U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,247,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
In my twenty years in Washington DC I have run into my share of uptight XXXX's Type A types. I look back at the many people I have met in the various Government Contractors I have met through the years and chills come down my spine. In general, what a nasty group of people!

I travel a a lot in my job and spend maybe half the time on the road and get an interesting viewpoint and perspective of the differences between workplaces (and employees) in Washington DC and everywhere else. With exceptions of course, the people in the Washington DC area offices are filled with nasty people who have huge egos and want to turn the world on fire with their advanced intellect, drive and ambition.

The people who work in our my employer's Washington DC offices are the grown up version of the kid who studied 12 hours a night who had to get straight A's in school and drove everyone nuts with too many questions in class. Now he or she lives to work and show everyone how smart they are. While the offices in the DC area are filled with people who were not born here they all came here for one main purpose- TO WORK and WORD long and hard hours.

The staff at our offices in Little Rock, Raleigh and Knoxville TN are generally laid back and happy to put in a 8 hour day and then get back to their first priority- their family and friends. And the people in our site locations actually like each other and have far less employee relations conflicts.
The funny thing is when these types try to tell me how important the work they do is. Yeh your paper pushing job at the EPA is so important
Rate this post positively

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,774,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
I don't think he's necessarily lying--he's saying he was born here and moved away and then moved back.
"Having lived in the area my whole life"

Either you've lived in the area your whole life or you're lying. Not much gray area on this one. Sorry.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:22 PM

708 posts, read 1,131,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The funny thing is when these types try to tell me how important the work they do is. Yeh your paper pushing job at the EPA is so important
LOL exactly. There are so many jobs in civ and defense that should be cut, but that is another thread.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 AM

22,086 posts, read 23,282,395 times
Like it or not, Washington DC is a powerful city and will remain so for a long time to come. You all realize this is the capital of the U.S., right? That won't change anytime soon.

If anything, DC's importance will grow with time.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 AM

229 posts, read 483,790 times
I've lived in the city and the surrounding area since '82, and I've had a range of jobs ranging from fast food to government. I can tell you from experience that the "A-holes" you're referring to are almost always new arrivals to the city. The ones who've been here a while are usually the more laid back, while the new folks are predominately the ones getting caught up in all the hype and are to green to know that they're just another cog in the system.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,247,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Like it or not, Washington DC is a powerful city and will remain so for a long time to come. You all realize this is the capital of the U.S., right? That won't change anytime soon.

If anything, DC's importance will grow with time.
DC should be the first city we auction off to China to pay off our debts IMO.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,150,841 times
lol. I hear a lot of b*tching in this thread.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM

127 posts, read 255,275 times
On the flip side, I see whole government and corporate offices here in DC filled with people doing the least they can!

I don't consider myself a Type A, but when an office posts hours of 9 to 5 PM, I expect someone there to do their job at 4:45 and not hear "Oh they leave everyday at 4 PM, you just missed them.

I also see a lot of nepotism in some offices where entire families, church groups and neighborhoods are holding on to jobs in government and corporate sector and get really nasty to new employees who are not "one of them". The people in some of these environments are downright incompetent and rely on their "ties" to keep their jobs.

Their doing the least they can. Some by "retiring in place", others by taking very liberal days off, others by coming in late and leaving early, taking long lunches, or taking their time to do a menial task.

I'm NOT a workaholic. I come in on time and I leave on time. I expect people to WORK in that timeframe.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,491,790 times
I am one of those new, young, ambitious kids, hoping to gain some prestige. I just want to prove to myself that I can make it in this city. That I belong here.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 AM

999 posts, read 1,861,300 times
Barfly,

Wow. Questioning the integrity of posters who have less-than-positive opinions about Washington, DC. That's pretty obnoxious, would you not agree? There are people who have lived here much longer than you and they have valid opinions about the city and its culture.

Not everyone is going to share your view that DC is the ideal post-industrial Mecca. At least some of the veteran posters have a more nuanced, healthy view about DC; they enjoy living here but they acknowledge social problems and a few cultural issues. But you sound like a member of the tourism or local Chamber of Commerce board. Maybe you work in the media relations department at the DC government office. If anyone offers a critique about the City--no matter how trivial or benign--you go into counterattack mode on the City-Data Forum board.

The everyone and everything in DC is "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy" schtick gets old, Barfly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Perhaps if you did live elsewhere for a while you would have some perspective to realize how absurd this pervasive stereotype is. I'm not sure if the transplant stereotype of locals or the locals stereotype of transplants is more absurd at this point. Anyway, this town's been importing wanks since the beginning. It's a fricking government city.

Was wondering how long it'd take you to copy-and-paste your post into this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: