Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Howard University Do the Right Thing By Banning Her?
Yes 1 9.09%
No 4 36.36%
Not Sure 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times

Advertisements

Howard University Student Banned From Campus Following Dorm Room Fight (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/howard-university-student-banned-from-campus-following-dorm-room-fight-111611?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook# .TsUKfJCehs8.facebook - broken link)

Quote:
Howard University pre-med student Kierstyn Jeffries says she loves her school.

"I have a 4.0 this semester, I’m majoring in clinical laboratory science, hope to go to med school." Jeffries says.

Jeffries and her roommate got into a fight in the dorm room. "Kierstyn was injured on her lip, nose, and elbow and scratches all on her neck," says her attorney Kelli I. Neptune.

The police were called.

According to the police report, Jeffries’ roommate was yelling and cursing her about her dishes, then allegedly attacked her.
"There is evidence that the complainant was the aggressor and our client was in self defense," says her attorney Cynthia Goodwork.

The police report says Jeffries, in self defense, grabbed hot water and threw it on her roommate.
Howard University student argues self-defense in altercation with roommate - The Washington Post

Quote:
Assistant U.S. Attorney Angela Saffoe argued that Jeffries’s actions were “excessive and unnecessary and not reasonable.” The prosecutor said there were no signs of self-defense, because the victim did not have a weapon at the time of the altercation.

While the case is pending, Jeffries’s attorneys are trying to get the pre-med student, who has a 2.7 cumulative grade-point average, back into school. Since the incident, Howard has forbade her from returning to campus or even to sit in on classes via the Web, according to one of Jeffries’s attorneys, Cynthia Goode Works. Goode Works says Jeffries should be allowed to return to class at least until a verdict is returned in her case.
I want to add that I also currently have a 4.0 GPA this semester even though I'm not in school (how can you have 4.0 GPA when the semester isn't even over yet?). That fact that she really has a 2.7 GPA makes it seem as though she is trying to deceive people into thinking she's studious.

Also, is this becoming a trend, especially in this region because of the glorification of reality shows like Basketball Wives and Real Housewives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Howard University Student Banned From Campus Following Dorm Room Fight (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/howard-university-student-banned-from-campus-following-dorm-room-fight-111611?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook# .TsUKfJCehs8.facebook - broken link)

Howard University student argues self-defense in altercation with roommate - The Washington Post

I want to add that I also currently have a 4.0 GPA this semester even though I'm not in school (how can you have 4.0 GPA when the semester isn't even over yet?). That fact that she really has a 2.7 GPA makes it seem as though she is trying to deceive people into thinking she's studious.

Also, is this becoming a trend, especially in this region because of the glorification of reality shows like Basketball Wives and Real Housewives?
All I know is I wouldn't want a doctor with a 2.7 GPA working on me. She should be kicked out on that basis alone.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:50 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,137 times
Pretty silly, I thought most schools would just put you on behavioral probation for a fight. At least that's what happened to one of my old roommates. Also a 2.7 GPA doesn't really mean much for undergrad pre-meds as they don't really start learning doctor stuff till medical school, and I doubt it has any correlation to how good of a doctor someone could be in the future

Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
Pretty silly, I thought most schools would just put you on behavioral probation for a fight. At least that's what happened to one of my old roommates. Also a 2.7 GPA doesn't really mean much for undergrad pre-meds as they don't really start learning doctor stuff till medical school, and I doubt it has any correlation to how good of a doctor someone could be in the future
So someone who can't muster a 3.0 in basic classes is somehow going to morph into a great doctor? Ok you test out that theory and let me know how it works.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:58 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Do you always ask your doctors what their GPA was back when they were in school?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,528 times
Many of the best doctors tend to come from med schools renown for academic excellence. Most people with 2.7 in undergraduate studies don't get into those best schools.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,528 times
But no, I don't think they did the right thing here. Innocent until proven guilty as far as I'm concerned. The defendant had bruises indicating a physical brawl had occurred, and is small and weak compared to her alleged bully. I'd take her word that it was self defense and allow her to continue her studies until a verdict was rendered. If she was released on OR it's already enough to show that even the court didn't see much risk with letting her free while the system goes on.

Is brawling a trend? People have been fighting since always.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:26 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
All I know is I wouldn't want a doctor with a 2.7 GPA working on me. She should be kicked out on that basis alone.
You really aren't in a position to make a judgement on a doctor now. She's not in med school by the way.

She could have a 2.7 in electrical engineering, killer extra-currics, get into med school- find her own and kiss butt. It all starts over in med-school, everyone has a clean slate. A 2.7 in engineering vs a 4.0 in english- it doesn't really matter when you're dissecting a cadaver.

You know nothing of med school, so please don't write like you do.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM

23 posts, read 44,302 times
I don't think they should have kicked her out. Things happen, just give them different roommates. Now if one gets into a fight with the next roommate THEN for sure kick them out.

As far as the 4.0 future doctor, I call BS. That's a 2.7 lab tech posturing to get added sympathy. Like I said though, still unfair, to both students really. It doesn't seem like anyone got badly hurt so like I said just give them new roommates.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch_NME View Post
I don't think they should have kicked her out. Things happen, just give them different roommates. Now if one gets into a fight with the next roommate THEN for sure kick them out.

As far as the 4.0 future doctor, I call BS. That's a 2.7 lab tech posturing to get added sympathy. Like I said though, still unfair, to both students really. It doesn't seem like anyone got badly hurt so like I said just give them new roommates.
People are quite touchy over who they think should and shouldn't get into med school.

Those who get in, get in. Most have great GPA's. Some have other qualifiers.

I knew an autopsy assistant who left after he got into med school. He's a well-paid dermatologist now. He had plenty of people tell him what he couldn't do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC