Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 AM

27,284 posts, read 28,353,458 times

Advertisements

See, this is why I don't make that much of a distinction between DC and most of its suburbs. I consider the area part of a whole.

Moreover, DC's population rises to over a million during the workday, and it's very diverse. Where do all those people come from? The suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 PM

465 posts, read 925,720 times
DC isn't well integrated as NYC is. There's relatively little black/white co-mingling Fri/Sat nights. What a shame. Adams Morgan is hilarious because it's half white douches half ghetto trash and ne'er shall the twain meet.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM

430 posts, read 1,188,835 times
When I was at the Omni Hotel, the cooperate square of D.C. was AMAZINGLY packed and vivid. Although once night fell it literally died. As for diversity, it seemed to have far more asians , and little more blacks than were I live. I like the diversity alot, it gives D.C. more of a robust/full fell to it.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,647,572 times
We can always just turn to the numbers to settle this. From the Census:

DC metropolitan area/USA
Whites: 54.8%/72.4%
Blacks: 25.8%/12.6%
Asians: 9.3%/4.8%
Hispanic/Latino of any race: 13.8%/16.3%
Other: 6%/6.2%

So overall, blacks and asians are overrepresented while hispanics are slightly underrepresented. Whites are also underrepresented, and interestingly "other" are just about right.

So this region is definitely racially diverse. Ethnically it is as well; "black" includes African-Americans and Ethiopian immigrants, for instance.

Now, is it integrated? That's up for debate.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,528,265 times
The suburbs are more diverse because thats where all the IT and biotech jobs are which are dominated by Indians and East Asians.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:45 PM

2,400 posts, read 3,628,220 times
I was born and raised in DC and still maintain residency today. My perspective on diversity in DC is that it's a very, very segregated city. More segregated than most cities in large metropolitan areas I've been (Chicago, Hartford, New York, Raleigh, Richmond, Philadelphia, Atlanta among them). Although I've noticed a growing white population in the past several years, I've also noticed a decrease in areas that were formerly concentrated with poor blacks, likely due to the common gentrification. If you ride around the city throughout various neighborhoods, the middle and upper middle class areas are filled with people identifying as white and Asian. There are almost no poor whites in the city. Every poor area is predominately Black, by at least 95%. Pockets resembling suburbia are popping up in areas such as Anacostia, Shaw, and what was formerly a predominantly Black ghetto of public housing near the Navy Yard area in Southwest and Near Southeast, are now expensive luxury condos filled with... whites and Asians.

The city itself is diverse, considering it's about 50% black and over a third white, with a growing Asian population, but when you consider which area you're in, it's very single-sided to either Black or White in this town. For example: Capital Hill: white; Palisades: white; Chevy Chase: white; everywhere east/south of "the river," with "pocket exceptions" in small areas such as Hillcrest: black, disproportionately poor, and unemployed. It doesn't seem so diverse. There are Black children growing up in D.C. right now who think a white population in the city is "strange" and an abnormality because they aren't exposed to them where they live.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:53 PM

246 posts, read 586,807 times
Downtown is pretty diverse. When I take my child to our neighborhood park, it is rare that I hear fewer than 4 or 5 languages spoken, and it isn't a very big park.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 PM

2,400 posts, read 3,628,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
We can always just turn to the numbers to settle this. From the Census:

District of Columbia/USA
Whites: 38.5%/72.4%
White Non-Hispanic: 34.8%/63.7%
Blacks: 50.7%/12.6%

Asians: 3.5%/4.8%
Hispanic/Latino of any race: 9.1%/16.3%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1%/0.2%
Two or more races: 2.9%/2.9%
American Indian and Alaskan Native: 0.3%/0.9%

FTFY

Source: 2010 D.C. Census Don't really care about metro area. Only the District is the district.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM

656 posts, read 645,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I was born and raised in DC and still maintain residency today. My perspective on diversity in DC is that it's a very, very segregated city. More segregated than most cities in large metropolitan areas I've been (Chicago, Hartford, New York, Raleigh, Richmond, Philadelphia, Atlanta among them). Although I've noticed a growing white population in the past several years, I've also noticed a decrease in areas that were formerly concentrated with poor blacks, likely due to the common gentrification. If you ride around the city throughout various neighborhoods, the middle and upper middle class areas are filled with people identifying as white and Asian. There are almost no poor whites in the city. Every poor area is predominately Black, by at least 95%. Pockets resembling suburbia are popping up in areas such as Anacostia, Shaw, and what was formerly a predominantly Black ghetto of public housing near the Navy Yard area in Southwest and Near Southeast, are now expensive luxury condos filled with... whites and Asians.

The city itself is diverse, considering it's about 50% black and over a third white, with a growing Asian population, but when you consider which area you're in, it's very single-sided to either Black or White in this town. For example: Capital Hill: white; Palisades: white; Chevy Chase: white; everywhere east/south of "the river," with "pocket exceptions" in small areas such as Hillcrest: black, disproportionately poor, and unemployed. It doesn't seem so diverse. There are Black children growing up in D.C. right now who think a white population in the city is "strange" and an abnormality because they aren't exposed to them where they live.
That is true. What a lot of people here don't understand is that having "white" and "black" sides of a city is not diverse. You can find that makeup in almost any large city in the country, except maybe Honolulu.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,647,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
FTFY

Source: 2010 D.C. Census Don't really care about metro area. Only the District is the district.
IMO, each municipality is so interconnected with each other that either set of numbers is valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC