Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
The problem is no one can afford to live in the neighborhoods.

"no one goes there anymore, its too crowded" Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 05:37 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times
As to old, I just meant that a lot of the homes and areas have retained their charm - rather than being razed to the ground by some developer and turned into cookie cutter cul de sacs of identical homes (which Georgetown could have become).

The nightlife thing is very personal - I'm married + kiddo so "nightlife" to me is pretty different than it is to a 25 year old. That said, I don't know why people say its bad, there seem to be plenty of bars etc, but hey, to each his (or her) own.

Re weather... come from Chicago where its cold and gray for 6,7 months - and brutally cold for 4 of those.... and suddenly a little crappy weather 1 or 2 months of the year seems like a pretty good trade.

I just wish they would expand the bridges into VA. Seems like such an obvious bottleneck (chain bridge should expand to 2 lanes going into VA, or that spot on macarthur where there's a one lane bridge that alternates) ... that hasn't changed at all in the last 30 years.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
well durr, of course you find DC winters better than chicago winters. A guy from Biloxi, MS or from Iraq probably finds our summers almost autumnal compared to the heat they deal with.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
well durr, of course you find DC winters better than chicago winters. A guy from Biloxi, MS or from Iraq probably finds our summers almost autumnal compared to the heat they deal with.
Of course... but wouldn't that be true of any comment - positive or otherwise - weather or not - someone makes? Arent' we all basically comparing to some prior experience? I guess I dont see whats wrong with my making that comparison.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

DC's winters are also mild compared to NYC winters.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
By that logic NYC is the cheapest city in the US (since it is by far the most packed). :-)

I think "cheap" means pay rent and have enough for hotdogs vs cup of noodles.
Or maybe stay in school, study hard, get a good job, live where you want to live.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
1. There's not much charm in a city built on top of a swamp.
1. Only small parts of the city (the Mall itself, Union Station, perhaps the area around Nats Stadium) were actually "swamp" in anyone's sense of the word.

2. On the other hand, I don't think anyone would argue that New Orleans or Memphis were built on swamps, nor that they are practically suffocating in charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC