Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
If that's the case, then that's a sad reason to not build the highway connection (an easy solution to a major problem). Sure, some people would use the new connection to get to Dulles, but perhaps people in VA would use it to get to BWI more easily since that's where many of the region's discounted airlines fly out of.

I too have heard that VA wants to build the bridge but MD has shot it down. Not sure how factual that is, though.
Well, MD is more concerned about business travel and cargo using BWI than they are about leisure travelers flying on discounted tickets. MD has invested heavily in BWI and the plan is to get as much of that traffic and $$$$$ going through their own airport as they can. That's why there's no bridge, and why the ICC is being built. If they put a bridge in, it is guaranteed that business in Montgomery (mostly 270 corridor) will switch they business to IAD (Dulles) because it will be a much shorter trip. There's also lost business and population that will probably move to Va. if a bridge is built. I don't like these reasons, but they are what I have read over the past 14 years here. I'm with those who want the bridge to be built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
It's more than "just" a bridge. It's right of way acquisition, land management, enivironment concerns, NIMBYism, etc, not to mention the almost unbelievable cost.

As I mentioned upthread Gov. Schaffer tried to build an Outer Beltway and VA wouldn't go along with it.

http://smartergrowth.net/anx/index.c.../Outer-Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Outer_Beltway.html

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...122178899.html

Last edited by North Beach Person; 11-17-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's more than "just" a bridge. It's right of way acquisition, land management, enivironment concerns, NIMBYism, etc, not to mention the almost unbelievable cost.

As I mentioned upthread Gov. Schaffer tried to build an Outer Beltway and VA wouldn't go along with it.
That may be true. I was not here when Schaffer was Governor. Times have changed though. Now it is Maryland that refuses to build it, while Virginia was open to it.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times
Because of all the commuters from Maryland and Virginia. Simple as that.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Because of all the commuters from Maryland and Virginia. Simple as that.
I must be seeing things when I notice a car with DC license plates on them.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:50 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Exactly! Finger pointing at the suburbanites is just so easy I suppose. People in DC never drive. Eye roll.

Although I will say that traffic is much worse out here in the burbs overall. Downtown is awful beyond awful during rush hour. In the burbs the traffic is so gosh darn constant.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM

229 posts, read 515,162 times
Perhaps because Washington D.C. wasn't originally meant to be a metropolitan hub and it still maintains its original rigid infrastructure from decades ago. It also does not help that most of the prominent, heavily commuted areas of the city are marked with a series of untouchable and never-to-be disturbed landmarks that serve to stunt infrastructure enhancements and growth.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Yeah but DC residents who drive make up LESS the number of people coming inside from outside on weekdays. You have to understand that during the workweek, the district has anywhere between one and two million people in it if not more, most of them being commuters and tourists, but mostly commuters. The district's population is only around 600 thousand. And I see way more VA and MD tags when I'm sitting in traffic during rush hour.

Last edited by Yiuppy; 11-18-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
Perhaps because Washington D.C. wasn't originally meant to be a metropolitan hub and it still maintains its original rigid infrastructure from decades ago. It also does not help that most of the prominent, heavily commuted areas of the city are marked with a series of untouchable and never-to-be disturbed landmarks that serve to stunt infrastructure enhancements and growth.
I don't understand. The most congested areas are by far in the suburbs. Within the District, I'd say the worst traffic is on New York Ave and 295 at rush hour, and to a lesser degree K Street NW, which are all filled predominantly with people leaving the city for home.

Neither of those are impacted by the monuments or other landmarks.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Yeah but DC residents who drive make up LESS the number of people coming inside from outside on weekdays. You have to understand that during the workweek, the district has anywhere between one and two million people in it if not more, most of them being commuters and tourists, but mostly commuters. The district's population is only around 600 thousand. And I see way more VA and MD tags when I'm sitting in traffic during rush hour.
Fair, but I see plenty of DC tags outside of the District on weekdays. I just don't agree with it's all MD and VA commuters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC