Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:06 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times

Advertisements

doubtful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM

999 posts, read 2,010,311 times
Adams Morgan always had a rowdy element on weekends. I used to hang out in Adams Morgan during the 1990s. I recall few episodes involving bar fights, men groping women as they passed by on the sidewalk, catcalls and general drunken behavior.

Today it's worse. You have people getting jumped in alleys and sidestreets. "Beat-up" gangs would attack unsuspecting, semi-intoxicated individuals at closing time. After a beat-down, the dude may get his wallet and cell phone stolen. There have been cases during the past two years when bouncers used excessive violence to remove unruly patrons. The level of street harassment against women has increased too.

I am glad that I don't live in the Adams Morgan area.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Like I said before, if not for all the taxpayer money seeping into the local economy, DC would be worse than Detroit.
DC obviously wouldn't even exist were it not for the government. What is your point?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM

656 posts, read 648,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Adams Morgan always had a rowdy element on weekends. I used to hang out in Adams Morgan during the 1990s. I recall few episodes involving bar fights, men groping women as they passed by on the sidewalk, catcalls and general drunken behavior.

Today it's worse. You have people getting jumped in alleys and sidestreets. "Beat-up" gangs would attack unsuspecting, semi-intoxicated individuals at closing time. After a beat-down, the dude may get his wallet and cell phone stolen. There have been cases during the past two years when bouncers used excessive violence to remove unruly patrons. The level of street harassment against women has increased too.

You should carry a rape whistle if you feel truly unsafe there.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Analyzethis is right - I got jumped by a gang of Adams Morgan women in leotards the other day! They tried to suffocate me with their yoga mats. Luckily, their rival gang of farmers' marketeers leapt to my rescue and beat them back with locally grown, organic cucumbers.

(welcome back, jujulu. That didn't take long. )

Last edited by Bluefly; 11-07-2011 at 08:56 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM

688 posts, read 1,246,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That's too bad you had to see that. You should move as soon as possible. I hear Omaha Nebraska is particularly nice this time of year. It will provide you with the life you have always wanted too.
MDA- Nebraska, the Good Life. Hey- lotta peoples I love live there...please be gentle!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
(welcome back, jujulu. That didn't take long. )

Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

Hmm. I lived in Adams-Morgan in the late 80s and it was probably the best place in DC I lived. Don't recall any big problems during the week or on the weekends.

So many C-D posts focus on DC neighborhoods that are supposedly so much better/safer/cooler than they used to be. Guess some places can still go in the opposite trajectory, though most of the issues w/Adams-Morgan these days seem to focus on 18th Street on weekends.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Hmm. I lived in Adams-Morgan in the late 80s and it was probably the best place in DC I lived. Don't recall any big problems during the week or on the weekends.

So many C-D posts focus on DC neighborhoods that are supposedly so much better/safer/cooler than they used to be. Guess some places can still go in the opposite trajectory, though most of the issues w/Adams-Morgan these days seem to focus on 18th Street on weekends.
Then there are the places where the prices went way up but the safety and the amenities never improved one bit, even over all these years. That is the point I was trying to make about Mount Pleasant on the other thread.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:28 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Then there are the places where the prices went way up but the safety and the amenities never improved one bit, even over all these years. That is the point I was trying to make about Mount Pleasant on the other thread.
Not sure I'd agree with that. I think the pace of change or improvements in that neighborhood just isn't rapid enough for some people. MP's location is both its blessing and its curse - tucked away enough to be quiet, but too isolated and perhaps not enough mid-size apartment buildings to benefit from some of the development that other areas have seen.

Anyway, isn't this thread about Adams-Morgan, not Mount Pleasant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC