Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 PM
m22 m22 started this thread

139 posts, read 586,284 times

Advertisements

We're coming from Texas and will be looking for things to do in DC. Recommendations of must-see stops for the holidays, please!
Also, recommendations for clean, affordable lodging? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post
We're coming from Texas and will be looking for things to do in DC. Recommendations of must-see stops for the holidays, please!
Go to the Mormon temple in Kensington, MD just outside DC. I am not Mormon but I used to always go there when I was a kid and they have a live nativity scene with tons of people and loads of decorations. The Mormon temple isn't just a church sized church either, it literally looks like a Disney castle.

Also one I cant remember precisely where in DC this is but they have a thing where each state has its own little thing of Xmas decorations vaguely themed with its state, I went there a lot as a kid too.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
Will you have a car? If you're flying to DC, you can actually see most attractions (though not the Mormon temple) using public transportation and tour buses.

"Must-sees" aren't the same for everyone. And you don't say if you mean just Christmas-related must-sees (if not, need a guide book, which I assume you've already done). DC is not the most Christmasy city I've been in (I lived in Silver Spring for a few years). The National Christmas Tree near the White House (that may be the location of the displays mentioned by the first posters) and the Congressional Xmas tree in front of the Capitol can be nice. Probably more decorations over-all in Georgtown and Old Town Alexandria. You may also want to take a tour of Mount Vernon, south of Alexandria (there should be displays). The Kennedy Center and Ford's Theatre may have special Xmas shows.

"Clean, affordable" is very broad. What's affordable to me may not be to you (and vice versa). Heck, to some people the historic Willard Hotel in DC is affordable (still worth a visit even if, like me, you can't afford to stay there). What's your budget? What area(s) have you considered? We've stayed in the Rosslyn section of Arlington, across the Potomac River from DC, the last couple of visits. Close to Metro Rail for easy access into DC. Some prefer to stay as close as possible to the National Mall in DC so they can walk to many museums, though prices can be higher than in outllying areas. You might check sites like Tripadvisor, Expedia, etc. for ideas, and even consider Hotwire & Priceline if you are willing to not know the name of the hotel beforehand. I'd definitely want to stay near public transit (Metro rail/subway).

Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Most of the museums are closed for Christmas Day itself, but will be open all other days. The outdoor monuments and parks are all open every day, of course.

Since there's no business being conducted then, hotels in general are VERY cheap at Christmastime, especially compared to the usual rates around here. Treat yourself to somewhere nice.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:03 PM

290 posts, read 547,627 times
We always make a night out of doing the following:

* Visit the US Botanic Gardens near the US Capitol. They have model trains going through their indoor gardens and have replicas of DC landmarks made out of wood. The entire thing, including bridges is made out of natural materials.
* Then walk over to the US Capitol grounds to view the Christmas Tree. It's an amazing experience, uncrowded, and you can get some great pictures.
* Then walk or drive over to Union Station to see the three huge wreaths on the exterior, the Christmas tree inside put up by the Norwegian embassy, and see the model train display that models Norway.
* Then drive over to the White House to see the National Christmas tree. It's very crowded, but worth it.

Other things I recommend:
* See A Christmas Carol at Ford's Theater (where Lincoln was killed). It's a great production.
* Lights at the National Zoo.
* ICE at National Harbor.
* If you have a longer stay, drive down to Williamsburg and spend a couple days down there. It's a neat experience.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
I'm also going to be in DC for Christmas...with 2.5 year old nephew, 77 year old Alzheimer's Dad, and Mom who just won't take "We need to keep Christmas low key" for an answer.

I'm looking for tickets to a special concert or event suitable for the oldsters. I've tried searching event websites, but it is hard to weed out bars and bands and other non-family friendly options. Don't want to drive to Baltimore for Ice. We will definitely do the Botanic Gardens.

Can anyone recommend a family friendly website possibly w/search function that can help us find something family friendly to do.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
ICE isn't in Baltimore, it's at National Harbor (i.e. Oxon Hill, MD, a suburb of DC 15 minutes away) not the Inner Harbor.

ICE is OK, but expensive. If you want to go on X-Mas, X-Mas Eve or on a weekend around that time, you better buy tickets ASAP, as they sell out fast. You should check out their website.

The Gaylord National hotel also has some other X-Mas type stuff like a water skiing santa clause, a character breakfast, ice skating, indoor snowfall, a kiddie train, Santa photos, and a big glass X-Mas tree with a light show. It's OK, but not worth it if you don't have a car, as it is a real pain to get their via public transportation.

It's closed on X-Mas Eve and Day, but there is a holiday market in Penn Quarter near chinatown http://www.downtownholidaymarket.com/

Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post
I think you'll get some decent value in Crystal City, VA (it's technically a neighborhood of Arlington). It is full of high rise, business class hotels like the Holiday Inn, Hyatt, and Marriott. The hotels are either very close to the metro or have free shuttles. Those hotels will be empty during the X-Mas season and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a room for less than $70 a night, particuarly if you bid on priceline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC