Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM

656 posts, read 648,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Good God, how radical! They dare ask you what you do on the weekend? What's next? Where you were born?

They strike me as typical questions asked of newcomers to any city by people simply making conversation.

I think you and others are overanalyzing.

Unless your sex life, views on race, personal portfolio value, and family scandals would be more appropriate material for questions.
Moth, I think you skipped over the details.

The poster is talking about friending people on Facebook and then name dropping them later on to get ahead.

And that's morally wrong.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
From what I have seen thus far, yes.
Where else have you lived? This behavior is pretty universal anywhere people have career ambition. I've long felt people who endlessly complain or read into DC political behavior haven't spent much time in other centers of economic or political power.

Maybe this is just your office or field less than DC in general. I don't encounter these questions.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Moth, I think you skipped over the details.

The poster is talking about friending people on Facebook and then name dropping them later on to get ahead.

And that's morally wrong.
Not once does the OP mention online social networking. Read for comprehension and details.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Not once does the OP mention online social networking. Read for comprehension and details.
I wasn't talking about the OP, I was talking about coldbliss's post. Nowhere did I refer to the OP. If you're going to come late into the these discussions, then read the whole thread first so that you aren't just shooting from the hip.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
I wasn't talking about the OP, I was talking about coldbliss's post. Nowhere did I refer to the OP. If you're going to come late into the these discussions, then read the whole thread first so that you aren't just shooting from the hip.
The person you quoted (Moth) was directly responding to the OP and actually quoted the OP, not coldbliss.

Read for comprehension and details.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The person you quoted (Moth) was directly responding to the OP and actually quoted the OP, not coldbliss.

Read for comprehension and details.
Well I know what I was referring to in my post.

I'm not sure why your trying to insert yourself into an argument between two other people.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
So far we've eliminated friends, work, what you do on the weekends, what we've done and what we're planning to do, from appropriate subjects of conversation...I guess there's still sports.

Yeah, how about them Redskins?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
What "friends" are they mentioning? The guy they work with, the girl they met or are they saying things like " Well Senator ______________ told me the other day.........." or "The Governor wants me to _______________"? Which I hear way too frequently.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:16 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What "friends" are they mentioning? The guy they work with, the girl they met or are they saying things like " Well Senator ______________ told me the other day.........." or "The Governor wants me to _______________"? Which I hear way too frequently.
Reply: "Interesting. I had dinner with Obama at Zaytinya last week and he told me your area was being downsized, has that happened yet?"

Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Reply: "Interesting. I had dinner with Obama at Zaytinya last week and he told me your area was being downsized, has that happened yet?"

The Chief of Staff told me over drinks Monday that those plans had been changed. Governor O'Malley confirmed that this morning at our breakfast meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: