 4,680 times
Thanks for the tips!

No kids, just my husband and I - we are both in our 20's.

We are looking to hit the highlights, alreday have the US Capitol tour reservation made. We also want to see the Monuments and as many Museums as possible - most definatly the US Holocaust Museum and the Smithsonian Air and Space... might try to see the Supreme Court if we have time...

we can't tour the White House I just discovered, have to have 10 people :-(

Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 AM

OK, so based on that, here are a few reccs/suggestions:

-The Holocaust Museum is absolutely worth the visit, however you want to allocate at least three hours for the experience. The permanent exhibit takes a couple of hours at least, and you'd want to leave at least an hour for the rotating exhibits. Also, a visit to the Holocaust Museum can be a "heavy" experience, so you may not want to transition from that to another museum. If the weather is agreeable, a stroll down to the Tidal Basin to check out the Jefferson, Roosevelt and MLK memorials is a good cap to that day.

-Speaking of monuments and memorials, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the Mall and Memorials are very expansive--it's nearly three miles from the steps of the U.S. Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial, so plan accordingly. Walking is the best way to get around the Mall and Memorials, so wear comfortable shoes and enjoy.

Also, many of the memorials are enjoyable at any time of day, but visiting them at night can be truly special. For my money, nothing beats standing on the steps of the Lincoln or Jefferson at night, looking out over the city.

-It's easy to overdo it at the Smithsonian. I typically recommend not trying to do more than two museums in a day, unless there is a specific exhibit you're looking for. For instance, you could easily occupy an entire day at the Air and Space or American History museums. Another thing to keep in mind re: visiting the Smithsonian museums/Nat'l Gallery of Art: outside of hot dog vendors and some food trucks, all of the eating options along the Mall are going to be in the cafes of the museums themselves. The cafe at the American Indian Museum, and at the National Gallery, are two particular standouts (better than many downtown restaurants, IMO).

-Spend some time off of the Mall. The days when a visit to DC meant snagging a hotel in Virginia and then spending a few days trompsing around the Mall are long gone. Dedicate some time to visitng the neighborhoods that are in or ring central DC--Dupont, Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, Logan Circle/U Street, Penn Quarter/Chinatown and Capitol Hill are all enjoyable places to stroll, dine, relax, etc. There are some great "off the path" museums/galleries in these neighborhoods as well. Check out the Phillips Collection or Textile Museum in Dupont, or Dumbarton in Georgetown.

Also, Old Town Alexandria, just across the DC border and on the Yellow Line, is a terrific destination as well. Check out the Torpedo Factory (it used to be an actual torpedo factory, but now is an arts center), Gatsby's Tavern, and shopping/dining along King Street and the waterfront.

-if you're the "going out" type, there are nightlife options a-plenty: Penn Quarter, U Street, H Street, Adams-Morgan, downtown (particularly the McPherson Square area) all have a lot of options. This city does a LOT of drinking...

-Finally, use Metro, cabs, and the Metrobus/Circulator lines to get around. Driving and parking in central DC can be a real hassle as well as expensive. I second the recommendation above to purchase SmartTrip cards--they can be used on pretty much any regional transit network, are easy to use and recharge.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hksbsb View Post
We are looking to hit the highlights, alreday have the US Capitol tour reservation made. We also want to see the Monuments and as many Museums as possible - most definatly the US Holocaust Museum and the Smithsonian Air and Space... might try to see the Supreme Court if we have time...
The Museum of Natural History and the National Gallery of Art are musts as well. Visit the F.D.R. Memorial. It's a special place that many overlook.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 AM

100 posts, read 162,527 times
The nice thing about doing this without kid is you can really hit a lot of musuems ... that stuff gets tiring quickly for children.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:26 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
Remember that you'll want to get your tickets for the Monument and Holocaust museums ahead of time. I don't think it's easy to get them at the door. It's only about 1 dollar each to have them mailed to you or print them out.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Remember that you'll want to get your tickets for the Monument and Holocaust museums ahead of time. I don't think it's easy to get them at the door. It's only about 1 dollar each to have them mailed to you or print them out.
the Washington Monument is currently closed, and they haven't announced a reopening date yet (due to the earthquake damage).

Head up tot he bell tower of the old post office for a comparable, and less-crowded, view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC