Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:37 PM

581 posts, read 2,308,419 times

Advertisements

Hello Nova folks,

I am looking at a job in Chantilly and will need to rent a condo or apartment.
What would be the best area/city to rent in that is dating friendly and within
20 mins drive of the "50 & 28" area of Chantilly?

I am a straight male and looking for the 25-35 yo female crowd. Which city
makes the most sense? Reston, Herndon, Vienna, Fairfax?

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom55116 View Post
Hello Nova folks,

I am looking at a job in Chantilly and will need to rent a condo or apartment.
What would be the best area/city to rent in that is dating friendly and within
20 mins drive of the "50 & 28" area of Chantilly?

I am a straight male and looking for the 25-35 yo female crowd. Which city
makes the most sense? Reston, Herndon, Vienna, Fairfax?

Thanks for the info!
I think living near the George Mason University area in Fairfax would be your best bet. Although GMU has no semblance of campus life, its the farthest out spot on the Metro line and its like 20 min from Chantilly in NO traffic. With real life traffic you should probably simply move to Chantilly and drive to the GMU metro stop parking garage on weekends and take the Metro into some good places in DC. NOVA in general has an incredibly dead social scene as far as I know.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks PhenomenalAJ..

That's sad that there are not even a few areas in the burbs that are singles oriented.
There are a lot of jobs in the Chantily/Reston/Fairfax areas and I have to think a lot of
single people work there and are faced with the same dating needs. Everyone who works
out this way commutes into DC for their dating needs?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
There are two singles oriented areas in the burbs: Clarendon in Arlington and Old Town in Alexandria.
So I would suggest living in Arlington. It wouldn't be TOO far from Chantilly, and you would also be close to DC.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 PM

Arlington is probably an 1hr (or more) with commuting traffic. I guess PhenomenalAJ has
the best suggestion. Live close to work in Chantilly and take the orange line downtown
on the weekends.

Which would be the better location for things to do? Chantilly, Fairfax, or Reston Town Center?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
I like Reston Town Center. I went there for the first time last week when I made an appointment at the Apple store. Reston is a very nice area but its not exactly a party scene. As mentioned Old Town and Clarendon are the only party places. You can meet girls in the suburbs but they won't be concentrated, everyone is very spread out here.

Honestly a 20 minute commute is extremely short for this area, almost unrealistic. You'd have to live in Chantilly or the Fair Lakes area of Fairfax if a short commute is important to you.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Reston or the area near GMU are the best bets near Chantilly, IMO. I would try posting this question on the Northern VA forum. It's a very active forum and people there are more likely to have better suggestions.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 PM
yrb

91 posts, read 220,382 times
What you need to do is rent in walking distance from an Orange line station. Vienna will be closest to your work obviously. I don't actually know if there is anything walkable from the Metro to rent there, but you could check other stations too, it won't be such a long drive, you'll be going somewhat against traffic.

Not having to drive after going out will be a huge boost to your social life. And forget Reston, Fairfax etc, there is nothing there. You want to be as close to DC/Arlington as you can.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Not sure why you aren't asking in the Northern Virginia forum.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 AM

219 posts, read 595,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrb View Post
What you need to do is rent in walking distance from an Orange line station. Vienna will be closest to your work obviously. I don't actually know if there is anything walkable from the Metro to rent there, but you could check other stations too, it won't be such a long drive, you'll be going somewhat against traffic.

Not having to drive after going out will be a huge boost to your social life. And forget Reston, Fairfax etc, there is nothing there. You want to be as close to DC/Arlington as you can.

I totally agree! As a young man myself the closer you live to a metro, the better. And trust me you are not going to like living in Reston, Fairfax or Chantilly because you will be seriously bored! I would really recommend Arlington but since the commute may be a little too long, get as close to the Vienna metro station as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC