Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What can I say? This city is not for the weak. New Yorkers just choose lesser cities that they can dominate. Like DC.

Again...will your kids know what an Indian person looks like in the flesh?
Who cares lol...

O...and yes, D.C. has plenty of indian people. Have you ever been to Montgomery County?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-14-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Who cares lol...
Oh. I mean, I guess if early-bird service at Glenarden Baptist Church, Sunday dinner at Golden Corral, and Tyler Perry movies at Magic Johnson's theater is your thing, then cool. I'd just prefer to raise my kids in an urban environment where they can be exposed to Laotian, Vietnamese, Haitian, Puerto Rican, Guyanese and Dominican kids.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Oh. I mean, I guess if early-bird service at Glenarden Baptist Church, Sunday dinner at Golden Corral, and Tyler Perry movies at Magic Johnson's theater is your thing, then cool. I'd just prefer to raise my kids in an urban environment where they can be exposed to Laotian, Vietnamese, Haitian, Puerto Rican, Guyanese and Dominican kids.
That explains why you live in Brooklyn with all black people. LOL...Manhattan has no black people by the way except in Harlem! Segregation at it's finest!

My kids will be raised right. Just like I was. Being exposed to different cultures has to do with the friends you keep. Since I have friends from all walks of life, I won't have to worry about my family being cultured. You don't have to live in a neighborhood with every race for your children to be exposed to different cultures. Maybe you should try to do things with your kids and get out of your neighborhood so they can explore. Don't be a dead beat dad! Stop trying to allow the neighborhood to raise your kids for you.

O...and by the way, D.C. is one of the most diverse places in the nation and is more diverse than Philadelphia, Boston, or Baltimore. On the east coast, it's New York which is more diverse than anywhere in the country, then it's D.C. I think we are doing just fine.

Based on that other comment, I take it you don't go to church. Sad really....

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-14-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
O...and by the way, D.C. is one of the most diverse places in the nation and is more diverse than Philadelphia, Boston, or Baltimore. On the east coast, it's New York which is more diverse than anywhere in the country, then it's D.C. I think we are doing just fine.
No, the DC Metro Area is diverse. The District of Columbia is not. I already said that I'm staying in the city. If I had stayed in DC, my kids would have had to go to all black Banneker or elite white/ghetto black Wilson. Central H.S. in Philly is 1/4 black, 1/4 white, 1/4 Asian and 1/4 Hispanic. You're not going to find that type of diversity in DC, particularly in a magnet school. You're also not going to find a curriculum as rigorous as Masterman in Philly or Boston Latin. Then there's the cultural education that comes along with being in a big, diverse city. C'mon, man! Philly's culture has DC's non-existent, suburban culture beat by a long shot.

Quote:
Based on that other comment, I take it you don't go to church. Sad really....
There goes that close-mindedness. Do you believe that the Haitians are suffering because they made a deal with the Devil?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
He doesn't realize that most people root for the D.C. teams when they move here eventually in addition to their old hometown teams.
Mmm hmm.

Phillies Fans own Nationals Park - YouTube

Phillies Fans Approach Nationals Stadium - YouTube

Redskins fans leaving while Philly fans taunt them - YouTube

Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
No, the DC Metro Area is diverse. The District of Columbia is not. I already said that I'm staying in the city. If I had stayed in DC, my kids would have had to go to all black Banneker or elite white/ghetto black Wilson. Central H.S. in Philly is 1/4 black, 1/4 white, 1/4 Asian and 1/4 Hispanic. You're not going to find that type of diversity in DC, particularly in a magnet school. You're also not going to find a curriculum as rigorous as Masterman in Philly or Boston Latin. Then there's the cultural education that comes along with being in a big, diverse city. C'mon, man! Philly's culture has DC's non-existent, suburban culture beat by a long shot.

There goes that close-mindedness. Do you believe that the Haitians are suffering because they made a deal with the Devil?
Kind of how Manhattan is not diverse. D.C. is shaping up to be a short Manhattan and that is just the way it is. D.C. is going to be building high rises for a very long time and it is going to be completely full of them on every main thoroughfare soon. D.C. is projected to add 74,000 residents by 2020 and they will all be living in high rises. People are just going to have to get used to D.C. being like Manhattan. Whether we like it or not, it is what it is.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Kind of how Manhattan is not diverse.
Manhattan
48% White
13% Black
11% Asian
25% Hispanic

DC
50% Black
38% White
3% Asian
9% Hispanic

The two largest racial categories in DC make up 88% of the population. And "black" is almost exclusively African American in DC whereas "black" could be Jamaican, Ghanaian, or Senegalese in Manhattan.

Breaking Down the Black Myth - YouTube

Quote:
People are just going to have to get used to D.C. being like Manhattan. Whether we like it or not, it is what it is.
DC will NEVER be anything like Manhattan. It just needs to focus on being the best DC it can be.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Manhattan
48% White
13% Black
11% Asian
25% Hispanic

DC
50% Black
38% White
3% Asian
9% Hispanic

The two largest racial categories in DC make up 88% of the population. And "black" is almost exclusively African American in DC whereas "black" could be Jamaican, Ghanaian, or Senegalese in Manhattan.

Breaking Down the Black Myth - YouTube

DC will NEVER be anything like Manhattan. It just needs to focus on being the best DC it can be.
LOL...Hilarious! Have you ever heard of Langley Park? It touches the D.C. line. D.C. is tiny. That is why it's called the DMV. Going to Langley Park is like going to the Bronx. It's all the same thing. People go in and out across lines all the time. Did you actually live here? You can't use the same border metrics for New York as D.C. We have a dynamic that doesn't exist anywhere else. D.C. is a district. Maryland is a state. Virginia is a state.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
LOL...Hilarious! Have you ever heard of Langley Park. It touches the D.C. line. D.C. is tiny. That is why it's called the DMV. It's all the same thing. People go in and out across lines all the time. Did you actually live here?
Let's not even have a discussion about which city has a better cross-section of the entire African diaspora from Panamanians to Belizians to Bajans to Togolese to Guyanese to Venezuelan to Brazilian to Nigerian to Trinidadian to black expats from Scandinavia. It's too one-sided to be entertaining.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:30 PM

By the way, Manhattan is completely segregated! Nobody is intermingling so you can throw that whole diversity thing out the window. It's not a suburb! You might want to look at the racial neighborhood breakdown in Manhattan.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC