U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM

22,121 posts, read 23,327,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
I am one of those new, young, ambitious kids, hoping to gain some prestige. I just want to prove to myself that I can make it in this city. That I belong here.
That's right. I'm a longtime native of the DC area and I strongly disagree with the people calling for DC to be some low-profile, generic place. There are plenty of other cities in America that can be that way if they want.

DC is the seat of all 3 branches of the U.S. government, which has been here for 220 years. It has the nation's highest court. It is the headquarters of the FBI, the CIA, the defense headquarters, World Bank, IMF, Library of Congress, the world's largest patent office, all the foreign embassies, etc. Not to mention that NoVA and suburban Maryland have two of the nation's prominent tech and biotech corridors.

So what is this city is supposed to be like again? Humble?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-17-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,237,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Barfly,

Wow. Questioning the integrity of posters who have less-than-positive opinions about Washington, DC. That's pretty obnoxious, would you not agree? There are people who have lived here much longer than you and they have valid opinions about the city and its culture.
I find incessant whiners who regurgitate the same tired stereotypical complaints over and over again to be obnoxious. Bottom line; if someone can't find a job/bar/girlfriend/activity/life that you like in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, the failure is with them.

No city is perfect, but the people who complain and complain and complain on an online forum instead of focusing on fixing what's wrong with their life, are pathetic.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 AM

720 posts, read 1,450,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I find incessant whiners who regurgitate the same tired stereotypical complaints over and over again to be obnoxious. Bottom line; if someone can't find a job/bar/girlfriend/activity/life that you like in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, the failure is with them.

No city is perfect, but the people who complain and complain and complain on an online forum instead of focusing on fixing what's wrong with their life, are pathetic.
i co-sign this statement

Old 10-17-2011, 01:06 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,254,280 times
Quote:

"But the work I do is important."

Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM

999 posts, read 1,863,555 times
It's not about: job, bar, girlfriend, activity, life. I am doing OK on those fronts. My criticisms focus on the sociology and political culture of DC.

Sure, I have met some azz holes and I have encountered rejection by prospective employers and women in DC. But I have also faced job & date rejection in other cities (i.e. Detroit and Philadelphia) and yet I have much fonder memories about the people in those cities than I do here.

People are allowed to make heartfelt observations about cities, politics, religion, sports teams or whatever. Everyone has a b*tch gripe moment about something and/or someone...including Mr. KStreetQB.

So if you and BlueFly are uncomfortable about reading negative threads in the DC forum then don't read the threads.

Quote:

Old 10-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,494,754 times
Coldbliss,
There is a Capitol Hill Happy hour tomorrow. I was thinking about going by to see if I could meet a few people. You should come. I am sure they won't bite your head off. I have plenty of friends who work on the hill, some are azzholes, some are still cool. Every now and then I remind the azzholes that I remember where they came from. Other than that, I don't fool with them.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,237,019 times
Quote:
People are allowed to make heartfelt observations about cities, politics, religion, sports teams or whatever. Everyone has a b*tch gripe moment about something and/or someone...including Mr. KStreetQB.

So if you and BlueFly are uncomfortable about reading negative threads in the DC forum then don't read the threads.
I didn't dispute people's rights to post their opinions, and it doesn't make me uncomfortable; so lets throw those red herrings in the trash right now. Certainly everyone is entitled to their gripes, but a lot of the frequent complainers on this forum completely depart from reality when they are throwing their blind haymakers at DC, and this is another example.

The OP suggests that people in the DC white collar work environment are mostly nasty. It's such a vast majority that he categorizes anyone else as an exception. I think that's absurd and gives the wrong idea to someone looking for an accurate picture of the DC work environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
With exceptions of course, the people in the Washington DC area offices are filled with nasty people who have huge egos and want to turn the world on fire with their advanced intellect, drive and ambition.
Do you think a business of 10 could even survive if 7 of them were control freak's with giant egos constantly getting in the way of each other? A company of 100 with 60 giant type-A narcissists who each think they have a superior intellect than their colleagues? You really think that is an accurate assessment of the normal DC work environment?

I work with all the people that some people on this forum fantasize are to blame for every ambiguous ailment in their life; lobbyists, lawyers, public servants, government contractors. Certainly, I've run into some real ego-maniacs, backstabbers and self-absorbed pr*cks, but most of them are pretty decent people to work with. Like anywhere else I've worked from a ranch in Wyoming, to a bar in Philly, to a think tank in Scotland, every work place has mix of personalities and DC is no exception.

There is some truth that certain jobs in this city attract highly motivated people, but motivated people are not a majority morally devoid self-promoters.

In my opinion, like most public discourse in America, this subforum is poluted with exagerations, perjoratives and ranting that has very little to do with reality. "Every bar is terrible"/"there are no good looking women"/"everyone is a type A jerk"/ etc etc - come on, this metro area is far too large and diverse to support any of those charges.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,609,968 times
Quote:
I didn't dispute people's rights to post their opinions, and it doesn't make me uncomfortable; so lets throw those red herrings in the trash right now. Certainly everyone is entitled to their gripes, but a lot of the frequent complainers on this forum completely depart from reality when they are throwing their blind haymakers at DC, and this is another example.

The OP suggests that people in the DC white collar work environment are mostly nasty. It's such a vast majority that he categorizes anyone else as an exception. I think that's absurd and gives the wrong idea to someone looking for an accurate picture of the DC work environment.

Do you think a business of 10 could even survive if 7 of them were control freak's with giant egos constantly getting in the way of each other? A company of 100 with 60 giant type-A narcissists who each think they have a superior intellect than their colleagues? You really think that is an accurate assessment of the normal DC work environment?

I work with all the people that some people on this forum fantasize are to blame for every ambiguous ailment in their life; lobbyists, lawyers, public servants, government contractors. Certainly, I've run into some real ego-maniacs, backstabbers and self-absorbed pr*cks, but most of them are pretty decent people to work with. Like anywhere else I've worked from a ranch in Wyoming, to a bar in Philly, to a think tank in Scotland, every work place has mix of personalities and DC is no exception.

There is some truth that certain jobs in this city attract highly motivated people, but motivated people are not a majority morally devoid self-promoters.

In my opinion, like most public discourse in America, this subforum is poluted with exagerations, perjoratives and ranting that has very little to do with reality. "Every bar is terrible"/"there are no good looking women"/"everyone is a type A jerk"/ etc etc - come on, this metro area is far too large and diverse to support any of those charges.
LOL can we please make this a mandatory disclaimer people should read before starting new threads on the DC forum? Except it's pretty much every forum here on City-Data.

FWIW, of all the things to complain about in DC, the "People are meanies!" has got to be the most ridiculous. If people are mean to you then ignore them and move on. Not everyone you work with is a jerk so gravitate towards those people.

I'd expect more complaints about the COL (which are more fair, but more of an "It is what it is" type of complaint).

Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,784,516 times
Quote:
Barfly,

Wow. Questioning the integrity of posters who have less-than-positive opinions about Washington, DC. That's pretty obnoxious, would you not agree? There are people who have lived here much longer than you and they have valid opinions about the city and its culture.

Not everyone is going to share your view that DC is the ideal post-industrial Mecca. At least some of the veteran posters have a more nuanced, healthy view about DC; they enjoy living here but they acknowledge social problems and a few cultural issues. But you sound like a member of the tourism or local Chamber of Commerce board. Maybe you work in the media relations department at the DC government office. If anyone offers a critique about the City--no matter how trivial or benign--you go into counterattack mode on the City-Data Forum board.

The everyone and everything in DC is "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy" schtick gets old, Barfly.
Really, Coldbliss? You're going to go with the "barfly" name too? I thought you were classier than that.

If you actually read what I wrote, you would understand that my comment had absolutely nothing to do with his views about DC. I could care less if people have positive or negative views of DC. I have both (if you actually think I have some idyllic view of DC, you clearly don't have a clue what I think. This place is a mess in many ways). People are entitled to whatever they want to think. I simply call out b.s. on people who get irate over the fact that this government city is filled with people who weren't born here and work as politicians, lawyers, lobbyists, contractors, and non-profit ideologues. Guess what? Gay people live in San Francisco! Banker pricks live in New York! I mean, people gotta accept a place for what it is or move along.

What you perceive as "happy happy joy joy" is me simply acknowledging that I have chosen to live in a government city and accept all the benefits and absurdities that go along with it.

In this case, the poster labeled every person who wasn't born and raised here in a uniform and derogatory stereotype. Pointing out that such an individual is factually wrong is not denying them a right to have a negative opinion. They're simply wrong. I call out transplants all the time who think everybody born and raised here is dumb / lazy / drug addicted / whatever their outrageous stereotype is. Just look at my interactions with the Marine on here.

I guess you got defensive because you've made the same outrageous generalizations in other posts, but I simply uphold the truth, Coldbliss. Join me.

Last edited by Bluefly; 10-17-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM

207 posts, read 360,580 times
Quote:
I am incredibly disgusted with how Washington, DC has insulated itself from the rest of the nation's economy. So many other cities are suffering from dramatic real estate price declines, higher unemployment, loss of the private investment and higher crime.

DC has become affluent off the tax dollars from American citizens. Tax dollars flowing to the military-industrial complex have added thousands of contractor jobs in the region; but at the cost of supporting more health care access, public education spending and modernizing our nation's infrastructure.

Big corporations have spent an insane amount of lobbying to smash regulations and taxes BUT secure more federal-tax payer subsidies. DC law firms offices have ballooned in staff numbers during the past decade. And we know what kind of personalities reside in the top-flight law office suites.
Right on!

Having spent most of my adult life and all of my working life in the D.C. area (but in the private sector in an enterprise that did not depend on government contracts), I know that the region (DC-MD-VA) is indeed insulated from the harsh economic realities that afflict other parts of the country. I retired to a different part of the country - one with some economic hardships - and the contrasts are sobering.

But the D.C. area has the biggest Sugar Daddy of them all (with evidently infinitely deep pockets) - the millions of Americans who pay federal taxes. Other regions can only look with envy at the huge flow of tax dollars that subsidize the D.C. area economy.

If only more of those dollars went to things this country really needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: