Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering about this after a question posted in another thread. For DC residents, we have no respectable institutions for residents to become educated that is affordable, unlike every state has. Our only option is UDC. Otherwise, we have to pay high-priced out-of-state tuition or attend one of the other private schools here because we have no other resort. Sure, UDC is an acceptable institution for getting an undergraduate education. But in graduate school, prospective students look for a school with some amount of recognition and prestige, known for high-quality faculty and challenging, stimulating curricula, along with connections to many strong alum.

Why doesn't the city have any better options for public post-secondary education for its residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Otherwise, we have to pay high-priced out-of-state tuition or attend one of the other private schools here because we have no other resort.
Don't DC residents get in-state tuition at other states' universities? That seems like it would make up for the lack of DC public universities.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:33 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I can't remember the specifics, but there is some sort of grant or something that makes up the difference at out-of-state universities for DC residents. However, I don't know if there are any requirements (i.e. good grades) or if it's also for graduate school. Another option is to move to MD or VA for however long it takes to establish residency and get your in-state tuition that way.

As far as "why", my guess is that it's just because DC's a city and hasn't necessarily had the funds or market to develop a high-class university.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I'm guessing that it might have to do with UDC simply never having had a chance to capture a group. All the rich people can afford to send their kids to private universities or out-of-state schools, all the really smart people get scholarships. The poor state of DCPS affairs means that many students simply aren't up-to-snuff for getting admitted to great schools, so UDC has had to fill in that knowledge gap, essentially turning it into a community college. Now that there's a CCDC and UDC, maybe that'll change.

I honestly don't think it will become a respectable university until DCPS becomes better.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Don't DC residents get in-state tuition at other states' universities? That seems like it would make up for the lack of DC public universities.
Not at all.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:51 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Not at all.
Well yes

State Superintendent of Education: DCTAG, pg 1 (http://osse.dc.gov/seo/cwp/view,A,1226,Q,536770,seoNav_GID,1511,.asp - broken link)

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 PM

86 posts, read 241,863 times
check this out (http://osse.dc.gov/seo/cwp/view,A,1226,Q,536770,seoNav_GID,1511,.asp - broken link)

[SIZE=2]DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program (DCTAG) is what i was thinking about in the other post. pretty good program and it is not need or merit based.

to be honest a lot of the students who actually graduate from dcps and want to go to college usually want to get away from dc for a while. i know that a few university of maryland system schools do attract a lot of dc residents; bowie state university (pretty good, respectable hbcu, known for producing engineering students), university of maryland college park (probably the all around best Big school in the DMV region), and the university of maryland eastern shore (beautiful campus on the eastern shore of maryland)
[/SIZE]

Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
One theory is that UDC, which resulted from the merger of a couple or three other colleges, has tried to be too many things to too many people. A community college for vocational and remedial education, a 4 year university and a professional graduate school.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
check this out (http://osse.dc.gov/seo/cwp/view,A,1226,Q,536770,seoNav_GID,1511,.asp - broken link)

[SIZE=2]DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program (DCTAG) is what i was thinking about in the other post. pretty good program and it is not need or merit based.

to be honest a lot of the students who actually graduate from dcps and want to go to college usually want to get away from dc for a while. i know that a few university of maryland system schools do attract a lot of dc residents; bowie state university (pretty good, respectable hbcu, known for producing engineering students), university of maryland college park (probably the all around best Big school in the DMV region), and the university of maryland eastern shore (beautiful campus on the eastern shore of maryland)
[/SIZE]
I received TAG assistance, and that barely covered my room and board costs for a year.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM

86 posts, read 241,863 times
Quote:
I received TAG assistance, and that barely covered my room and board costs for a year.
what school did you attend? it's supposed to cover i believe up to 10k of tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC