Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 PM

207 posts, read 322,031 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a 23-year-old male law student from Atlanta moving to DC for a work/study at GWU/the Hill. Basically, I am having a hard time figuring out where to search for housing on Craigslist that's in between both. Before I go into the details, i'll answer the questions from the sticky.

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?

I won't have a car, so it would be nice to be near a metro line or bus line. I also wouldn't mind walking, and am also open to biking, but I would rather take public transport.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)

Less than a 30 minute commute, door-to-door, to both the Hill and GWU, either by metro rail, bus, foot, or (least favored) bike.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates?

Yes.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?

It would be nice to have washer/dryer.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford?

$1,000/month, but would like to keep it less obviously.

6. What is my definition of safe?

I would like to be able to walk around at night. I am ok with an area that is "still gentrifying with some rough patches, but basically almost there", but preferably nothing less.

Basically, I am cool with a neighborhood with car break-ins and a rare mugging, but not with home invasions or shootings.

7. How important is nightlife?

Nightlife is very important. I would like to be close to the cool nightlife areas or even live in one.

--------

I would describe myself as mainstream--not a hipster or anything. I am a single, straight, white male, if that helps at all.

I have heard Capitol Hill and Dupont would be good places. I want to live with and around 20-somethings.

Can someone recommend areas that fit my criteria? Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,325 times
Budget is the challenge here. Dupont fits the bill, but $1,000 a mo, utilities included is tough. Are you open to roommates?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
1000 a month - kewl with nuisance crime - likes to bike

I think you would have a lot of options in some of the newer transitional areas - the cheaper parts of Capitol Hill, Shaw/NoMa, maybe Columbia Heights, maybe Petworth. Actually I think the north part of Capitol Hill, nr H street NE would be worth looking into.

I dont know the RE markets there that well - you might be looking at a roommate situation to stay within budget, at least in the less rough areas. Im not sure.

The good news is that DC is a heavy biking city, with lots of new biking facilities, which you should investigate. And crime has decreased - there are still shootings, but a lot of the "transitional" areas are mostly afflicted with the kinds of nuisance stuff you consider tolerable, which is why people like you are flocking to them.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Budget is the challenge here. Dupont fits the bill, but $1,000 a mo, utilities included is tough. Are you open to roommates?

Dupont is one of the priciest areas in metro DC, and has hardly any rough spots left. Its "high yuppie". I would not suggest OP waste his time looking there. many better options.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
I would describe myself as mainstream--not a hipster or anything. I am a single, straight, white male, if that helps at all.

given your budget, prepare to be around hipsters.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 AM

656 posts, read 648,345 times
What about the area around 3rd and Q St. NW? That's almost equidistant from GW and the Hill.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,674 times
The guy said he was open to having multiple roommates. If he looks hard enough I'm sure he can find a room for $1000

Old 10-21-2011, 08:04 AM

656 posts, read 648,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
The guy said he was open to having multiple roommates. If he looks hard enough I'm sure he can find a room for $1000
How much does it cost to rent a room in a group house these days? When I did it it was $250/month.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
I agree that to find a place under $1,000 in a safe area near the metro, you should look for a spot in someone's apartment or group house.
Go to Craigslist and look for the housing listings under "rooms/shared." You should be able to find somewhere in Dupont, Foggy Bottom, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, Capitol Hill, etc.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:47 AM

207 posts, read 322,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Yes, I would actually prefer roommates so I can meet some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC