U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 PM

656 posts, read 594,593 times

Advertisements

I need to change what I said. Lobbyists are changing the world (they're making it worse).
Rate this post positively

Old 10-16-2011, 01:56 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,244,751 times
If you can't find the good people to hang out with separate from the arrogant jerks, then the problem is you, not the city.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:07 PM

465 posts, read 875,467 times
Quote:
Tax dollars flowing to the military-industrial complex have added thousands of contractor jobs in the region; but at the cost of supporting more health care access, public education spending and modernizing our nation's infrastructure.
You're a delusional progressive if you think we don't spend enough on education. But you can thank your precious public unions for not being able to fire crappy teachers.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM

159 posts, read 316,141 times
I agree, OP.

I think this is party of the reason why I've struggled to find work that I'm content with. There is so much BS to put up with when dealing with government contracts, BUT the arrogant, Type A personalities, the "overachievers" who are power-hungry and fake make it hard to feel any satisfaction with working inside the beltway.

I'm making a promise to myself to be out in 12-14 months.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,780,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Having lived in the area my whole life the above bolded quote is correct. Not long ago this town was not as uptight. Now it strikes me as a very generic uptight city with little charm if any. Only when you are around the locals do you really feel the true Washington from both black and white folks. All of these imported wanks who's mommy told them how special they are has ruined this town. But it was going to happen anyway, just the nature of the beast.
Perhaps if you did live elsewhere for a while you would have some perspective to realize how absurd this pervasive stereotype is. I'm not sure if the transplant stereotype of locals or the locals stereotype of transplants is more absurd at this point. Anyway, this town's been importing wanks since the beginning. It's a fricking government city.

Quote:
I am incredibly disgusted with how Washington, DC has insulated itself from the rest of the nation's economy. So many other cities are suffering from dramatic real estate price declines, higher unemployment, loss of the private investment and higher crime.

DC has become affluent off the tax dollars from American citizens. Tax dollars flowing to the military-industrial complex have added thousands of contractor jobs in the region; but at the cost of supporting more health care access, public education spending and modernizing our nation's infrastructure.

Big corporations have spent an insane amount of lobbying to smash regulations and taxes BUT secure more federal-tax payer subsidies. DC law firms offices have ballooned in staff numbers during the past decade. And we know what kind of personalities reside in the top-flight law office suites.
Was wondering how long it'd take you to copy-and-paste your post into this thread.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:59 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,712,102 times
I've met some pretty cool transplants but I kinda have to echo jmking's overall sentiments. Perhaps it's just that up to a certain age I almost only interacted with people from around here (aka my friends from school). I'm fairly certain everyone who stays in their hometown ends up feeling the same way about outsiders.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 PM

6,891 posts, read 7,620,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Perhaps if you did live elsewhere for a while you would have some perspective to realize how absurd this pervasive stereotype is. I'm not sure if the transplant stereotype of locals or the locals stereotype of transplants is more absurd at this point. Anyway, this town's been importing wanks since the beginning. It's a fricking government city.

Was wondering how long it'd take you to copy-and-paste your post into this thread.
Hey barfly, I've lived in many places, including DC, MD and VA. I do have a perspective you don't. When I was born 54 years ago in DC most folks here where local, now most folks are not local. Many make their fortunes here, make stupid comments like you and move back to that chit hole they crawled out of.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,244,751 times
For the people complaining about this, do you have any solution other than leaving DC? If not, then I do not understand the point of endlessly rehashing this complaint.
it is not like you are revealing any secret about DC not known to outsiders. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense will realize that if DC is home to the federal government, then many people who work in the area will be paper-pushing bean counters.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,780,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Hey barfly, I've lived in many places, including DC, MD and VA. I do have a perspective you don't. When I was born 54 years ago in DC most folks here where local, now most folks are not local. Many make their fortunes here, make stupid comments like you and move back to that chit hole they crawled out of.
The name's bluefly, not barfly. Reading comprehension. You can't have it both ways so you're either lying about living here your whole life as you first claimed or about living all over the place (listing states you can walk to from DC doesn't really qualify as living all over the place, though). Either way, anybody who thinks all transplants have the same overprotective relationship with their rich parents reveals a significant lack of understanding of people who are different. Seeing both sides of it, it's obvious that neither the local stereotype nor the transplant one is accurate.

In the end, it's better to know the individual.

Last edited by Bluefly; 10-16-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 PM

656 posts, read 594,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The name's bluefly, not barfly. Reading comprehension. You can't have it both ways so you're either lying about living here your whole life as you first claimed or about living all over the place (listing states you can walk to from DC doesn't really qualify as living all over the place, though). Either way, anybody who thinks all transplants have the same overprotective relationship with their rich parents reveals a significant lack of understanding of people who are different. Seeing both sides of it, it's obvious that neither the local stereotype nor the transplant one is accurate.

In the end, it's better to know the individual.
I don't think he's necessarily lying--he's saying he was born here and moved away and then moved back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: