Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

It is not the biggest city, or Metro area in the country. It has a good public transportation network, that is always expanding. New infrastructure keeps coming up. Yet traffic keeps getting worse. It took me over 2 hours to go 30 miles the other day. Why is traffic in DC, and surrounding area so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
The entire country is going in that direction. We have so little public transportation in the United States. Washington DC happens to be one of the slightly better ones on average (by U.S. standards).

If it seems bad now, it's only going to get significantly worse. Not just in metro DC, but in every metro throughout the United States.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The entire country is going in that direction. We have so little public transportation in the United States. Washington DC happens to be one of the slightly better ones on average (by U.S. standards).

If it seems bad now, it's only going to get significantly worse. Not just in metro DC, but in every metro throughout the United States.
DC is in the top 5 for worst traffic, and in 2011 was #2, usually, and in some cases #1. I just dont see how DC with its good public transportation has such bad traffic. The obvious solution is to expand the metro, and implement street cars faster.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
DC is in the top 5 for worst traffic, and in 2011 was #2, usually, and in some cases #1. I just dont see how DC with its good public transportation has such bad traffic. The obvious solution is to expand the metro, and implement street cars faster.
And that's what they are doing. Understand that there are many people commuting from out of the area who are coming for work. I fear it will increase as there is not much affordable housing here.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 PM
yrb

91 posts, read 220,272 times
Traffic in DC proper and Arlington is fine though, I mean it's not horrible. So take this to NOVA forum.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
It's not the lack of public transport that is the problem, well, except for the need to schedule more buses in some places. It's partly on those who think they are too good to ride a bus. The other part is the cost of living which is forcing people to live far away and commute in. Not to mention the crime and the awful public school systems in DC and PG which is also forcing people to move way out. There's a lot more, but the point is, the way things work now causes people to need to live way, way out in the boonies. Then they all need to get to work at the same time. Result: awful traffic. That's why.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:22 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is not the biggest city, or Metro area in the country. It has a good public transportation network, that is always expanding. New infrastructure keeps coming up. Yet traffic keeps getting worse. It took me over 2 hours to go 30 miles the other day. Why is traffic in DC, and surrounding area so bad?
Simply because massive numbers of transplants have moved to the DC area over the last 20 or so years. And the transportation infrastructure hasn't expanded quickly enough to keep up with the population growth.

The DC area is in fact the fastest growing metro area on the east coast (not including Atlanta). 5.5 million people (8.6 million in the CSA) is nothing to sneeze at. DC did not have anywhere near today's levels of traffic congestion 25 years ago.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-12-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM

656 posts, read 648,141 times
Its the "hub and spoke" design of the city's job pattern, bringing too many people into the city in cars. Suburb to suburb commuting by car is the answer.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Lastnight I read that it was the bridges that create natural bottlenecks. However, I have seen bad traffic everywhere in DC and the metro area.

Seems like they need to expand the infrastructure and the public metro system. For an area so rich this shouldnt be a problem.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Lots of people in lots of cars. The bridges are definitely a big problem as well, but then again I-270 is a big big straight highway and it's a total hell hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC