Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,984 times

Advertisements

Most poor whites live in rural areas rather and are self-sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 AM

182 posts, read 540,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I honestly can't think of one. Most large cities in the US have one like I think Baltimore, I think Dundalk and Pigtown. I'd say 20 years ago Wheaton and some parts of Alexandria. Is there still a predominantly white working class town/neighborhood anywhere in the DC area?
I can't think of one either

Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
There is no such area.

Closest think I can think of was back in the early to mid 70s, a few blocks around Ft Reno in Tenleytown were kind of....ramshackle. I would ride my bike or skateboard up there. The whites there had a bit of a grim vibe to them and their houses were old and starting to deteriorate. Some of the men would sit on lawn chairs on the sidewalk in their sleeveless t-shirts drinking cans of Ballantine or Natty Boh.

No crime or threats. Just an enclave that had a rather negative pulse to it. By the early 80s, they had all left or died off and more monied people came in. In the late 19th and early 20th century, that very area has been a black shantytown, so perhaps they were the heirs to it.

On a nationwide basis, I often wonder what has happened to the Jets, Fonzie, the Ducky Boys, Swann and Ajax, Ritchie Genarro, and all the other tough white guys from the other side of the tracks.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 AM

71 posts, read 266,593 times
Nothing like Southie in Boston. McCormick projects are the only all white projects in the US.And the oldest. Total ghetto. Self imposed for years, too.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 AM

354 posts, read 784,954 times
No white ghettos round here..especially n the city, theres not even poor white folks n DC(not refering to the suburbs)

i remember reading a couple year ago about the the poverty gap amongst white and black folks in DC was the largest in the nation.. sumthin like only 1% of DC's white residence are in poverty compared to 70% of the blacks

Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Actually Walmart is a "good job" for those without a degree because it pays some of the best wages in retail.
OMG! I can't believe you said that! I'm hearing the opposite from many others. Are you sure about this?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,688 times
I don't think so.

Someone has probably mentioned this already but when I think of a "white ghetto", South Boston, Lynn and some of its surrounding areas come to mind but that might have changed since the time I've been there.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Bethesda and Georgetown are obviously not ghettos and you are completely wrong as to the definition of the word and that's just a flip answer. By your definition, the nation of Japan is a Japanese ghetto. I'm talking about a ghetto area that is predominately white.

Ghetto: (n)
a section of a city, especially a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominately by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.
Reread that. Its an area predominatly of on ethnic group, as a result of pressures on THAT GROUP to live together.

Yes, the original "ghetto" was in Venice, and was Jewish. It included poor, middling, and wealthy jews - they were not allowed to live elsewhere in Venice though. By law.

Ghetto was then applied to any area where Jews were forced to lived by law.

it was applied to black neighborhoods in the USA at a time when real estate covenants made it hard for them to live in many other neighborhoods. At that time affluent blacks also live in the "ghetto". It was occasionally applied to areas that were overwhelmingly Jewish, even when Jews could live elsewhere, though that usage became less common.

By the 1960s, when only historians and a few Jews remembered the old usage, when most affluent blacks were streaming to the suburbs, and when the focus became on the economic problems of urban african americans, the word tended to become equivalent to slum, though usually only used for black slums.

Are there any predominanly white slums in the DC area - not really. There are pockets of blue collar whites in the suburbs, and scattered suburban white poverty, but no real concentrations like you used to find in Pigtown or Dundalk (BTW AFAICT those nabes have changed quite a bit in recent years - the whole white ethnic urban poor thing is on the decline even in baltimore)

Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
No white ghettos round here..especially n the city, theres not even poor white folks n DC(not refering to the suburbs)

i remember reading a couple year ago about the the poverty gap amongst white and black folks in DC was the largest in the nation.. sumthin like only 1% of DC's white residence are in poverty compared to 70% of the blacks
Why is there such a large poverty gap?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post

People use the term ghetto to mainly refer to poor areas, that are inhabited by an ethnic group, usually a minority. This is not incorrect use of the term ghetto, but it is not the full use either.

The poster is asking if there is a poor primarily white area in the DC area. This may not exist.

However, you need to understand that a ghetto is an area where a group of people with a common characteristic is the majority. Furthermore it implies that there are areas around the ghetto that dont have the characteristic of the ghetto. Ghetto doesnt necessarily imply a slum, a poor area, or race. What it does seem to imply is a fairly urban area though. I havent seen the term used to describe rural areas. It doesnt imply high density, as low density suburbs can be ghettos, but there seems to imply low-medium population density. It also usually as element where the people in the ghetto are segregated from people outside of the ghetto. This doesnt mean that the people outside of the ghetto are the ones doing the discrimination. The people in the ghetto could be the ones segregating themselves. It doesnt have to be hostile segregation. It could just be, "I want to only live with people of this group so let's get together and move into an area and mainly keep to ourselves within this area."

Perhaps the best examples of ghettos are poor black inner city neighborhoods. They have all the big characteristics of a ghetto, so now people tend to associate the term ghetto with poor black ghettos. So yes they are ghettos, but they are far from the only ghettos.

When i lived in Morgantown I lived in a ghetto. It was a student ghetto. The area was over 90% student. The students were from all races and social classes. Outside of the student ghetto is where the townies lived.

If there is a city that is predominantly black and there is a white enclave you could say it is a white ghetto. If there is a city that is predominantly white and poor, and then there is a rich area you could say it is a, "rich ghetto." Same thing could apply to an area full of artist, "bohemian ghetto." Hypothetically if all the police officers of DC decided to live in one area of DC you could call it a, "police ghetto." If you had a city where this a black ghetto, and due to gentrification a small area of this ghetto was torn down to build high rise apartments for yuppie you would have a, "yuppie ghetto," within a, "black ghetto." If a certain religious group decides they all want to move into an area to create a religious within a larger community they would be making a religious ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: