Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Are you serious? It's a nice stadium. They have excellent concessions, great family environment and a very DC centric feel. If anything I say it is an above average stadium. Camden Yards is still better but not by much.
I'm very serious. To each his (her) own, but I think it's an awful stadium, or at least it is considering its price tag. Like many things in this city, I felt that the stadium was rushed. While I can appreciate the emphasis on economy (especially in a town known for its largesse), the stadium is very underwhelming from an aesthetic point of view. I think Camden Yards with its iron gates and brick facade is about three or four notches above Nats Stadium. Camden Yards has a very elegant, timeless feel to it whereas Nats Stadium has a more bland, contemporary style that will be jettisoned in favor of something else in 15 to 20 years time. I just feel like we could have done better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:26 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,774 times
Nats Stadium isn't bad, that whole area was suppose to redevelop. Weren't there suppose to be like retail/restaurants/condos up along that street where the Navy Yard metro is?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,575 times
There are tons of diehard skins fans out here in DC. The caps are doing okay as of late, but the Skins were the one team that was always able to cross all demographic lines in uniting the city whether white or black, purple or blue. The numbers speak for themselves. Even with the lack of recent success, they are still one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world after the cowgirls and yankees. DC area fans could give two ****s about the franchise label though. The truth is that many are so SICK and TIRED of all the losing for the past decade. Multiple quarterbacks & coaches coming through here like a revolving door with no stability. Thanks mostly in part to having a bi-polar marketing goon trying to pose as a football owner.

The past decade of disappointing season after season has definitely started to over shadow the 70s ,80s & early 90s glory days. I guarantee you though, whenever the Redskins can return to being a legit Superbowl contender going deep into the playoffs year after year like the Pats or Colts (pre-manning neck injury), there'll be no question as to what kind of sports city DC is

Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Huh? Detroit has had so-so teams as well. The Pistons had their hey day and so did the Red Wings, but both the Lions and Tigers (not Bears oh my) have had some awful season. At least in DC we have had some championships from the Redskins, Bullets, and heck even the United. And let's not forget the Capitals went to the Stanley Cup in 1999 and have been moderately successful that past 3-4 years. To me Detroit success in sports has been pretty similar to DC's.
The Caps trip to the finals was in 1998, and they were swept by, guess who? That's right the Detroit Red Wings, one of the more successful franchises, in any sport, over the past 20 years. They've been to the Finals six times in those 20 years, winning 4 times. They are a threat every year to win the Cup. Their hey day isn't quite over yet. I grew up with them (Dead Wings era - 1970s to 1980s). I'm sticking with them. I've followed the Caps from far away over the past 25 years. They've been pretty good over those years. I have no problem supporting them as my second team. They are only now on the level the Red Wings have been for ages now. I still remember when Verizon Center fans were mostly wearing red (Red Wings red) even before the Caps changed to Red uniforms. In 1998 you could not get tickets for the Finals in Detroit, but it was super easy to get them in DC. I'd love to see the Caps get a Cup, but not if it's against Detroit.

I've never liked the Lions, but I have always like the Vikings. I just can't like the Redskins as much as I like them. If they ever win again, I'll be happy for 'em though.

The Tigers. Again, I grew up with them. I loved 1984! I'll never forget it. I have too many special memories at Tiger Stadium to ever want to switch to the Nats.

The Pistons: I'm not a big basketball fan. I enjoyed their 2 championships, but to me they are not any more interesting than the Wizards.

I guess I'm an example of what the Post wrote about.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,067 times
More people would go see Nats games if they would only start winning. Last year was very promising, they finished just a smidgen under .500 and showed real good promise. With Strasburg coming back full strength next season, and Bryce Harper possibly being called up from the minors, who know how well the Nats can do next season. Or they could fall apart and suck as usual.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I hear ya. There's something about the Nats I just don't like (besides the fact they're in the NL East with the Phils). The biggest thing for me is that they had an opportunity to build an off-the-chain stadium and design off-the-chain uniforms and logos and blew it. The design of Nationals Stadium is about as exciting as Terminal E of Reagan National Airport. Its only redeeming quality is that it's not called "Clark Realty and Construction Stadium." The uniforms are blah. As much as I hate the Yankees and the Sox, I definitely appreciate their uniforms and logos.
I agree with this. I have tried to adopt DC area teams as my 2nd favorites but there is just something bland about the Nats. The name, uniforms/hats, logo, lack of history. I think most newer baseball teams have this problem. With so many franchises going back well over 100 years with fans tracing loyalty back generations, it is hard for new ones to really stick out.

I like the Redskins and Caps a lot though.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I agree with this. I have tried to adopt DC area teams as my 2nd favorites but there is just something bland about the Nats. The name, uniforms/hats, logo, lack of history. I think most newer baseball teams have this problem. With so many franchises going back well over 100 years with fans tracing loyalty back generations, it is hard for new ones to really stick out.

I like the Redskins and Caps a lot though.
Its as if the Nats were trying to be bland and boring. Even the W sucks the way it was designed. Nationals also has no real image whatsoever. What do you think of when you hear nationals? I think of nothing but a lack of any image whatsoever.

At the minimum, I would have played up on the DC connecing it with energy or bolts or lightning or something at the minimum. Even gnats would have been better, at least an image of a gnat exists in the mind.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
I'm not sure what some of your expected, I mean what else can you do with a team named the Nationals. I think their navy blue jersey with the flag in the curly W are classic. Very clean look, not too busy and represents this area and the significance of it. I mean point blank, baseball uniforms aren't really that exciting anyway. They all wear the same grey away colors! I just wonder out of everyone who is complaining about the Nats, how many actually watch baseball on a regular basis? It's one thing for a casual fan to say this, but I would imagine the diehard baseball fans would look pass this. After all, do you all think the Yankees jersey are that exciting? They have had the same uniforms for the past 100 years.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
The problem with the DC sports scene is that the SWPLs have nothing to get behind. They would rally behind the Skins if they had a good season and they weren't called the "Redskins." I don't think we'll ever see a mass of cute SWPL chicks walking around Dupont Circle wearing "Go Skins" shirts the way you see cute girls strolling down Newbury Street in Boston with "Go Sox" shirts on. The racist connotation makes the team very unpopular with the SWPL crowd in the District, but the diehards don't seem to mind a bit, and thus the name remains.

And as the poster above stated, the Nats' lack of history makes people totally unenthusiastic about the team. There's no Curse of the Bambino. No Legend. No Lore. No Green Monster. No Ivy Walls. Just a sub-par baseball team with a convention center for a stadium.

Very few cities seem to be that into basketball. There doesn't seem to be the same mania around basketball as there is around football and baseball.

The Caps could win the next ten Stanley Cups and you still wouldn't feel like we live in a sports town. The Stanley Cup really only matters in cities like Boston, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago and Montreal. Those towns have a real big hockey culture. I'm sure there'd be excitement over a Caps dynasty, but nothing of the sort if the Redskins landed Andrew Luck and won 3 Super Bowls in four years.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what some of your expected, I mean what else can you do with a team named the Nationals. I think their navy blue jersey with the flag in the curly W are classic. Very clean look, not too busy and represents this area and the significance of it. I mean point blank, baseball uniforms aren't really that exciting anyway. They all wear the same grey away colors! I just wonder out of everyone who is complaining about the Nats, how many actually watch baseball on a regular basis? It's one thing for a casual fan to say this, but I would imagine the diehard baseball fans would look pass this. After all, do you all think the Yankees jersey are that exciting? They have had the same uniforms for the past 100 years.
Detroit Tigers with Tiger images...

Baltimore Orioles with Oriole images...

Toronto Blue Jays with Blue Jay images...

I've always thought the Pittsburgh Pirates had a cool image, and the black and yellow flat cap style look has always been interesting. The Pirate emblem is at least interesting to look at.

Perhaps something like 'DC Bolts' with lightning bolts and an emblem around it....

I just don't get anything out of a curly 'W' being the highlight of the image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC