Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

I think it's bad because the highway and road infrastructure is not as built up as it should be for the population. When I came here, one of the first things I noticed was that the freeways and primary roads seems narrow compared to similar sized cities. I understand you can't build out of congestion and you want people to use transit, but at the same time, you have to provide as much highway and road capacity as you can. Most of the highways around DC look like they could be widened without taking too much private property. The beltway in maryland is practically in a forest. The Balt_Wash Parkway is only four lanes? Really? 50 into DC is a mess from VA and MD. 66? Seriously? And none of the highways penetrate the city.

The side streets are the same way.

Another big issue is the lack of regional transit beyond rush hours. MARC and VRE should be running all day long and on weekends like METRA in Chicago. But instead regional rail is just for commuters and doesn't go as many places as it should even for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 02:08 PM

656 posts, read 648,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The beltway in maryland is practically in a forest. The Balt_Wash Parkway is only four lanes? Really? 50 into DC is a mess from VA and MD. 66? Seriously? And none of the highways penetrate the city.
That's what I've been trying to tell people, but there seems to be NIMBY attitude of building the 16th street superhighway into the city.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:14 PM

229 posts, read 515,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
That's what I've been trying to tell people, but there seems to be NIMBY attitude of building the 16th street superhighway into the city.
How do you plan on building a 16th street "super highway" when virtually the entire road, all the way from where it intersects East West Highway down to Mount Pleasant, is tightly flanked by Rock Creek Park on one side and homes on the other? Are you talking about creating extra lanes, or just eliminating the traffic lights/stops?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:19 PM

656 posts, read 648,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
How do you plan on building a 16th street "super highway" when virtually the entire road, all the way from where it intersects East West Highway down to Mount Pleasant, is tightly flanked by Rock Creek Park on one side and homes on the other? Are you talking about creating extra lanes, or just eliminating the traffic lights/stops?
No, not creating extra lanes--razing everything that's there through eminent domain and creating a real highway.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM

229 posts, read 515,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
No, not creating extra lanes--razing everything that's there through eminent domain and creating a real highway.
Are you joking? You know how many million dollar homes are on that street?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Like I said, it's obscene when Dept of Defense adds another 6,400 jobs this year to the MARC Center in Alexandria, and another 11,000 or so this year to Fort Belvoir, BOTH sites of which are accessible only by automobile. Likewise when a few years ago DHHS moved thousands of jobs from SW DC next-door to a Metro station, out to White Oak, MD outside the Beltway.

Meanwhile there are blue, orange, and green line metro stations all over Prince Geo. County that are just begging to have adjacent development. Someone should seriously investigate why GSA or whoever, only considers building sites in the western half of the metropolitan area and hold their feet to the fire.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:01 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Like I said, it's obscene when Dept of Defense adds another 6,400 jobs this year to the MARC Center in Alexandria, and another 11,000 or so this year to Fort Belvoir, BOTH sites of which are accessible only by automobile. Likewise when a few years ago DHHS moved thousands of jobs from SW DC next-door to a Metro station, out to White Oak, MD outside the Beltway.

Meanwhile there are blue, orange, and green line metro stations all over Prince Geo. County that are just begging to have adjacent development. Someone should seriously investigate why GSA or whoever, only considers building sites in the western half of the metropolitan area and hold their feet to the fire.
To this I don't understand this either. Virginia is already overcrowded, why add on to it? While in Maryland, you have multiple Metro Station just sitting there alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu
Those are some nice homes along 16th Street and you want to tear that up along with messing with Rock Creek Park for people that shouldn't be driving. I understand that the area lack the roads but some of the traffic problems is from drivers themselves

- tailgating
- not using the left lane for passing
- switching lanes without clearance
- not merging properly

It's just not MD and VA drivers either. I've seen quite of few drivers with DC license plate doing the same thing I've listed above in and out of the city.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:20 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
PG's reputation as having higher crime, combined with fewer retail and business parks may have something to do with that. Additionally, being close to the other job centers make meetings and other things easier. When the local Apple-bees is being shot up at night, it doesn't make a business want to relocate to that general area.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
PG's reputation as having higher crime, combined with fewer retail and business parks may have something to do with that. Additionally, being close to the other job centers make meetings and other things easier. When the local Apple-bees is being shot up at night, it doesn't make a business want to relocate to that general area.
I think the PG county police could prevent some of these crime if they weren't too busy cruising on the Beltway and instead of paroling crime area.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:53 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
lol what, PGPD mostly does patrolling. yeah there are officers assigned to do traffic and traffic only but most officers are on the streets answering calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC