Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Be very careful in deciding to move to the DC area. If youre in LA and employed you'd be a fool to move to DC. LA has its drawbacks as does DC but LA's drawbacks are pretty much the same as DC's (crime, horrible traffic, high housing prices/rent) but with none of LA's great advantages (warm weather, beaches, beautiful people, people more laid back). If you move to DC you will be in for a culture shock as to how ugly women can be in a large metropolitan area. Its also gray skies a lot and horrendous traffic probably even worse than LA. Stay put if you have a steady job, that's my advice.

People take the train in major urban cities like NYC and D.C. so traffic is your choice. In country spread out cities like L.A., they drive becuase that is the only option. You don't sound like you are used to the city. Maybe you would be more happy moving to an area with more open land, pastures, farm animals, and a slower way of life. The city is not for everyone. D.C. is for people that want to live an urban lifestyle which doesn't seem to appeal to you.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
If you plan to drive to downtown DC you are bound to get lost. It is nothing like NYC or Philly. If you miss any of the ramps to get off RCP you will be screwed. Your GPS will not give you clear directions as during rush hour, many streets will run South during morning rush hour and North during afternoon/evening rush hr. Driving in DC generally sucks if you are not familiar of its streets.

Why would you be driving to downtown D.C.? That is what the train is made for.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 AM

656 posts, read 648,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why would you be driving to downtown D.C.? That is what the train is made for.
Lots of people drive into downtown and park in a garage each day. If you have enough money to do it, it's no big deal.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Lots of people drive into downtown and park in a garage each day. If you have enough money to do it, it's no big deal.
Yeah, that is a choice. But, if you make that choice, how can you complain about traffic since you chose to drive? If someone doesn't like traffic, don't drive. How can you complain about a choice you made?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yeah, that is a choice. But, if you make that choice, how can you complain about traffic since you chose to drive? If someone doesn't like traffic, don't drive. How can you complain about a choice you made?
I never complained about traffic. You must be referring to some other poster.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
I never complained about traffic. You must be referring to some other poster.
I wasn't responding to you per se, I was responding to the issues brought up about confusion of streets and traffic in the thread. If you chose to drive, then you can't complain about a choice you made. That is what I meant.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,443 times
My dad had to shuttle my sister and her crew team from Thompson boat center by the Potomac next to the House of Sweden. During rush hour. And at that time RCP was going North one-way between the hrs of 4-6:15 and you could not completely drive from water st onto RCP. I can't remember the entire route but either you had 2 choices, I-66 or RCP. Some places take a while to get there by PT so carpooling was quicker (had to get them home too).

Old 10-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
My dad had to shuttle my sister and her crew team from Thompson boat center by the Potomac next to the House of Sweden. During rush hour. And at that time RCP was going North one-way between the hrs of 4-6:15 and you could not completely drive from water st onto RCP. I can't remember the entire route but either you had 2 choices, I-66 or RCP. Some places take a while to get there by PT so carpooling was quicker (had to get them home too).

That is an urban planning technique called traffic managment. Having the majority of lanes run the direction of rush hour traffic allows traffic engineers flexibilty to manage traffic without building new lanes. Philly doesn't have a large amount of jobs in center city so they don't have the problems D.C. has with traffic managment into downtown. NYC's traffic is way worse than traffic into downtown D.C. like crossing into Manhattan so you see how that is working for them. Learning the street system in a city like D.C. that only trails NYC and Chicago in downtown workforce is very neccesary. Virginia also has a bottle neck into D.C. that Maryland does not because Virginian's have to cross bridges to get into downtown. There are only so many bridges to get in any city so there lies your traffic problem.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,513 times
Quote:
What about the LA metro area? Other than gas prices being mad higher on avg than here I would like to get an idea of what it's like vs DC area (specifically the MD suburbs).
Out of curiosity, I looked at real estate sites for LA. I've found that you can live in certain parts of Beverly Hills more cheaply than 10 miles outside of the beltway in Northern Virginia. There are really only a few places in LA which are the same sort of insane prices that you see consistently all over the DC metro area.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked at real estate sites for LA. I've found that you can live in certain parts of Beverly Hills more cheaply than 10 miles outside of the beltway in Northern Virginia. There are really only a few places in LA which are the same sort of insane prices that you see consistently all over the DC metro area.
The only part of Cali that's as expensive as DC is in the bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC