U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Yac

6,024 posts, read 7,096,892 times

Advertisements

As the thread develops I ask everyone to remain calm and refrain from getting too personal.
Would be great.
Yac.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 AM

656 posts, read 595,033 times
It's not very nice to change Bluefly's name (even if he/she has stated that he/she goes to bars).
Rate this post positively

Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM

6,896 posts, read 7,626,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
Right on!

Having spent most of my adult life and all of my working life in the D.C. area (but in the private sector in an enterprise that did not depend on government contracts), I know that the region (DC-MD-VA) is indeed insulated from the harsh economic realities that afflict other parts of the country. I retired to a different part of the country - one with some economic hardships - and the contrasts are sobering.

But the D.C. area has the biggest Sugar Daddy of them all (with evidently infinitely deep pockets) - the millions of Americans who pay federal taxes. Other regions can only look with envy at the huge flow of tax dollars that subsidize the D.C. area economy.

If only more of those dollars went to things this country really needs!
All that sugar attracts too many "Flies"

Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,128,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Yawn. People are so horrible because they have drive and ambition to change the world.

All these insecure posters get nauseating after a while and suggest maybe our country's best days are, in fact, behind it. No doubt Steve Jobs will be remembered most for kicking back with a beer after he put his 8 hours in.
Steve Jobs created a global franchise and brand that brings joy into billions of people's lives.

D.C. creates 1040 tax forms and war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Like it or not, Washington DC is a powerful city and will remain so for a long time to come. You all realize this is the capital of the U.S., right? That won't change anytime soon.

If anything, DC's importance will grow with time.
I think you mean "self-importance".

Last edited by Yac; 10-19-2011 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: 2 posts merged

Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,128,500 times
Washington, D.C. Becomes America’s Richest City - HUMAN EVENTS

Quote:
Things are tough all over… except for Washington, D.C. By vacuuming four trillion dollars out of the private economy, President Obama has brought a deficit-fueled boom to the seat of the national bureaucracy he loves. Bloomberg News does the honors as Silicon Valley is dethroned, and America’s new richest city is crowned:
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 10-20-2011 at 02:00 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,155,073 times
I still stand by my original statement.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM

656 posts, read 595,033 times
Is there a way for them to get back in touch with reality, or have things gone too far?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 AM

999 posts, read 1,863,923 times
Human Events is an extreme right-wing publication. Here is my take below.

The DC economy boomed during the 2000s when George W. Bush was president and the Congress was majority Republican. The response to the 9/11 terror attacks and then the military deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan generated billions of dollars in annual revenue for contractors (large and small) in the DC region. There was a significant flow of federal government funding to firms specializing in electronic surveillance, computer/data security, satellite technology, advanced weapon systems like drones, biological and radioactive detection systems, and private security services.

The billions of dollars created new job opportunities for engineers, technicians and scientists. College grads with computer science degrees were relocating from different parts of the country to find work in the DC job market--and they struck gold for the most part. Currently employed engineering professionals were rewarded with huge annual raises and bonuses. The top bosses at local contracting firms made out the best with seven-figure salaries and insane bonuses. Needless to say, the real estate markets in Potomac, MD and McLean, VA were busy thanks to corporate executives at IT contracting firms burning their tax-payer salaries.

All of this wealth sucked up by the contracting executives. All of these jobs for IT professionals. One hundred percent of the money came from the US citizen and business taxpayers. The above-the-median salaries and bonuses were possible by one customer with deep pockets--the US government. This is a travesty.

Also during the 2000s, a smaller boom happened in the political advocacy business. The majority Republican Congress and a business-friendly White House created a once-in-a-generation opportunity for large American corporations to lobby for favorable regulations, government subsidies and numerous tax breaks. Big Law went on a hiring spree like no other in history by snapping up former elected officials, federal bureaucrats and former key Hill staffers. Public Relations firms added more staff and new PR shops cropped up overnight thanks to an unprecedented flow of corporate money into Washington, DC.

The result of the epic 2000s homeland security/war on terror/corporate takeover of our political system Boom in Washington, DC?

Double-digit annual increases in home prices.

Explosion of sub-prime and other exotic mortgages.

Real estate flipping out of control.

Double-digit annual increases in some markets for renters.

Overcrowding of Metro system.

Gridlocked highways and secondary roads in the suburbs.

Massive shift of racial and socioeconomic demographics in District neighborhoods.

Six-figure income professionals prospered in the New Economy of DC while the service-class and middle-class households (making below $75,000) languished with stagnant income and much higher cost of living pressures.

So yeah, this is how DC got rich.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,247,470 times
Coldbliss's account is incoherent. The rise of sub-prime and exotic mortgages had nothing to do with 9/11 and defense contractors. You think Countrywide cared what the Pentagon was doing? Did Lehman Brothers take marching orders from defense contractors when they bought mortgage-backed securities? Nonsense.
Your "grand theory" fails at connecting the dots between very different trends and is worse than an oversimplification. It's misinformation.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,786,171 times
The grand theory also fails on the fact that many of the outfalls listed at the end happened in cities across the country. Sure government spending fueled most of it here (it will forever amaze me that people can be shocked that a region built to exist off tax dollars does) but increased home prices, mortgage failures, house flipping, increased demand for urban living by the middle class, increased traffic, etc.. were all experienced nationally.

Need to look more broadly to understand cause and effect.

I should clarify: I agree that way too much money is spent in this area on defense and corporate lobbying. I just think it's unrealistic to expect this area's economy to be based primarily on anything but federal tax revenue.

Last edited by Bluefly; 10-19-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

View detailed profiles of: