U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,534,144 times

Advertisements

I am early 30 something, good job, want to go do meet some new people in the city (I've been busy), do some fancy things, but not Wallstreet fancy things (not that rich yet), but not so broke that it makes it awkward. Strictly a single serving friends (haha). Sort of the 60's buddy system, where everyone dresses well, friends means a lot, and good manners. I'm little tire of all the complaining on the news and people worrying about things. The fact of the matter is, I think we all worry, but there aren't too many people willing to live it up without being vulgar or too political in this town. Since I won't be in NYC for a while, I figure, why not make DC in to NYC for now.

Remember, crime is only a crime if you hurt somebody or their livelihood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,534,144 times
Considering there are more single, career driven people in their early 30'd than DC than any other states (except for NYC and San Francisco but they tend to get married too fast), it's sorta silly that we have to conform to this bar/club scene here. I did that when I was 25 and it was great, but it seems silly to me now. I want some good conversation in a nice place, sipping a 40 year old whiskey on the rocks after a great dinner.

It's so hard to find this with a group of people here or anywhere.

I think we live in a society where being vulgar outweighs having manners and creative chats. Maybe we did something wrong from 80's on...

Of course, this is just one opinion. But you know what they say about opinions. Opinions are like A-holes, everyones got one.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 AM

656 posts, read 599,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
Considering there are more single, career driven people in their early 30'd than DC than any other states (except for NYC and San Francisco but they tend to get married too fast), it's sorta silly that we have to conform to this bar/club scene here. I did that when I was 25 and it was great, but it seems silly to me now. I want some good conversation in a nice place, sipping a 40 year old whiskey on the rocks after a great dinner.

You are probably not going to find that anywhere, since Childe Harold shut down. Most people (not just in DC) are only intested in hooking up and then vomiting all over themselves.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 19,325 times
RIP Childe Harold - what a loss that was for DC

Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,627,719 times
Go to meetup.com and they have lots of those types of groups. A book group would also be great. I don't like those personally because I don't like being told what to read but it can be fun, in school sometimes I'd be forced to read something but then I'd like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC