Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times

Advertisements

Most interesting employment you've had in Washington, DC?

Who did you work for? What kind of work did they do there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 AM

656 posts, read 649,310 times
community activist

Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 PM

126 posts, read 304,176 times
Occupy DC. Protested the disparities in monetary funds between individuals belonging to the 99% and the last 1%.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:22 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,719,008 times
I taught GED classes at the DC Jail and a half-way house. Loved the jail, I hated the half-way house. Thats just not for me. I now focus on young kids. I don't have patience for adults.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:37 PM

837 posts, read 1,799,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
I taught GED classes at the DC Jail and a half-way house. Loved the jail, I hated the half-way house. Thats just not for me. I now focus on young kids. I don't have patience for adults.
Was this a volunteer thing? I'd probably enjoy that.

To contribute, wasn't here, but I once interviewed with Playboy in Chicago. It was a verrrrrrrrrrrry awkward interview....

Old 12-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,719,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Was this a volunteer thing? I'd probably enjoy that.

To contribute, wasn't here, but I once interviewed with Playboy in Chicago. It was a verrrrrrrrrrrry awkward interview....

No, I was getting paid to do it. I have done volunteer tutoring.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 AM

230 posts, read 860,525 times
Animal caretaker at Washington Humane Society on NY Ave. Scooped poop, played with dogs, and watched crackheads and prostitutes go about their daily business.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 AM

361 posts, read 855,110 times
Fannie Mae. Given it's quasi-govt status which mixes feel good do-gooderism with gov't bureaucracy with cutthroat financial service machinations, it attracted many varied types of very talented people in lots of disciplines. Lots of smart and heady folks used to work there. And in the good old days, the resources and amenities they had were ridiculous.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,943,228 times
Capitol Hill intern. Congress is more insane than anything you hear. You always hear about the Democrats and Republicans fighting, its about as real as John Cena and CM Punk fighting; you see the fights on TV and they laugh at the stupid audience believing it behind closed doors.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM

229 posts, read 515,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Capitol Hill intern. Congress is more insane than anything you hear. You always hear about the Democrats and Republicans fighting, its about as real as John Cena and CM Punk fighting; you see the fights on TV and they laugh at the stupid audience believing it behind closed doors.
I believe it. The supposed diversity in Congree is akin to that of a conglomerate who, in the interest of "competion," creates a sub-division to its products/services, then advertising this new unit as a competitor (e.g., Coke and Sprite).

Anyway, I used to be a truck loader for a pretty big shipping company that I'll leave unnamed. I've witnessed some pretty disturbing acts caused by the loaders and sorters there, including, but not limited to, the indiscriminate theft and wanton destruction of customer items. For those employees who obstained from these practices, they traditionally were aloof or reckless with their handling of shipments, either because they did not care or because they were under the influence. I was an undergrad at the time, trying to make ends meet, and I felt myself slowly being sucked into an identical disposition as that of my co-workers, so I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC