U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 AM

9,396 posts, read 14,710,983 times

Advertisements

change the world? i'm not so sure that's what a lot of the K Street firms are trying to do, for instance
Rate this post positively

Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 AM

22,099 posts, read 23,303,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
change the world? i'm not so sure that's what a lot of the K Street firms are trying to do, for instance
Well, the U.S. government is arguably the most powerful political institution in the world. So, if you were seeking to "change the world" through political means, then D.C. would likely be the place to do that.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM

656 posts, read 594,541 times
Most of them are not changing the world--they are cogs in a system.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:38 AM

9,396 posts, read 14,710,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, the U.S. government is arguably the most powerful political institution in the world. So, if you were seeking to "change the world" through political means, then D.C. would likely be the place to do that.
prolly, but I'm fairly sure a lot of type-As around here are looking to make a few shekels, not change the world... and that's fine... but I think it's a bit arrogant to act like a lot of people in DC are fighting for a very vague 'greater good'

Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 AM

708 posts, read 1,132,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Umm... you totally missed the point. We were discussing people driven to work hard and change the world. Steve Jobs is one of those people. Trying to link it into "government red tape" misses the point entirely.

And, to correct your previous post, all those cities you list produce power in different ways. DC's specific output is policy.

This is just such a tired topic. We all know there are douchebags here just like in Hollywood and Wall Street and anywhere that people go to get power in the world. I do quite well to avoid them and so can you.
Producing power in different ways is exactly my point, you are correcting nothing. Those cities have a focused goal that many organizations drive towards. This is why you have a laundry list of start ups and CEOs that you don't find here. You say the US is loosing it's position in the world and yet Apple and Microsoft/ Silicon Valley and Redmond etc.. are doing just fine, it's the East Coast/DC that could use some contribution to our GDP. That's my point.

I would love to have DC at the top of the innovative pack but we just don't specialize in anything here other than policy/power.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,779,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Producing power in different ways is exactly my point, you are correcting nothing. Those cities have a focused goal that many organizations drive towards. This is why you have a laundry list of start ups and CEOs that you don't find here. You say the US is loosing it's position in the world and yet Apple and Microsoft/ Silicon Valley and Redmond etc.. are doing just fine, it's the East Coast/DC that could use some contribution to our GDP. That's my point.

I would love to have DC at the top of the innovative pack but we just don't specialize in anything here other than policy/power.
You clearly don't understand why DC exists. It's built to be a government town that creates policies. Consider yourself corrected.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 AM

22,099 posts, read 23,303,645 times
If I preferred the San Francisco Bay Area so much, then I would have moved there. :-)

(But I'll pass on that.)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-16-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:45 PM

5,114 posts, read 9,301,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You clearly don't understand why DC exists. It's built to be a government town that creates policies. Consider yourself corrected.
Policies can either change the world or they can try to maintain the status quo. One way or the other, a lot of what people do here is to try and build, maintain, influence or interpret an infrastructure of government and laws that are designed to affect how things get done across the country and around the world.

Sometimes that is noble, and other times it is pedestrian or self-interested. Complaints about what happens in DC can reflect raw resentment (i.e., that others get paid more than I do for doing things that they care passionately about, but I don't), disappointment (i.e., that others get paid more than I do to do things that I could do better) or principled opposition (i.e., that others get paid to do things I believe are counter-productive and shouldn't be done at all).

At the end of the day, however, I doubt that most of those with a full bag of complaints about DC are complete libertarians who would prefer to live in a country without laws or respect for the rule of law. If DC didn't exist, what happens here would just take place in another city like New York or Philadelphia. My own occasional complaints - such as they are - about DC aren't based on what naturally takes place here, but only on the reality that this focus can tend to crowd out other activities that often make other cities exciting.

Last edited by JD984; 10-16-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:54 PM

6,891 posts, read 7,619,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Policies can either change the world or they can try to maintain the status quo. One way or the other, a lot of what people do here is to try and build, maintain, influence or interpret an infrastructure of government and laws that are designed to affect how things get done across the country and around the world.

Sometimes that is noble, and other times it is pedestrian or self-interested. Complaints about what happens in DC can reflect raw resentment (i.e., that others get paid more than I do for doing things that they care passionately about, but I don't), disappointment (i.e., that others get paid more than I do to do things that I could do better) or principled opposition (i.e., that others get paid to do things I believe are counter-productive and shouldn't be done at all).

At the end of the day, however, I doubt that most of those with a full bag of complaints about DC would want to live in a country without laws or any respect for the rule of law. My own occasional complaints - such as they are - about DC aren't based on what naturally takes place here, but only on the reality that this focus can tend to crowd out other activities that often make other cities exciting.
Having lived in the area my whole life the above bolded quote is correct. Not long ago this town was not as uptight. Now it strikes me as a very generic uptight city with little charm if any. Only when you are around the locals do you really feel the true Washington from both black and white folks. All of these imported wanks who's mommy told them how special they are has ruined this town. But it was going to happen anyway, just the nature of the beast.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM

999 posts, read 1,862,453 times
I am incredibly disgusted with how Washington, DC has insulated itself from the rest of the nation's economy. So many other cities are suffering from dramatic real estate price declines, higher unemployment, loss of the private investment and higher crime.

DC has become affluent off the tax dollars from American citizens. Tax dollars flowing to the military-industrial complex have added thousands of contractor jobs in the region; but at the cost of supporting more health care access, public education spending and modernizing our nation's infrastructure.

Big corporations have spent an insane amount of lobbying to smash regulations and taxes BUT secure more federal-tax payer subsidies. DC law firms offices have ballooned in staff numbers during the past decade. And we know what kind of personalities reside in the top-flight law office suites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: