U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 AM

193 posts, read 418,215 times

Advertisements

So, I have been thinking for some time now about exploring this religion/philosophy. I have always been agnostic/spiritual but not religious.

I have always been interested in spiritual growth in a non-religious way, if that makes any sense. The little that I have read about Buddhism really appeals to me. Although my long ago former roommate was a Buddhist who had an altar in her room that she would chant in front of daily. I don't think I want to be doing that.

Are there any Buddhists on this forum who would care to describe their experiences with temples in the DC area (is that what they are called?) or educational centers and recommend a couple to someone seeking to learn more? Any tips on good on-line resources to get me started would be great.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM

22,326 posts, read 23,539,181 times
The Wat Thai is the largest Buddhist temple in the DC area. I live close to it and know they have major events throughout the year.

History of Wat Thaidc (http://www.watthaidc.org/watdc10/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&It emid=28 - broken link)

Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 AM

16,207 posts, read 39,532,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Wat Thai is the largest Buddhist temple in the DC area. I live close to it and know they have major events throughout the year.

History of Wat Thaidc (http://www.watthaidc.org/watdc10/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&It emid=28 - broken link)
Cool it's in silver spring. It's also Thai, even better!

I just assumed, previous to your post, that Virginia would have had the largest in the area. Interesting it's Maryland.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:10 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,293,720 times
NIPPONZAN MYOHOJI
Japanese Buddhist Temple
4900 16th Street, NW
(at corner of Blagden Ave.)
Washington, DC 20011 USA

Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cool it's in silver spring. It's also Thai, even better!

I just assumed, previous to your post, that Virginia would have had the largest in the area. Interesting it's Maryland.
As developed and diverse as northern Virginia is nowadays, much of it's still a relatively new kid on the block, so to speak. Just a few decades ago, Montgomery County, Maryland was the premier suburban region in the D.C. area. Lots of different places of religious worship were built during that time. The Maryland suburbs still have a lot of diversity, including large Asian populations, even though northern Virginia has overtaken Maryland in that respect.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:52 PM

656 posts, read 597,977 times
Maybe if the lobbyists and Type A's converted to Buddhism DC would be a better place to live.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:11 PM

193 posts, read 418,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Maybe if the lobbyists and Type A's converted to Buddhism DC would be a better place to live.
Yeah, and Type Bs who have to be around them as well to learn how to keep from strangling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Thanks. Is it the really tall structure you see from 495 when you are crossing from VA to MD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
NIPPONZAN MYOHOJI
Japanese Buddhist Temple
4900 16th Street, NW
(at corner of Blagden Ave.)
Washington, DC 20011 USA
I know where this building is. I have driven past there. Never thought it was a temple.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM

361 posts, read 794,497 times
[quote=CocoTheNut;21310325]Yeah, and Type Bs who have to be around them as well to learn how to keep from strangling them.

Thanks. Is it the really tall structure you see from 495 when you are crossing from VA to MD?

[quote]

I think you're talking about the Mormon Temple in Kensington.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
The Wat Thai is north of DC in Silver Spring. Like, if you draw a straight line north from the Lincoln Memorial, then you eventually hit the Wat Thai about 4 miles outside the Beltway.

I'm sure there are several other smaller Buddhist temples all over the DC area.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 PM

361 posts, read 794,497 times
I hear folks talking about some buddhist monastery in Montgomery County maybe, that opens its doors to visitors for weekend retreats and such. Does anybody know about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: