Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:42 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times

Advertisements

In my twenty years in Washington DC I have run into my share of uptight XXXX's Type A types. I look back at the many people I have met in the various Government Contractors I have met through the years and chills come down my spine. In general, what a nasty group of people!

I travel a a lot in my job and spend maybe half the time on the road and get an interesting viewpoint and perspective of the differences between workplaces (and employees) in Washington DC and everywhere else. With exceptions of course, the people in the Washington DC area offices are filled with nasty people who have huge egos and want to turn the world on fire with their advanced intellect, drive and ambition.

The people who work in our my employer's Washington DC offices are the grown up version of the kid who studied 12 hours a night who had to get straight A's in school and drove everyone nuts with too many questions in class. Now he or she lives to work and show everyone how smart they are. While the offices in the DC area are filled with people who were not born here they all came here for one main purpose- TO WORK and WORD long and hard hours.

The staff at our offices in Little Rock, Raleigh and Knoxville TN are generally laid back and happy to put in a 8 hour day and then get back to their first priority- their family and friends. And the people in our site locations actually like each other and have far less employee relations conflicts.

Last edited by Workaholic?; 10-16-2011 at 05:09 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
In my twenty years in Washington DC I have run into my share of uptight XXXX's Type A types. I look back at the many people I have met in the various Government Contractors I have met through the years and chills come down my spine. In general, what a nasty group of people!

I travel a a lot in my job and spend maybe half the time on the road and get an interesting viewpoint and perspective of the differences between workplaces (and employees) in Washington DC and everywhere else. With exceptions of course, the people in the Washington DC area offices are filled with nasty people who have huge egos and want to turn the world on fire with their advanced intellect, drive and ambition.

The people who work in our my employer's Washington DC offices are the grown up version of the kid who studied 12 hours a night who had to get straight A's in school and drove everyone nuts with too many questions in class. Now he or she lives to work and show everyone how smart they are. While the offices in the DC area are filled with people who were not born here they all came here for one main purpose- TO WORK and WORD long and hard hours.

The staff at our offices in Little Rock, Raleigh and Knoxville TN are generally laid back and happy to put in a 8 hour day and then get back to their first priority- their family and friends. And the people in our site locations actually like each other and have far less employee relations conflicts.
That is DC for you, not just your specific employer. Many threads about it. Imean think about it:

NYC sells money
Silicon Valley sells IT/VC
Houston sells Oil/Fortune 500 status

What does DC sell? How many billlionaires call DC home? How many companies have been started in DC compared to other cities.

From the government to the numerous non profits.....DC sells power, and we are swimming in it. People throw Office titles around like it means something, and they live in the mounds of bureaucracy that is created to emphasize such power.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Yawn. People are so horrible because they have drive and ambition to change the world.

All these insecure posters get nauseating after a while and suggest maybe our country's best days are, in fact, behind it. No doubt Steve Jobs will be remembered most for kicking back with a beer after he put his 8 hours in.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:47 AM

656 posts, read 648,501 times
Workaholism is a potentially life threatening condition, like any other addiction. I thought everyone knew that by now.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Workaholism is a potentially life threatening condition, like any other addiction. I thought everyone knew that by now.
Working hard and being driven to go beyond the minimum required is not the same as being a "workaholic". I'm not one of those people, mind you, but I'm not going to begrudge someone who is just because they make me look bad.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
I get your point. But come on. You do realize that Little Rock, Raleigh and Knoxville are not in the same tier as DC, right?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-16-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 07:48 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Yawn. People are so horrible because they have drive and ambition to change the world.

All these insecure posters get nauseating after a while and suggest maybe our country's best days are, in fact, behind it. No doubt Steve Jobs will be remembered most for kicking back with a beer after he put his 8 hours in.
Yeah, Steve Jobs loved to have cycles taken out of his work innovating with Apple in silicon valley by coming to DC to testify on overblown smartphone allegations. Great example.

Red tape in DC doesnt help us get to #1 in world rankings.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times
From the OP:

I never said that the people in DC aren't exactly like you would expect, but I talk to lots of people who moved here from more peaceful places and they are shocked just how mean and unfriendly it is, and I just wanted to warn people!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
From the OP:

I never said that the people in DC aren't exactly like you would expect, but I talk to lots of people who moved here from more peaceful places and they are shocked just how mean and unfriendly it is, and I just wanted to warn people!
You waited 20 years to warn people?

Does that mean that, in 2021, you'll issue an advisory that rents can be high here, too?

Seriously, everyone knows that there's an element of truth to your post, but it's well-trod territory. Does anyone really move to DC and think it's going to be like Little Rock?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Yeah, Steve Jobs loved to have cycles taken out of his work innovating with Apple in silicon valley by coming to DC to testify on overblown smartphone allegations. Great example.

Red tape in DC doesnt help us get to #1 in world rankings.
Umm... you totally missed the point. We were discussing people driven to work hard and change the world. Steve Jobs is one of those people. Trying to link it into "government red tape" misses the point entirely.

And, to correct your previous post, all those cities you list produce power in different ways. DC's specific output is policy.

This is just such a tired topic. We all know there are douchebags here just like in Hollywood and Wall Street and anywhere that people go to get power in the world. I do quite well to avoid them and so can you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: