Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times

Advertisements

We'd love to have you here but honestly it would be hard to live here on that salary. As mentioned above not impossible. Y'all will need to get aplace in Stafford (it'll save you 20 minutes on the commute versus Fredricksburg). He can take the VRE commuter train but he'd still be spending 2-3 hours a day commuting.

Unless you've just always wanted to live in America, I'd just stay in Australia until a better offer came along or at least the same salary in a cheaper American city. DC is one of the most expensive cities in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM

71 posts, read 266,572 times
I live with a fam of 5 in Petworth and we work with roughly the same income. I own my house, so mortgage is less than renting, but not by too much. It is completely doable.
I'd rather live in town and play a little more than lose my soul and mind to the commute. Granted, I'm not eating at Ruth's Chris everyday, but it's not difficult either. I have 2 cars, cable and all the other stuff everyone else has. It's called being middle class. . .

Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 PM

656 posts, read 648,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
I live with a fam of 5 in Petworth and we work with roughly the same income. I own my house, so mortgage is less than renting, but not by too much. It is completely doable.
I'd rather live in town and play a little more than lose my soul and mind to the commute. Granted, I'm not eating at Ruth's Chris everyday, but it's not difficult either. I have 2 cars, cable and all the other stuff everyone else has. It's called being middle class. . .
They have Ruth's Chris in the burbs too, so why not have the best of both worlds (more money + fabulous restaurants) and live in Wheaton or Olney.

As for Petworth, that's been mentioned here as a place with drug dealing and muggings. That may not be to everyone's taste (especially if new to USA), if that's what it takes to make it in DC on $60,000/year.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usabound View Post
As title suggests we are looking at a move to DC for husbands job from Australia.

This what I know :
1. our removal costs are covered as is 2 mths temporary accom
2. he will be on $60k
3. we have 3 children (8,5,3)
4. i anticipate working but am aware this will take time
5. we have friends in Fredricksburg not sure if the commute is too far to DC?

Is this possible? He has been offered roles before but this one is kind of his"dream" job but the money is less however from everything I am told by our American friends the cost of living in US is less than Aust.

I know this is a bit vague so vague answers are also welcome

Thanks
You could support a family of 5 on 60k in the DC area, people do this on less, but it is not going to be easy. You might want to consider getting a job too,

THe cost of living in the US is generally less than Australia. However, DC is one of the more expensive areas in the US. Not sure how DC itself would compare to say Sydney, but I imagine it is either similar or less. Also the further outside of DC you get the cheaper things get.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM

71 posts, read 266,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
They have Ruth's Chris in the burbs too, so why not have the best of both worlds (more money + fabulous restaurants) and live in Wheaton or Olney.

As for Petworth, that's been mentioned here as a place with drug dealing and muggings. That may not be to everyone's taste (especially if new to USA), if that's what it takes to make it in DC on $60,000/year.
You don't get to have more money. You have to commute. Cars then mandatory. As is the fuel and insurance. You'd also be willing to give up and additional 20-30 hours of your life to your car? Sorry, no can do.

Every city has crime. This includes Olney and Wheaton. Petworth is just fine.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:30 PM

656 posts, read 648,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
You don't get to have more money. You have to commute. Cars then mandatory. As is the fuel and insurance. You'd also be willing to give up and additional 20-30 hours of your life to your car? Sorry, no can do.

Every city has crime. This includes Olney and Wheaton. Petworth is just fine.
I wouldn't live in Petworth without a car either.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
No--if I can't make it on $20,000/year, a family of five cannot do it.
That's news to me. I've been doing that for 14 years. Actually lived on less than $50,000 until this year and even less before that.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They may not be eligible due to their nationality and immigration status. I was thinking their biggest obstacle maybe health insurance. It will take a big chunk of his check. He'll pay about 300-500 every month for a family plan not to mention potential deductibles and copays.

I'm not sure what his tax situation will be but my guess is his take-home will be about 65-75% of the gross pay of $60k. At 75% that's slightly less than 4k a month. Doable but it will be tight with no govt assistance.
That's a good point. They'd probably need to have a year of work in the US to qualify as well. If they have a green card (residency) then they would qualify, but probably only after having a work history. I don't know for a fact that they need a work history, but I do know that if they have a green card they can qualify.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You could support a family of 5 on 60k in the DC area, people do this on less, but it is not going to be easy. You might want to consider getting a job too,

THe cost of living in the US is generally less than Australia. However, DC is one of the more expensive areas in the US. Not sure how DC itself would compare to say Sydney, but I imagine it is either similar or less. Also the further outside of DC you get the cheaper things get.
See I disagree, it really depends on the type of salary she can command. A lot of times the 2nd income is just eaten away by child care costs, transportation and more taxes.

Sixty thousand is doable but it's will be a stretch and it appears that it maybe a lifestyle downgrade for the OP.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:26 PM

29 posts, read 57,590 times
Thanks everyone for your replies.
We have decided against the role. We love the States & the whole point of moving there is to enjoy the role AND enjoy the US but there is not much point if we cant afford to travel etc.

Genuinely appreciate your time, hopefully will post again soon with a better outcome.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC