Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,890 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Planning to relocate to DC next year. Looking for areas with best elementary/middle schools.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromAtoZ View Post
Hi there,
Planning to relocate to DC next year. Looking for areas with best elementary/middle schools.
Thanks in advance.
You're going to have to give a little bit more detail. The DC area is huge. Someone could point you to a number of directions. What's your budget? What size home are you looking for? What is the longest tolerable commute for you?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,890 times
Default More info

Thank you for taking you time to look over my question.
- House budget is up to 600k.
- Looking for a 3bdr. moderate house/town-home/condo(in that order of preference).
- Location is indeed important. We do like the city life. So, being close to the city is important. Would like to be close to the Metro as well. Wouldn't know what lines are better.
- Prepared to commute for up to 45min.to 1hr. Due to a nature of my work (working on a client's site), there is no particular area I can designate as where I would be commuting to work. Should be: DC, North VA.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromAtoZ View Post
Thank you for taking you time to look over my question.
- House budget is up to 600k.
- Looking for a 3bdr. moderate house/town-home/condo(in that order of preference).
- Location is indeed important. We do like the city life. So, being close to the city is important. Would like to be close to the Metro as well. Wouldn't know what lines are better.
- Prepared to commute for up to 45min.to 1hr. Due to a nature of my work (working on a client's site), there is no particular area I can designate as where I would be commuting to work. Should be: DC, North VA.
I would recommend Arlington, VA. Even though it is the most expensive part of the region, it fits everything that you are looking for. It has a city life (sort of), is close to DC, has plenty of Metro stations, good schools, and it is possible to find something in your price range. I will warn you that $600k won't get you much as far a home. Most homes in that price range are older and in need of updating. Another place to consider that is similar but a little further out is Falls Church and not as urban. Falls Church is a little cheaper too so you probably can find a lot more in that price range.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 24,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I would recommend Arlington, VA. Even though it is the most expensive part of the region, it fits everything that you are looking for. It has a city life (sort of), is close to DC, has plenty of Metro stations, good schools, and it is possible to find something in your price range. I will warn you that $600k won't get you much as far a home. Most homes in that price range are older and in need of updating. Another place to consider that is similar but a little further out is Falls Church and not as urban. Falls Church is a little cheaper too so you probably can find a lot more in that price range.
Last year when we were looking, there was no moderately sized 3-BR house in either Arlington or Falls Church (or any other area with decent schools) that allowed for something resembling an "urban" lifestyle (i.e. walkable - less than 1 mile - to the metro (train, not just bus) and to amenities like restaurants and grocery stores) for under 650K. Maybe that has changed, I don't know.

600K is a tight budget for a 3-BR in an area with an urban lifestyle and good schools. We were not able to stick to that budget last year, and so unfortunately I don't have any suggestions besides compromising on either the house, the schools, the urban lifestyle, or the budget...

The best elementary/middle schools in DC proper are in upper Northwest, i.e. Janney, Murch, Stoddert, Mann, Key elementary schools, and Deal Middle School. It will be hard to find a 3-BR place for under $700K in these areas. I do wish you best of luck, I know the housing situation for middle-class families in DC is very difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC